• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Had to add to brake fluid reservoir twice in three months

Started by ncole, March 05, 2018, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncole

Like the title says, I have had to add brake fluid twice in the last three months.  Basically on hard accelerations a little alarm goes crazy (actually very alarming!) and the light comes on momentarily and sometimes a readout says low brake fluid or something. It truly was low both times and I added to it back to full.  I figure if I fill it this early in its progress I shouldn't have any issues of damage and I have not noticed any lack of performance or rather change in performance as I have always wished for more initial bite with these brakes. 

I plan to change my oil this week.  With that in mind I am looking for any known issues or any places I should key in on.  I have not noticed any leaks, but with the heat shield under there who knows. I do have Powerstop brakes that I installed last summer, but as this is a newer problem I don't think that is it.  I assume this is a slow leak, and fear it might actually be a rusty line. I think if it were a loose fitting, it would start slow and eventually just give way to no brakes at all.
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

ZSHO

It could be the master cylinder leaking IMO and would check the lines going to the brake fluid reservoir.
I would also inspect and check the brake lines for any such leaks due to rust and corrosion and the elements.

Did you bleed the brakes when you installed the Powerstops ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ncole

Quote from: ZSHO on March 05, 2018, 01:09:10 PM
It could be the master cylinder leaking IMO and would check the lines going to the brake fluid reservoir.
I would also inspect and check the brake lines for any such leaks due to rust and corrosion and the elements.

Did you bleed the brakes when you installed the Powerstops ?  Z

No, I used a C-clamp and the special turn down tool I believe to compress for new pads and left the system un-opened. 
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

ZSHO

There is a seal coming from the master cylinder which overtime starts to leak .
Check for any leaks as mentioned ^^^.
Check for any codes? 
Does the brake pedal feel like its rubbing?  Z

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2011/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/brakes-cat/hydraulic-system-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The master cylinder can leak as noted, and you wont see a leak because the fluid is pooling in the booster.  Infrequent,  but it can and does happen.  Have not heard of ABS/HCU issues be symptomless either.  Swollen brake hoses could be a possibility.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ncole

No codes, and the feel has not changed since I have had the car.  Upgrading the brakes got rid of the shakes and did have a noticeable effect on higher speed braking, but the initial bite and the overall feel is/was the same.

I will check those things.  I assume item 2 and both in item 4 from that diagram.  I feel better about it not being the lines as I looked at the type of lines used, and they are quality lines that pass salt spray testing that any 2011 model should not show signs of rust through symptoms.

If it is the master cylinder, should I just upgrade to the 2013+?  Are they direct replacements?  Also, if I am in there should I do the brake booster to 2013+ as well?  Direct replacement? On Rock Auto, I am only out ~$150 for both.

SHOdded

If it is the MC, def take the opp to upgrade both.  IIRC, there may be some bending of brake lines involved  for perfect fit, but that is all detailed  in metalmaster's HOWTO.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

@- Ncole How many miles on your SHO ?  I would also perform a brake system flush if not done so already for good mesures. Best of luck and keep us updated.  Z

ncole

Quote from: ZSHO on March 05, 2018, 05:23:04 PM
@- Ncole How many miles on your SHO ?  I would also perform a brake system flush if not done so already for good mesures. Best of luck and keep us updated.  Z

about 105k.  I have not done that, so that would be a good time.  I did cooling system, PTU, trans, and rear diff about 10k ago, but guess I neglected the braking system and power steering system.

SHOdded

power steering is electric, so you are g2g re: fluid since none is required.

irondoor19

Check the Brake Hoses at the Connection Ends BOTH to the Calipers,
and make sure you do not have a leak there, May be the crush washers...!
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,