• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Intercooler vs Meth

Started by DerricksSho, March 03, 2018, 04:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerricksSho

Intercooler vs Meth From a cooling stand point how much does meth drop intake temps? Meth/Water just Meth..
Getting a custom intercooler made how close do you have to be to stock volume before the intercooler is to big?
Thanks guys just trying to figure out my next step also waiting on a few things. Hoping this year is better than the last........
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

bamsho

Are you changing location of your new intercooler?   Just asking cause if you look the stocker is sandwiched between the A/C condenser and radiator, so its not getting max airflow.   AIT2 drop with mneth depends o n how hard you are on the throttle.   Ive seen at least a good 20 degree drop.  I mean it drops fast.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

J-Will

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. Meth does more than drop the AIT but also requires you to be spraying to see the benefits.

IC is more consistent and 'set it/ forget it' but will only lower AIT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

I bet the stock intercooler would be much more effective if it was placed in the front...Even if it was you would likely only get a few more degrees of spark if you lowered IAT's from 150 to 100 degrees....The real benefit of the meth is the octane. People get the cooling because they are way over spraying and that does suppress the knock but more so because of the amount of meth.

Even if you had high IAT's but you had meth in your fuel mix that would likely suppress the knock
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

DerricksSho

I'm running a E-mix so yes adding meth would up the octane but I'm look at it for a cooling benefit stand point. The intercooler I would like to front mount.
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

bamsho

Bingo AJ you hit it.  That's why bigger HPFP would help even running meth.   It would let the meth work just as cooling instead of both cooling and secondary fuel source too.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: DerricksSho on March 03, 2018, 07:10:32 PM
I'm running a E-mix so yes adding meth would up the octane but I'm look at it for a cooling benefit stand point. The intercooler I would like to front mount.
But since you're on an e blend you don't need as much cooling to keep KR and high EGTs at bay.....The hotter the IATs the more work the corn does.

On E-30 I don't think I had any IAT compensations till 140. That fixes the summer sluggishness these cars exhibit when it gets hot.

On my current tune, I should be good to 300 degrees before knock is an issue.

DerricksSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2018, 11:09:25 PM
But since you're on an e blend you don't need as much cooling to keep KR and high EGTs at bay.....The hotter the IATs the more work the corn does.

On E-30 I don't think I had any IAT compensations till 140. That fixes the summer sluggishness these cars exhibit when it gets hot.

Time will tell I've got most upgrades on my car. This next few data logs and tunes I will see. I don't see picking up big HP with a intercooler or meth but it's my next step and pretty much all I have left besides taking the upgraded turbo's off and putting bigger ones on.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: DerricksSho on March 04, 2018, 01:23:51 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2018, 11:09:25 PM

Time will tell I've got most upgrades on my car. This next few data logs and tunes I will see. I don't see picking up big HP with a intercooler or meth but it's my next step and pretty much all I have left besides taking the upgraded turbo's off and putting bigger ones on.
How much WOT spark and boost are you running?