• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E30 Blending

Started by arrivalblue, February 27, 2018, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrivalblue

For all of your guys running E20 or E30 how do you blend? Do you guys just go off rough math or do any of you guys run Analyzing Gauges? If so what brand do you guys recommend??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

I would say almost EVERYONE is using math to get it right.. I don't know anyone running an E gauge.

SHOdded

These engines are knock-limited.  That means the PCM will change the timing/spark tables as it sees the need.  So no need for a gauge.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

hawkeye93

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 27, 2018, 07:00:11 AM
For all of your guys running E20 or E30 how do you blend? Do you guys just go off rough math or do any of you guys run Analyzing Gauges? If so what brand do you guys recommend??

I bought a Holley fuel tester off Amazon (really just a test tube with a sticker) to measure the ethanol content from the local gas stations.  Then I use an app on my phone, E85 Mix Calculator, to get the mix I want.  I use 18 gallons as the fuel tank capacity, and estimate existing fuel from the fuel gauge.  Using 18 gallons rather than 19 seems to provide a more accurate measurement of the existing fuel in the tank, at least on my car.  I test the fuel every couple of months, because the ethanol content changes over the course of the year.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

derfdog15

I went with a general percentage calculation. I did (size of tank - gallon)/4 to get the amount of gas in the tank at a quarter tank. Then I just filled at 1/4 tank, generally about 3 gallons of E85 and then topped off with shell V-power 93. The first time I put in E85 I put a bit more, after that that 1 gallon in reserve was already a blend so I ignored it in my calculations. Never had an issue running it that way.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on February 27, 2018, 10:02:39 AM
I went with a general percentage calculation. I did (size of tank - gallon)/4 to get the amount of gas in the tank at a quarter tank. Then I just filled at 1/4 tank, generally about 3 gallons of E85 and then topped off with shell V-power 93. The first time I put in E85 I put a bit more, after that that 1 gallon in reserve was already a blend so I ignored it in my calculations. Never had an issue running it that way.

Hes alive......

derfdog15

Quote from: stealbluesho on February 27, 2018, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on February 27, 2018, 10:02:39 AM

Hes alive......

Haha yeah, I'm trying to not get one here much cause everytime I do I end up looking at AJPs fusion on E85 and wanting to start down that road on my fusion. Also it makes me think about selling all the SHO parts I had again, rather than holding on to find another SHO which I really don't want to do.

On the E-Blend topic, IIRC brad gave me a general ratio for my mix which also made for pretty quick calculations.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

arrivalblue

Yea I found this chart I figured would work well. Just thought an analyzer would be a great way to do it.

arrivalblue

This is the gauge kinda thinking about

derfdog15

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 27, 2018, 06:02:09 PM
This is the gauge kinda thinking about

To spend almost 400 on a 'flex fuel gauge' I would just save the money and get a flex fuel conversion. I know livernoise has one with their pumps, and IDK if AJP has figured something out in the software yet (or if SCT has made it available). For day to day driving, the general ratio (for instance, my E20 ratio was 3 gal E85 to 12 gal 93) will work just fine, and the car will compensate anyway, based on E content, etc. Even at E20 you have more ethanol than the car expects on the stock tune, and will see benefits. At E30 the results are even better. Save the money on the gauge and put it towards a mod that will get you power, or towards a fuel pump fund to run full E85 at 15psi, or towards going flex fuel so you can use whatever ratio you want.

Blackhawk

Even with full e85 it would be helpful to have this gauge instead of having to constantly test the mix.  It can vary greatly between stations.

DerricksSho

I think this gauge was a good investment because stations do vary. I have had mine on my car well over a year now Ive done lots of data logs so It HELPS to be able to tell your tuner what is in the tank not what you think is in the tank.
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

derfdog15

Quote from: Blackhawk on March 02, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
Even with full e85 it would be helpful to have this gauge instead of having to constantly test the mix.  It can vary greatly between stations.

Quote from: DerricksSho on March 03, 2018, 04:20:41 AM
I think this gauge was a good investment because stations do vary. I have had mine on my car well over a year now Ive done lots of data logs so It HELPS to be able to tell your tuner what is in the tank not what you think is in the tank.

A flex fuel setup uses an ethanol content sensor (probably similar to what is there for the gauge) but actually translates that info to something that the ECU/tune reads, IN REAL TIME. $400 to be able to tell my tuner after the fact, oh btw, were at E75 on this tank, instead of E80 or something like that, not really worth it IMO. It would only help when looking to retune, unless you guys have a plethora of tune files with slightly tweaked stoich targets depending if your blend it +/- a few points of Ethanol concentration.

With regards to a true flex fuel setup however, the stoic target would get modified in real time, and you could even go from the extreme of full E85 to straight 93, or hell maybe even 91, and the tune would adjust to compensate, meaning you would be able to run whatever fuel was available without ever worrying. Cant find E85 on a long road trip, no worries, E85 concentration changed due to season/station, no worries. No need to go back and get a new tune etc.

On a fixed fuel setup in the car, you are limited to changes after the fact, and doing a complete re-tune in terms of download, to account for fuel changes. In that case, IMO the gauge is a paperweight, since you can do the same with a cheap tester at the pump, and you need to be as close to, if not exact, to your previous mix. I guess it helps with keeping a perfect E20/E30/ etc. blend but not worth the cost for something that does not dynamically change the tune.

Blackhawk

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 19, 2018, 03:18:41 PM

On a fixed fuel setup in the car, you are limited to changes after the fact, and doing a complete re-tune in terms of download, to account for fuel changes. In that case, IMO the gauge is a paperweight, since you can do the same with a cheap tester at the pump, and you need to be as close to, if not exact, to your previous mix. I guess it helps with keeping a perfect E20/E30/ etc. blend but not worth the cost for something that does not dynamically change the tune.

It's worth whatever I am willing to pay for piece of mind to make sure my E mix is still close to what it was when I datalogged the tune.  I don't want to test my E85 and 93 every time I fill up.

If the tune could change dynamically I would actually be less concerned with making sure my E mix is spot on because the tune would adjust accordingly.   

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Blackhawk on March 19, 2018, 05:25:23 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on March 19, 2018, 03:18:41 PM

It's worth whatever I am willing to pay for piece of mind to make sure my E mix is still close to what it was when I datalogged the tune.  I don't want to test my E85 and 93 every time I fill up.

If the tune could change dynamically I would actually be less concerned with making sure my E mix is spot on because the tune would adjust accordingly.
Your tune does change dynamically...

Fuel trims
knock sensors
OAR
Temperature compensations
etc...

I assure you having tested pretty much any blend you can think of that being off a little isn't going to cause any issues. All kinds of adaptives in play keeping everything happy and safe assuming your tuner hasn't disabled/altered the factory protections.