• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looked but save me some time please? Intake, Tune, Exhaust questions 2016 Sport

Started by xxslowpokexx, February 26, 2018, 01:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxslowpokexx

Hey all,

So I've been reading feverishly here and I've come up with a few ??

Exhaust-Likely I will NOT be allowed to do an exhaust. However where do the biggest gains come here that will create minimal noise increase? Ive seen downpipes/cats-cat backs(magnaflow is a 2.5")  Ive seen removing third cat, resonator.  I know sound is subjective but really the wife just wouldn't be into it....But I still want to know..And perhaps be able to sneak a mod in

Tunes-Ive heard Livernois has the most comprehensive tunes out and for the 2016(SCT was having an issue for awhile).  Now I could likely pull a fast one on the wife here.  HOWEVER not sure I can trust her to always put 93 octane in.  I read somewhere that there are tunes that still keep the computers ability to adjust for various octanes? True or false?  If true who does that>  If False I realize I can just swap out tunes if need be.  I also assume the 3 bar MAP sensor would be needed for certain tunes dependant on boost

Intakes-  I see how most feel about these...Does anyone have dependable data on the various intake>?  Also anyone know what the pipe diameter size is on stock intake? Size of various aftermarket ones.  I know the aFe is 3" Worst case scenario is I make my own CAI intake and do some dataloging  before and after. If it looks promising ill dyno and perhaps buy something pretty...Yah I know...I want some sound...truck is to dam quiet

Catch Can-  I realize the Explorer doesn't seem to have the same issues as the f150 however what brand seems to be the best.  I kind of like the UPR by the looks of it but any feedback would be appreciated

Plugs-Ill address that with the tune

160 Thermostat- Recommended with tune?

It Hurts me inside I cant go buckwild on this truck. But I feel I can at least get a bit of swoosh and power without the wife going ape....

2016 Explorer Sport..And several other vehicles:O)

jbrown9999

Quote from: xxslowpokexx on February 26, 2018, 01:11:13 AM
Hey all,

So I've been reading feverishly here and I've come up with a few ??

Exhaust-Likely I will NOT be allowed to do an exhaust. However where do the biggest gains come here that will create minimal noise increase? Ive seen downpipes/cats-cat backs(magnaflow is a 2.5")  Ive seen removing third cat, resonator.  I know sound is subjective but really the wife just wouldn't be into it....But I still want to know..And perhaps be able to sneak a mod in

Tunes-Ive heard Livernois has the most comprehensive tunes out and for the 2016(SCT was having an issue for awhile).  Now I could likely pull a fast one on the wife here.  HOWEVER not sure I can trust her to always put 93 octane in.  I read somewhere that there are tunes that still keep the computers ability to adjust for various octanes? True or false?  If true who does that>  If False I realize I can just swap out tunes if need be.  I also assume the 3 bar MAP sensor would be needed for certain tunes dependant on boost

Intakes-  I see how most feel about these...Does anyone have dependable data on the various intake>?  Also anyone know what the pipe diameter size is on stock intake? Size of various aftermarket ones.  I know the aFe is 3" Worst case scenario is I make my own CAI intake and do some dataloging  before and after. If it looks promising ill dyno and perhaps buy something pretty...Yah I know...I want some sound...truck is to dam quiet

Catch Can-  I realize the Explorer doesn't seem to have the same issues as the f150 however what brand seems to be the best.  I kind of like the UPR by the looks of it but any feedback would be appreciated

Plugs-Ill address that with the tune

160 Thermostat- Recommended with tune?

It Hurts me inside I cant go buckwild on this truck. But I feel I can at least get a bit of swoosh and power without the wife going ape....

Just a heads up.  Once you put a tune in SHE WILL NOTICE!  It's like night and day.  Plugs/thermo/3bar/tune/drop in filter.  That alone will make a huge difference.  Gear head is the one who auto adjusts for octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SHOdded

Tunes and downpipes are the biggest bangs for the buck.  The best way to "keep it quiet".
Fuel - the only tuner I know of who allows for different octane levels is Matt of Gearhead.  You should talk to him directly.
Intakes - generally power is generated at 4,000 rpm or higher, so everyday driving - a bust in that regard.  But plenty of intakes that are great eye candy, the K&N of course is ear candy as well.  The cheapest performance gain in the quarter is a K&N dropin filter (0.1 second), Airraid with the weatherstripping truly sealed to the hood (0.2 second).  Testing done on SHOs only.
The 160 TStat is not 100% necessary, as brucelinc has proven.  But many will swear to its' efficacy.
Catch cans - can be done cheaply as DIY projects, best mounting location for the can is in the coldest location.  But apparently if temps drop below freezing, that can be a problem as well.  So choose location wisely.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

xxslowpokexx

For awhile SCT didn't have the 2016 EEC strategy.  Maybe they do now.  Livernois claims the SCT programmer doesn't have enough memory to change all the parameters they can...But I haven't a clue.

xxslowpokexx

Thanks all.  When I say wife wont notice...It smore exhaust sound not performance....This is the only vehicle besides my ML55 that sounds sedate....TO me its a bit to quiet but eh...Maybe an intake will give me swishy noises.

So I'm figuring, Tune-3 bar map-some sort of intake that wont make power and maybe the 160 tstat.

As far as a catch can I have made my own on my some of my other vehicles but there was a bit more room..

And down pipes....Ill have to think about that:O)  If anyone else chimes in that's great.  Again thanks