• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Discovered a track near me

Started by BoostfoSHO, March 10, 2018, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

Quote from: BoostfoSHO on March 10, 2018, 07:26:30 AM
I was launching right between 1800 and 2000rpms... Both my 13.3 runs we're in Drive and my 13.1 and 13.2were in sport. I don't know if it was supposed to make a difference but I got lower times when I switched to sport...

Yes, you should be running in "sport" for sure.  As I understand it that changes some of the parameters for throttle response and shifting.  For my car, the runs I forgot to put it in S and ran in D, would be about 1-3 tenths slower.  I would also make sure you have traction control turned off.  And Turn off the A/C.  Don't turn the heater on either.  Just turn the whole system off.  I have no idea why, but every time I left the heater on I ran 1-2 tenths slower. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Blackhawk

4000 isn't great but certainly not as bad as what the folks deal with in Colorado. Even with that 60 I would have expected a bit better with downpipes.

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 11, 2018, 08:47:23 PM
Quote from: BoostfoSHO on March 10, 2018, 07:26:30 AM
I was launching right between 1800 and 2000rpms... Both my 13.3 runs we're in Drive and my 13.1 and 13.2were in sport. I don't know if it was supposed to make a difference but I got lower times when I switched to sport...

Yes, you should be running in "sport" for sure.  As I understand it that changes some of the parameters for throttle response and shifting.  For my car, the runs I forgot to put it in S and ran in D, would be about 1-3 tenths slower.  I would also make sure you have traction control turned off.  And Turn off the A/C.  Don't turn the heater on either.  Just turn the whole system off.  I have no idea why, but every time I left the heater on I ran 1-2 tenths slower.
Yes I noticed the 2 tenths drop in sport mode. And I did have the whole AC system off. The guy lining up the cars tells you to turn it off before running.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: Blackhawk on March 11, 2018, 09:40:11 PM
4000 isn't great but certainly not as bad as what the folks deal with in Colorado. Even with that 60 I would have expected a bit better with downpipes.
I did too expect at least high 12s.  I wonder is having the cut outs open decrease performance. I'll have to run next time with them closed.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...

Agentlongwood

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly... Traction control off?  93 octane fuel?  If nothing seems wrong, I would datalog some 1/4 mile runs and have AJP check them.  If there is something amiss he's sure to find it.

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 11, 2018, 09:50:48 PM
It sounds like you're doing everything correctly... Traction control off?  93 octane fuel?  If nothing seems wrong, I would datalog some 1/4 mile runs and have AJP check them.  If there is something amiss he's sure to find it.
Unfortunately I only have 91oct available in my area so that may be why. I was able to datalog the 13.2 run I already sent it to him. I'm on revision 8 or my tune I doubt anything else could be done. I was having an issue with my turbos and wastegates but it seemed to have been related to my wastegate mod and I think Brad got it tuned correctly now.
I'm gonna install meth next so hopefully that'll get me into the 12s

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

Agentlongwood

Aha, I bet the 91 octane is the culprit.  I'm running 93 octane, and I got lined up at the track with a SHO that had the same mods and an E30 tune.  I ran 104mph he ran 112mph.  We were neck and neck till almost the 1/8th mile.  On the big end though, he absolutely walked away from me.  So from my limited experience, I think higher octane lets you tune to be much faster.   

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 11, 2018, 11:23:43 PM
Aha, I bet the 91 octane is the culprit.  I'm running 93 octane, and I got lined up at the track with a SHO that had the same mods and an E30 tune.  I ran 104mph he ran 112mph.  We were neck and neck till almost the 1/8th mile.  On the big end though, he absolutely walked away from me.  So from my limited experience, I think higher octane lets you tune to be much faster.
Yes I figured, Brad has mentioned to more than once that my 91 fuel is crap lol

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

AJP turbo

Couple things that I see in your track log that add up and make sense of it. Your IAT's were at about 145 before your run even started and ended at 152 so that's pretty warm. If your IAT's were closer to 100 that would be worth about 5 degrees of spark. Your spark tuning looked great as far as the amount of KR..You never had more than about 1.5 degrees of KR and near the end of the run your knock sensors were adding a bit of spark.

Your OAR was at -1 so even if your fuel is so-so it still was giving the expected octane...Your spark is low but that is what we were commanding due to the 91 and the IAT compensations but it is all good...If you had an odd amount of KR or OAR was higher then you could say something was amiss

You were only hitting 8-11 degrees of spark on your run...That's pretty much the culprit...I think you normally need about 15-18 degrees of spark at 13-14 psi to hit mid 12's.

And on top of your lower spark add to that the crappy DA and I'd say there you have it

I would say if you get your meth on you will get to where you want to go...The IAT's will come down which alone will give spark but you will get more octane which will allow us to command more spark and boost if we want because the fuel assist is there.....That's my synopsis.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 12, 2018, 03:57:44 AM
Couple things that I see in your track log that add up and make sense of it. Your IAT's were at about 145 before your run even started and ended at 152 so that's pretty warm. If your IAT's were closer to 100 that would be worth about 5 degrees of spark. Your spark tuning looked great as far as the amount of KR..You never had more than about 1.5 degrees of KR and near the end of the run your knock sensors were adding a bit of spark.

Your OAR was at -1 so even if your fuel is so-so it still was giving the expected octane...Your spark is low but that is what we were commanding due to the 91 and the IAT compensations but it is all good...If you had an odd amount of KR or OAR was higher then you could say something was amiss

You were only hitting 8-11 degrees of spark on your run...That's pretty much the culprit...I think you normally need about 15-18 degrees of spark at 13-14 psi to hit mid 12's.

And on top of your lower spark add to that the crappy DA and I'd say there you have it

I would say if you get your meth on you will get to where you want to go...The IAT's will come down which alone will give spark but you will get more octane which will allow us to command more spark and boost if we want because the fuel assist is there.....That's my synopsis.
Thank you for the lesson. I will work on getting the meth on as soon as I can. Next time I'll pop the hood and try to keep it cooled down.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

Gray Brick

Brad,

What IAT2 temps do you typically see when using 100% meth?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---