• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake

Started by arrivalblue, February 23, 2018, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

The supposed gains are just that SUPPOSED! No really world gains, and we are not talking "stockish" Ecoboost, this ranges from stock to highly modified. But if you want to get one by all means do so, but don't expect performance, because the only gain is a better look underhood.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

xxslowpokexx

Quote from: mjhpadi on February 25, 2018, 02:28:16 PM
The supposed gains are just that SUPPOSED! No really world gains, and we are not talking "stockish" Ecoboost, this ranges from stock to highly modified. But if you want to get one by all means do so, but don't expect performance, because the only gain is a better look underhood.
I do find it hard to believe that the stock airbox is that overdesigned that it can still flow enough air with even the demand of more boost.  It just isn't something I'm used to running into but it seems that's what I'm reading here.  Knowing me Ill have to do something, a before and after comparison. I'd likely just fabricate one myself, do some data logging and if it seems I'm running a bit more efficient do some dyno testing.  What I wont do is waste my money on an intake setup or dyno testing if it doesn't seem to pan out.  Happen to know what the stock tube diameter is?
2016 Explorer Sport..And several other vehicles:O)

SHOdded

If you do a true dual intake like bpd has on his SHO, that might actually be worth the effort of designing one yourself.  Otherwise count on visual gains more than anything.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

xxslowpokexx

Saw that on the f150's.  Ill see what I can do once the weather gets a bit better out:O)
2016 Explorer Sport..And several other vehicles:O)

Leadfoot

I had the MD Design on for about 500 miles. The part throttle response was better than the stock box but WOT power seemed down. It looked nice and allowed access to the trans dipstick but I didn't know if water would collect in the inter-cooler during rain storms since there is no drain like on the stock box.
It's sitting on a shelf now.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

ncole

Mine is on the shelf in the garage.  After the snorkel broke and I read what kind of hell MD puts you through to get a new one, I just bought a K&N drop in for the stock box.  I actually noticed more torque (from the torque pro readout mind you) with the stock box and K&N.  Also the MD was full of debris and leaves.  Keep in mind that their fully boxed design makes cleaning a pain and it seems that once it gets a little full it will be very restrictive.  Unlike a stock box that has a big space for crap on the dirty side. Maybe one day I will sell it or something.
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP