• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Led bulb question

Started by Gjkrisa, March 06, 2018, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gjkrisa

So my father in law bought these Led lights that after a few months start flickering I know typically they are soldered bad.
But looking at this one noticed the cap is a little bolged so I'm assuming the cap is bad
Anyone known of anything else to look at or how to test it and maybe a good electrical supply store?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

ecoboostsho

Was it in a closed fixture? Some LEDs can't handle an enclosed fixture and overheat which probably explains the bulged cap and flickering. Not sure how to test it... unfortunately your best bet is probably a replacement but maybe someone else will chime in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Gjkrisa

Yea the driver is wrapped in tape and just placed in the middle of this the LEDs actually mount to it I doubt it gets over 100c in there but maybe

derfdog15

A good multimeter will have a cap test option/slot. That said, its probably cheaper to buy a new cap and swap it than to buy a tester/multimeter if you don't have one already.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Gjkrisa

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 07, 2018, 02:55:38 PM
A good multimeter will have a cap test option/slot. That said, its probably cheaper to buy a new cap and swap it than to buy a tester/multimeter if you don't have one already.
Yea I was going to try giving my local electric shop my business but they didn't have what I needed so amazon it is.