• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has anyone run 18" wheels on a '13 PP

Started by lamrith, March 14, 2018, 12:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Probably seems a bit of an odd question, it is adding quite a bit of sidewall and probably reducing cornering performance...

But I have been thinking about new wheels for the SHO on a budget and keep seeing really good deals on 18" mustang wheels, even some spotless take off 18x9 GT500's for ~$600 locally for a full set of 4 with good tires.

I am thinking the extra sidewall might smooth out the ride a bit as I feel it currently ride a bit harsh and want put H&R's on it to drop the stance but hear they ride rougher than PP?

Has anyone run 18's as a summer setup, or have good side pictures of a sho with 18's and prope diameter tires?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SkinnyTick

I run 235/60 18s for the winter. They are about half an inch taller than the factory 245/45-20.

Obviously, summer performance tires will be stiffer than snow tires but the extra sidewall makes it much more comfortable over my 20" set.

Side note...I was very close to going with 2013 GT500 PP wheels but couldn't find any good deals. I think you should go for them :)
2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic
Megan Coilovers | MDesign Intake | Catted PPE Downpipes | VTA
Summer Shoes: Silver Drag DR37 20X8.5 38MM with General Gmax AS05 255/45R20
Winter Shoes: Anthracite Sport ST7 18X8 35MM with Blizzak DMV2 235/60R18

lamrith

Quote from: SkinnyTick on March 14, 2018, 10:39:48 PM
I run 235/60 18s for the winter. They are about half an inch taller than the factory 245/45-20.

Obviously, summer performance tires will be stiffer than snow tires but the extra sidewall makes it much more comfortable over my 20" set.

Side note...I was very close to going with 2013 GT500 PP wheels but couldn't find any good deals. I think you should go for them :)
WOW, that is a big tire and lot of sidewall.  Looks lowered?  H&R's?

Yeah I am sort of going opposite of everyone and looking to brighten the wheels with polished/alum rather than black them out.  This is the set I found local...
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SkinnyTick

Lowered about 2" in the rear on Megan coilovers.

Definitely go with polished, black is so played out, even more so that 5-star Saleens.

*Edit*
Pic is too small...which wheels? These?

or these?
2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic

lamrith

Quote from: SkinnyTick on March 14, 2018, 11:20:41 PM

Definitely go with polished, black is so played out, even more so that 5-star Saleens.

*Edit*
DOH!  Sorry about that, here is larger image, looks more like the top one.

derfdog15

Quote from: lamrith on March 15, 2018, 02:09:10 PM

*Edit*

Looks like those are either a RTR wheel, AMR , Forgestar, or one of the many variants of that style. Those are NOT GT500 wheels.

Check if they have a ford stamping on the inside of them if you go to look at them. If so then they are likely the RTR wheel, though I'm not sure what size those are. If they are OE ford wheels, that is still a steal assuming the tires are in good shape. If they are reps it isn't as good a deal but still a pretty good deal depending on tire condition.

If they are not ford stamped, and ff the tires are 50-75% used up, then $600 is too much for reps. I would say go with an RTR rep or the American muscle AMR (https://www.americanmuscle.com/silver-amr-wheels-1013.html) at that point. You'd be in it ~ 600 for 4 brand new AMR wheels from American muscle with lifetime structural warranty, and a year of finish warranty. I loved my AMRs in gloss black on my sho, though I ran em in a 20.

With mustang wheels, remember, the offset is a little different and the wheels will not look identical to stock SHO wheels with regards to the wheelwell location. Bolt patern is the same though. You would likely want to go with a different tire than stock size for a mustang 18, look up the PI wheel size, or the SE/SEL taurus 18 wheel size, I don't remember it off the top of my head but either/both of those should work just fine. You can also do a tire size comparison between your stock size and whatever size you are looking at.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

lamrith

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 15, 2018, 03:47:50 PM
Quote from: lamrith on March 15, 2018, 02:09:10 PM

*Edit*

Looks like those are either a RTR wheel, AMR , Forgestar, or one of the many variants of that style. Those are NOT GT500 wheels.

Check if they have a ford stamping on the inside of them if you go to look at them. If so then they are likely the RTR wheel, though I'm not sure what size those are. If they are OE ford wheels, that is still a steal assuming the tires are in good shape. If they are reps it isn't as good a deal but still a pretty good deal depending on tire condition.

If they are not ford stamped, and ff the tires are 50-75% used up, then $600 is too much for reps. I would say go with an RTR rep or the American muscle AMR (https://www.americanmuscle.com/silver-amr-wheels-1013.html) at that point. You'd be in it ~ 600 for 4 brand new AMR wheels from American muscle with lifetime structural warranty, and a year of finish warranty. I loved my AMRs in gloss black on my sho, though I ran em in a 20.

With mustang wheels, remember, the offset is a little different and the wheels will not look identical to stock SHO wheels with regards to the wheelwell location. Bolt patern is the same though. You would likely want to go with a different tire than stock size for a mustang 18, look up the PI wheel size, or the SE/SEL taurus 18 wheel size, I don't remember it off the top of my head but either/both of those should work just fine. You can also do a tire size comparison between your stock size and whatever size you are looking at.
Here is a copy of the listing..  I see the "fine print" now saying "style".
QuoteShelby GT 500 style wheel/tire set. Wheels almost new, no curb rash.

- 4 ea. 18' x 9' wheels, fit all 2005-2014 Mustangs V-6 to Shelby GT500, possibly 2015 - 2018, too.
- 2 ea. 255 50 18 front tires. 50% +/- worn
- 2 ea. 255 55 18 rear tires. 25% +/- worn

derfdog15

So the PI Taurus uses a 245/55R18

Those are some aftermarket center caps, not OE as well, so those don't add value on that set IMO.

The wheels are reps, but not even GT500 reps, seller doesn't really know what they are, and just put that due to the center caps most likely (A LOT of cragislist mustang wheels get listed as the wrong style because people are told something wrong, or they have a different center cap, and people don't know)

The front tires, are .6" shorter, and .4" wider compared to the PI OE Size. Speed would be slightly off (~1.5 mph at 70) with these on all 4 corners.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Rear tires are .4" taller and .4" wider compared to the PI OE size. Speed would be ~1 mph off with those on all 4 corners.

Between the front and rear tires ON THOSE RIMS, the difference is 1" in height, and same width. There is a difference of 3.6% in circumference. This COULD cause AWD issues if you ran that tire size.

IMO I would tell the guy you wanted to look at them, assuming you like the style, and they finish isnt damaged (no curbing). Go with $400 cash in your pocket and make that your max. I'm not sure if the way its listed means the rears have 25% life left, or 75% left.

You would almost assuredly want to change tires to run on the SHO. Depending on the rim brand they could be good rims that cost $200+ per rim, or they could be really cheap that cost 80-100 per rim, or intermediate like the AMR.

If you want to, ask the seller to get you pictures of the inside of the wheels, all of the stamping. There should be some stamping saying size, to confirm 18x9. There should also be stamping to help determine manufacturer.

I'm fairly certain those are silver AMRs or similar from what I can see of the spoke patern. Offset is likely 35mm which will fit fine on the SHO but again, wont be identical to your stock setup.

If you aren't hard pressed to get the wheels rn, I would wait or knock the guy down in price. I've seen the stock Bullet style wheels for $200 with really nice tires on them. Again its totally your call but IMO those aren't worth $600 second hand. It also doesnt mention tire brand, so they could be cheap
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

lamrith

Thanks Derf!

I had planned to change the tires out for sure if I went with that set.  Was debating sort term on going for taller or shorter of what was there.
Biggest question was how 18's look with a appropriate size tire.  I would appreciate the softer ride, but at the same time so not want to be floating along either and not sold on the tall sidewall look at this point.

New AMR's is what I have been thinking about.  Rather get 19 or 20" but seems hard to find 19x9 or 20x9.  No rush at all, so I will just keep waiting I am sure somethign will pop up.

lamrith

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 15, 2018, 04:38:02 PM
So the PI Taurus uses a 245/55R18
FYI - I have a '13 PP, stock on the car is 245/45-20, your info in general though is all much appreciated in regards to the wheels.

So, I know 2010+ mustang wheels fit, what about the 2005-2010 ones?

SkinnyTick

Some more info to add.
Those are the 2011/2012 GT500PP style wheels. However, I believe the Fords only came in a 19" charcoal tint.
Get pictures of the inside of the rims, if they happen to be Forgestars jump on them quick, otherwise pass on them. :)

I went with knock-offs of that style rim for summer.

*edit*
2005-2010 factory wheels had a high offset, something like 45mm.

Play with this calculator:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/
2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic

derfdog15

Quote from: SkinnyTick on March 15, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
Some more info to add.
Those are the 2011/2012 GT500PP style wheels. However, I believe the Fords only came in a 19" charcoal tint.
Get pictures of the inside of the rims, if they happen to be Forgestars jump on them quick, otherwise pass on them. :)

IIRC the 2011/2012 GT500 PP Wheels have 8 sets of pockets, while from what I can see of the pics OP put up, there are only 7 pockets, which is why I went for RTR/RTR Rep/AMR etc.

Totally agree, if they happen to be forgestars take em for $600, flip em for $1500, buy whatever you want, or keep em and have some fancy jonnies.

I ran the 20x8.5 AMR (I believe they only come in 20x8.5 and 20x10 for 20s) and loved them. I don't know that 05-09 mustang wheels will work out, but you can compare the offset. If its close to the stock SHO offset they should, but they may tuck more or poke more, depending which direction they go.

For the AMR 19s, I believe the two sizes are 19x8.5 and 19x11.

I mentioned the PI wheel size, 245/55R18 , since thats an OEM size for 18s on a taurus, and should be a pretty good fit, plus you could get a general idea of how it would look by looking at pics of PI Taurus's. I believe the same size is used on the SEL/SE models with 18s as well. You can ofcourse go with a different size, it just is a tried and true size already so I know you will be able to do everything you need with a 245/55/18 on the SHO.

If you plan to get new tires anyway, you may want to just hop on some new AMRs, you'd spend just about that $600 tag for 4 new ones straight from American Muscle. If you wait till the next 'holiday' they usually run some decent coupons, and they also have forum discount codes that you may be able to get your hands on, most mustang guys know atleast one of the ones in rotation. I used a combination of black friday bigger discounts and the 6% forum code to get my 5x AMRs and made out like a theif when i did so. Unfortunately due to the predicament of my SHO, I only have one AMR (my fullsized spare). if I had a decent set id hook you up for sure.