• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Opp or opt for meth

Started by Dxlnt1, March 03, 2018, 09:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

Don't remember who, but Im coming into Arizona next weekend (3/9/18). I am wanting to see someones meth install preferably on a SHO.

1. Is anyone available to show me their install?
2. Is anyone available that can perform install if I choose to do so that weekend?
3. Cant remember company but any benefit doing typical install vs the port injection manifold? Seems in Ventura, CA somewhere

AJPTurbo, I think your tune was able to get good numbers without meth. If its you in Arizona can we meet up to discuss?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

AJP turbo

Nope I'm in Pennsylvania!

The direct port is probably the best way to go but I'd say not necessary. With Direct port you won't see the cooling but that doesn't really matter since the octane is there
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

bpd1151

Trying to recall (as it's been many years) since my install.

I think mine took just under 10hrs total.

But that's with a 2nd person assisting, and both being proficient/familiar with the necessary procedures involved.

The individual port install looks cool, and distributes the meth in a more even matter across both banks, but there's no proven improvement in performance per se.

Save the expense IMHO. Good luck!

Dxlnt1

The company was Prometh.

https://prometh.com/collections/nozzles-nozzles-packages

However the SHO manifold is not on there website anymore. I read somewhere for the "extra" cooling affect a 7th nozzle was installed before the throttle body.

From an economical standpoint the AJP tune may be the better choice. we Spoke briefly on the subject, Im was trying to justify spending anymore on this car. And still unsure but I am also considering relocating to Arizona in couple years!
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

If relocating to AZ, you would want to look at upping the E content also, if not completely upgrading to E85.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on March 03, 2018, 10:52:59 AM
The company was Prometh.

. I read somewhere for the "extra" cooling affect a 7th nozzle was installed before the throttle body.

That is kind of dumb and a waste of money and work to be honest...You don't really want or need the cooling just for the sake of cooling...Think of it this way, if your IAT's were 200 degrees but you had no knock or knock retard because you had  super high octane fuel then what is the point of cooling the air charge?

Most people that add intercoolers or true cold air intakes think they are doing it to because the colder air charge is better at resisting pre-ignition and that is somewhat true but the real benefit of cooling the aircharge is that the ECU won't have to apply the IAT spark compensations and that is where the real power comes from.

Turbo dragsters have the compressors feeding right into the intake manifold with NO intercooler so the charge air temps are really high but it doesn't matter because they are using alcohol that cools and has super high octane

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

mjhpadi

Quote from: AJP turbo on March 03, 2018, 12:15:04 PM
The company was Prometh.

Speaking of fuel engines used or dragsters and funny cars, the turbo is a rarity anymore as most use superchargers again feeding directly into the intake. The alcohol dragsters/funnies do use alcohol but the nitro cars are usually only running about a 10% alcohol fuel. Just FYI.
. I read somewhere for the "extra" cooling affect a 7th nozzle was installed before the throttle body.

That is kind of dumb and a waste of money and work to be honest...You don't really want or need the cooling just for the sake of cooling...Think of it this way, if your IAT's were 200 degrees but you had no knock or knock retard because you had  super high octane fuel then what is the point of cooling the air charge?

Most people that add intercoolers or true cold air intakes think they are doing it to because the colder air charge is better at resisting pre-ignition and that is somewhat true but the real benefit of cooling the aircharge is that the ECU won't have to apply the IAT spark compensations and that is where the real power comes from.

Turbo dragsters have the compressors feeding right into the intake manifold with NO intercooler so the charge air temps are really high but it doesn't matter because they are using alcohol that cools and has super high octane

2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Dxlnt1

The company was Prometh.

Good point. I still would like seeing an actual install. I don't like a upgrade to look like a upgrade. A true sleeper is all go and little show. That's been my premise for all my changes on all my cars.

StealBlueSho

My install took around 8 hours, but I leaned heavily on BPD1151's How to post(Thank you again) which made things much faster. IE.. not having to search for the correct fuse to tie into etc...

If you were to look under the hood of my car nothing but the AIRAID stands out.. you wouldn't even know my car is meth injected unless you knew what to look for and were familiar with the engine... works well at the track when running N/T's...

I did go with the Alky kit as its reputation and that of the owner is stellar.

Skydogs

Mine took about 4 hours but I did it at my shop. Lift...tools.. ect ect.
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

ZSHO

I guess a bit late to the party but it took roughly seven days as promised by LMS to have my custom (DPM) installed which also included a Dyno tune plus installation of new spark plugs and front primary 02 sensors @ LMS Facility last year.
Dave Best of luck and any questions you may have always feel free to ask brother. 
Here's my very own Build thread below.  Z  :)

www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7881.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

The company was Prometh.

I've been thinking about removing my intercooler...

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 21, 2018, 11:34:13 PM
The company was Prometh.

I don't think I would do it for your application....It is still helpful and it's not big enough to hurt spool so I'd leave it.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

J-Will

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 21, 2018, 11:34:13 PM
The company was Prometh.

Just drill a hole in the piping. The benefits outweigh the damage

/Sarcasm

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SilvererSHO

The company was Prometh.

I'm not sure I'm following you on this one?  Your first and second paragraphs contradict themselves.  A cold charge is denser, less prone to detonation and you are able to throw more spark at the motor whether it's done with an intercooler, water, meth or any combination of the three.

A turbo dragster would make more power with a HUGE intercooler but I'm sure it all comes down to packaging in a dragster.  And forget about an air to air intercooler.  It would be heat soaked at the starting line and never really have time to drop temps by the time the run is over.  Plus, like you said, running alcohol cools the charge AND they are way more over fueled than a street car giving it more effect.  I wonder if they inject water at all?
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.