• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake

Started by arrivalblue, February 23, 2018, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrivalblue

I've been looking to add an intake over just my K&N drop in filter. Is the new mdesign Intake worth it? From dynos I've seen it provides the largest gains. What are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbrown9999

Well, you will have a lot of ppl saying the gains aren't worth it and that their customer service sucks and the snorkels crack.

That being said, I literally just ordered mine last week.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

arrivalblue

yea. It seems some hate on it. But I was wondering how many have actually tried it? I'm running a drop in K&N right now and if there Intake is proving 10-15hp OVER a windstorm Intake I can't believe it's a subpar Intake. Plus it's 15% off right now haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

I hate on all CAIs equally, lol...

M-D gets some extra ire from me due to treatment of forum members and failure to address a specific question I asked of them. Haven't heard much of anything since...

"I notice on your website you talk about a "less restrictive design".

Reducing pressure drop before the turbos is an important factor and I was wondering if you could provide some supporting data on this and what elements of your design (filter, housing, etc) contribute to the reduction and how much."

Cue the crickets!

Bigmac dynoed the OEM vs open pipe and it was within 3 HP I think.

Buy it because you like the eye and ear candy factor. I don't think there is much ear candy with the M-D design but it should be the best at keeping IATs close to oem due to design. It seems they have softened their ridiculous stance regarding defective snouts.

I have an Airaid and a Typhoon decorating my garage floor. I may try the Airaid out of boredom and Brad thinks it may help with pressure drop due to its size. Also our engine compartment is just fugly so anything that can mask Ford's packaging failure is a good thing.

mjhpadi

None of the CAI's available show any real world improvement over the stock air box.  Best track times with people who have tried different intakes in the same car, same day, same conditions still record best track times with the stock air box.....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Macgyver

MD is small and yields space for a Meth kit and/or additional equipment if you need space to mount things.

Otherwise. Unless you like showing off your engine. Save your money.

J-Will

Quote from: Macgyver on February 24, 2018, 02:55:29 AM
MD is small and yields space for a Meth kit and/or additional equipment if you need space to mount things.

Otherwise. Unless you like showing off your engine. Save your money.
Best argument for MD but there are no tanks that fit the space.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

I would have to agree it does look good as far as aesthetics (eye candy) goes and does give you some room to install an OCC if that's the case.
The customer service lacks support as far as warranty goes and should be noted IMO.
Here's an intake review between the MDesign and windstorm for reference.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6267.msg97495/topicseen.html#msg97495

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StinkinLinkin13

Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

5ohSHO

I agree that the customer service is lacking. The day after I ordered mine everything on the website changed to out of stock so I sent an email asking if it would be a while before I got my intake and I haven't gotten a response. That was about a month ago. I did notice that everything updated to back order status and the ship date isn't until 3/20 per the website. It was comparable in price to the other intakes due to it being on sale.

bpd1151

There are EBay! products that have ALWAYS appeared to be similar in design to the MDesign.

Has always seemed strange to me, and oh so eerily coincidental.

ZSHO

I have to agree with bpd1151 ^^^ and that everything is available on Ebay with the exception of the deficient Snorkel and makes you wonder.  Z  :hmmm:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

I'm going to address the elephant in this room....

Why are these guys still vendors?

ZSHO

AFAIK it's in the works,along with some Spring cleaning.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8250.75.html

xxslowpokexx

Well I'm new around here and have been looking for info regarding CAI's and other mods(wife says I cant ever do an exhaust)  ANYWAYS, my hands on experience with MD design "type" intakes is 0.  Reason being that those types of canister filters tend to make every performance vehicle they are used on loose power.  My feeling is that they are just way to restrictive in high demand situations.  Other vendors have created CAI's using these canister filters for turbo/supercharged Benz's, supercharged Jaguars etc....All made less power then a stock setup choking higher boosted cars even more.  I have a feeling they probably work just fine on vehicles that have restrictive intakes. 

To that extent that may be why people are reporting no gains with CAI on stockish ecoboosted vehicles.  The factory intakes may be just that well designed.  But that likely changes with higher boost /turbo upgrades...I don't know though..Im here for info.

Seems Livernois uses an AIR Raid type intake design and I was looking at the aFe setup which utilizes the factory air box lower but haven't heard much talk of it.  Ill be making a separate post on what I'm actually looking for...But Id be surprised if the MD canister setup pulls it off with a modified ecoboost more then an air raid type setup would
2016 Explorer Sport..And several other vehicles:O)