• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cracked pipe? Bad BOV?

Started by TopherSho, March 06, 2018, 04:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

So, got the rig back on the road and am FINALLY back on the Brad-Trai Meth tune,  But I have a new noise.. i think i accidentally modded my BOV or pipe. :P  (attached mp3)

I am about 99% sure its BOV related.  From my reading it appears the BOV feeds a pipe from each turbo BACK into the intake.  So Questions 1, 2

1) Am i freaking out?  or shrug my shoulders and fix it later.  is it safe to leave a cracked pipe that leads to my intake in play?
2) is it a HARD PIPE coming off the turbo waste-gate? Could it be a issue there?

Ultimately I will have to crawl under it.. but I don't want to right now.. unless it is a critical issue.. what do you fine gents think?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

There is no need to crawl under! It's staring right @ you my friend.
Where's the noise coming from Front or Rear of the motor ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on March 06, 2018, 05:01:19 PM
There is no need to crawl under! It's staring right @ you my friend.
Where's the noise coming from Front or Rear of the motor ?  Z

No idea.  i want to say front ..  and the only reason i say that is because it is loud as hell and i would think it would be more muted in the back between the firewall and block.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

For a second I thought the title read "crack pipe" and was ready to pull out my hookah.  How disappointing!

I dont think they use hard pipes as oem in the turbo tract,  could be a broken plastic connector-joiner.  Easiest thing to do is check the small pipes atop the intake manifold and go from there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Hmph .. I'm not seeing anything... The electronic bov hooks right up to the intake.  I do not hear any hissing for a vacuum leak.. I wonder if it is pushing past the silly clamps Ford uses.. 

ZSHO

If my memory serves me right the rear turbo was replaced recently correct ?   
If so would check and inspect the charge pipes for any loose clamps possibly left or caused by the dealer.
Check the BOV functionality to make sure they are working as designed.
I would also try swapping the BOV and monitor for any changes in pronounced sound from front to rear of the engine.
Check for any codes set!  Z

Check list of Parts below.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/134oYkJcNyjhtLRblBSXOb7zwEm67yHBGSGf4MAr7bAE/edit?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

The BoV 'looks' like it is glued in place? 

It doesn't sound like it's a bad gate, it sounds like it is venting to atmosphere. I will have to keep looking,. Sigh... This car...

Both turbos were replaced.  I'm betting on cracked or loose charge pipe.. but should I hear a intake leak???

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on March 06, 2018, 09:30:11 PM
The BoV 'looks' like it is glued in place? 

It doesn't sound like it's a bad gate, it sounds like it is venting to atmosphere. I will have to keep looking,. Sigh... This car...

Both turbos were replaced.  I'm betting on cracked or loose charge pipe.. but should I hear a intake leak???
No.. But you will need to check all the hoses with a fine tooth comb IMO .  Z

TopherSho

meh,  i'm taking it back to ford.  they did the work and hooked all the charge pipe bits up.  Its on them to fix it this time.

dubcitySHO

My inner ricer loves the sound.  Kinda reminds me of the old vids of duck calls etc attached to venting bov's.  Man do I miss my DSM days.....

Hope it gets resolved quickly for you topher. 

2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

TopherSho

"Verdict" .. /sigh/ .. The BoV is ''suspect'' but is not failing,  so it is not getting replaced yet.  They claim it is noisy due to the increased boost ..

sigh.   

derfdog15

Quote from: TopherSho on March 07, 2018, 11:16:27 PM
"Verdict" .. /sigh/ .. The BoV is ''suspect'' but is not failing,  so it is not getting replaced yet.  They claim it is noisy due to the increased boost ..

sigh.

Just get hotpipes with a tial and remove the headache of factory components that "fail" due to "increased boost" which is the techs way of saying we don't know why its failing, but we don't want to make ford pay to replace it.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

R there any signs of oil present around the BOV ?
IMO it sounds like the larger inner seal that fluctuates is bad based on the audio ^^^.
I would check,inspect the BOV seal which in time get brittle with age! Pics below. 
The Two bolt's can be easily removed using an 8mm socket.  Z

TopherSho

I will do it after the family trip.. :)

TopherSho

Update ::  It 'appears' to be a tune issue.  Not yet confirmed .. but reverting to a slightly older tune stops the BoV from squawking weird...