• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E30 Blending

Started by arrivalblue, February 27, 2018, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

I think DerfDog was referring mainly to lambase... our tunes do not change that based on E content...

derfdog15

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 20, 2018, 08:27:27 AM
I think DerfDog was referring mainly to lambase... our tunes do not change that based on E content...

It's been a while since I last looked at what Brad (AJPTurbo) changed for my tune, but I know he adjusted the stoich target a bit, IIRC from 14.7 (pump gas) to 13.9 or so, to account for my E20. I don't remember what parameter that was in the tune, but you are probably correct.

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 20, 2018, 01:40:26 AM
Your tune does change dynamically...

Fuel trims
knock sensors
OAR
Temperature compensations
etc...

I assure you having tested pretty much any blend you can think of that being off a little isn't going to cause any issues. All kinds of adaptives in play keeping everything happy and safe assuming your tuner hasn't disabled/altered the factory protections.

As always, you're spot on. Hell, I ran an E20 blend on a completely 93 tune, to check my knock sensors and had no issues doing so. Ford has the car set up to expect E10-15 in stock trim anyway, and a slight variance in E content will be taken care of with adaptives.

For the people running the gauge, again, I have to stress, it is literally these (https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Technology-36-E85-Sample/dp/B007ZJ749O) but in a gauge form. I guess if it makes you happy, do whatever you want, but it isn't interfacing with your ECM in any way, so IMO (again MY OPINION) not worth it. I never tested E85, and ran my tune from 20 degrees in Indiana, down to florida where it was 85, running the same basic 3 gallons E85, rest 93, from a 1/4 tank. I saw no real change in behavior that trip, and I KNOW that the E content in the cooler areas was lesser than that in Florida/Georgia due to winter blends.

The point I am trying to make, besides what FoMoCoSHO said, and others as well, is that if you are willing to spend $400 on just a guage, why not spend a little more, and actually do a legit flex fuel setup (which ford SHOULD have done from the start, but left out on the Ecoboost platforms because of limitations of the pump at higher boost levels on straight E85). With a legit flex fuel setup, on top of the normal adaptives, you have something relaying Ethanol content to the ECM, allowing you to put a tank of full E85 in, and then follow the next tank with 93, then a blend, etc. and have your tune adjust even more so.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 20, 2018, 08:27:27 AM
No, it won't change lambse...but that is why we have fuel trims.

Our cars infer 02 content just like flex fuel cars, they are limited by fuel capacity and the trim CEL which can be turned off in the tune. 

I could change my stoich to 14.1, turn off the trim CEL, and it would add the fuel needed to hit Lambda 1. Now, this definitely wouldn't be ideal but the car will make sure you hit your fuel target. This system is extremely robust and flexible.