• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Taurus SHO - PP springs on non PP

Started by dlepak, February 26, 2018, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlepak

I have a '13 SHO non pp and want to get some better handling (less body role) while cornering. I really don't want to lower the car with H&R springs. I haven't really heard of anyone putting the pp springs and struts/shocks on a non pp. Has anyone done this? Do the pp springs with struts/shocks handle much better than the non pp?

ZSHO

The Motorcraft PP struts/shocks are a HD version which are also used on the PI.
They are indeed interchangeable AFAIK and shouldn't be an issue which should provide an overall better stiffer suspension without compromise IMO.
Polski swapped them out with great results on his SHO with a set of H&R Springs and hopefully he will chime in. 
If you have any questions feel free to ask.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

dlepak

Thanks for the info! Sold my Focus ST and I picked up the SHO. I like the SHO a lot! I know it will never handle like a Focus ST, I just wish it handled a little better than it does now. Hoping the PP springs along with struts/shocks help it out.

ZSHO

How many miles on your current setup ? The suspension has an average 60K lifespan.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

dlepak

I have 109K on the car. I bought the car used a few years ago. I had to replace the shocks about 10K ago because they were leaking. Not sure if the fronts struts have ever been replaced.  One of the front struts has a bad strut mount.

ZSHO

The Rear shocks are prone to leaking and might be wise to have them changed along with a wheel alignment.  Z 

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: dlepak on February 26, 2018, 09:50:12 PM
Thanks for the info! Sold my Focus ST and I picked up the SHO. I like the SHO a lot! I know it will never handle like a Focus ST, I just wish it handled a little better than it does now. Hoping the PP springs along with struts/shocks help it out.
Sure it will...

I suspect size and weight skews the handling "feeling"

Lets compare...

ST

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 38.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.1 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 8.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.9 sec @ 94 mph
Top speed (drag limited, C/D est): 150 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 186 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

PPSHO

Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.0 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 32.3 sec
Rolling Start, 5-60 mph: 5.6 sec
¼-mile: 13.8 sec @ 102 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 141 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 168 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

So the SHO trounces the ST on everything but the skidpad with a whopping .01 difference

A set of springs and some stickier tires should fix that.

Leadfoot

Just installed the Motorcraft PP struts and shocks, along with the Power Stop K6375 /Z23 brakes and rotors yesterday. The ride is definitely stiffer than the non PP suspension, almost on the harsh side, although I did have 100K on the old suspension so it's not really apples to apples.

Got rid of the "clunk" with a Mevotech sway bar endlink.
Really like the look of the slotted rotors and they stop well too.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

ZSHO

Quote from: Leadfoot on March 04, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
Just installed the Motorcraft PP struts and shocks, along with the Power Stop K6375 /Z23 brakes and rotors yesterday. The ride is definitely stiffer than the non PP suspension, almost on the harsh side, although I did have 100K on the old suspension so it's not really apples to apples.

Got rid of the "clunk" with a Mevotech sway bar endlink.
Really like the look of the slotted rotors and they stop well too.
@- Leadfoot Looking Good.  :thumb:  Some Pic's of the outside perimeter would be ideal. BTW make sure to let the brakes and suspension break/settle in for @ least a couple hundred miles. enjoy. Z  :)

polskifacet

Swap away on the 2013 non pp. everything is a direct fit. I also replaced the endlinks when i did mine. The strut mounts on the front were in good shape so I left the old ones. I would recommend deep thru sockets for this job or you have to get creative.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on March 05, 2018, 02:01:33 PM
Swap away on the 2013 non pp. everything is a direct fit. I also replaced the endlinks when i did mine. The strut mounts on the front were in good shape so I left the old ones. I would recommend deep thru sockets for this job or you have to get creative.
@ -Polski still clenching your teeth over the bumps. Lol.  Z  :D

polskifacet

Quote from: ZSHO on March 05, 2018, 02:07:50 PM
Quote from: polskifacet on March 05, 2018, 02:01:33 PM
@ -Polski still clenching your teeth over the bumps. Lol.  Z  :D

LOL with the winter 245/55/18 tires its better but yes still clenching, sometimes more than just teeth lol.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Skydogs

I have a 13 sho pp I put the H&R springs in. It handles way better but the ride suffered for sure. The old give and take factor. I just so wish Blistine made struts and shocks for our Car. Would I do the swap again 100% yes.
Skydog
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

ZSHO

Quote from: Skydogs on March 08, 2018, 10:51:53 AM
I have a 13 sho pp I put the H&R springs in. It handles way better but the ride suffered for sure. The old give and take factor. I just so wish Blistine made struts and shocks for our Car. Would I do the swap again 100% yes.
Skydog
Bilstein's Correct ?  I wondered that myself many year's ago! They are made of great quality indeed.  Z

Skydogs

Quote from: ZSHO on March 08, 2018, 03:56:20 PM
Quote from: Skydogs on March 08, 2018, 10:51:53 AM
Skydog
Bilstein's Correct ?  I wondered that myself many year's ago! They are made of great quality indeed.  Z
Yes my bad!! Lol I run them on every truck I have owned. Huge huge improvements! And I have been in the auto repair service for 25 years and don't think I have ever seen one leak. The Monro stuff is just JUNK. And KYB only makes there entry level. That is right on par with Monro junk.  So I am stuck putting Motorboat back on. Lol

Skydog
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned