• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2018 Dodge Challenger rental car

Started by jbrown9999, February 23, 2018, 06:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

In Omaha for a week.  Was offered a Challenger and said "Sure, why not."  Got in and it only had 4 miles on it!  Yes, 4 real miles, not the tripometer, the actual odometer.
Wanted to share my opinion about this car.  To be blunt, less than impressed.  So, this is a base base base model.  it doesn't even have radio controls on the steering wheel but has a spot for them. 
That being said, first impression when I got in was, for a car that looks low and wide, its pretty damned small on the inside.  The front seats don't go back far enough.  I'm only 6' 1" and the only way for me to be comfortable is to lean the seat back.  Which doesn't help the next thing, terrible visibility.  I constantly feel like I can't see everything I should.  DON'T be the first car at an intersection because you won't be able to see the damn lights without leaning forward and looking up.
Seats have very little padding and no bolster support.  The dashboard in the middle is wider than most bars I've been too.  You could easily server a few large pizzas on there.
Now, for performance, its the basic V6 so nothing much to note here.  Sport mode just raises shift points.  Its been snowing and icing here so haven't really got to push it much as of yet.
The ride, is harsh considering its not the high performance version.  Especially with the crappy seats.  The other thing is this thing likes to drift (not the fun kind) when trying to just hold a straight in a lane, if you don't make corrections, you will end up in the next lane.  Could be the new tires grabbing road imperfections but damn, whatever you do, don't look at the speedo because you will look up and find yourself side swiping someone.
I would NOT spend $26k on this car, not a chance.
So, that's my opinion so far.  I'll update if there is anything worth mentioning.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

Macgyver

Both my Sons live in Omaha. One in the Air Force the other works on the base.

So a used SHO is better huh ? ;-)

SHOdded

definitely doesn't sound comfortable for long drives.  they could at least some decent foam for the seats that may not last as long, but you get a good experience for 3 years or so ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

The R/T & SRT trim levels do employ better seating options with more bolstering, etc.

Better options as well with those trim levels too, engine, suspension, creature features, etc.

But to the OP's point, yes, the given price point for such a paltry (base, base) offering is not easy to stomach for sure.

Keep in mind those things weigh a lot to boot.

Good review though, even if the product is less than desirable.

jbrown9999

Thanks.  It was just a unique opportunity to drive a brand new car that I otherwise would never have had a chance to.

Now, if they only dropped off a new SRT8 when I got there!

griggs95

I agree with the Op's review of this car. Sat in one several years ago at a car show and top of the line model still has the same configuration and layout. Because of that, I dismissed it right away as a potential purchase.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

jbrown9999

Quote from: Macgyver on February 23, 2018, 07:08:05 PM
Both my Sons live in Omaha. One in the Air Force the other works on the base.

So a used SHO is better huh ? ;-)

Hell, I would've rented the Impala had I known.  LOL.  And, yes, a used SHO is better.

5ohSHO

I went from a 2012 5.0 to a 2015 SRT 392. I honestly liked both cars, but I thought the Challenger was nicer and had more room in the passenger compartment and the trunk. The SRT does have nice bolstered and comfy leather seats. The Hamon Kardon sound system was also really nice. I'm also 6'1" and agree on the traffic light thing, but coming from the Mustang I thought the visibility was better. I took it on a 4,000 mile road trip (Rapid City-Seattle-Bakersfield-Rapid City) and the car did great and was comfortable and even managed to get 26mpg out of it without MDS. That being said I probably wouldn't enjoy the base V6 either, but there are better Challengers out there.

PDSHO

I will testify that the roads in Omaha suck, and we have been having a lot of snow and ice lately.
Nothing holds the road as surely as an AWD Taurus! At least nothing I have owned.

Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

jbrown9999

Quote from: 5ohSHO on February 25, 2018, 12:47:37 PM
I went from a 2012 5.0 to a 2015 SRT 392. I honestly liked both cars, but I thought the Challenger was nicer and had more room in the passenger compartment and the trunk. The SRT does have nice bolstered and comfy leather seats. The Hamon Kardon sound system was also really nice. I'm also 6'1" and agree on the traffic light thing, but coming from the Mustang I thought the visibility was better. I took it on a 4,000 mile road trip (Rapid City-Seattle-Bakersfield-Rapid City) and the car did great and was comfortable and even managed to get 26mpg out of it without MDS. That being said I probably wouldn't enjoy the base V6 either, but there are better Challengers out there.
As I think about it, I have considered that maybe once the suspension is broken in, it might be more lenient.  Hell, my tushy was sensitive enough to know one of my rear tires in my SHO had lost a 1oz weight so maybe I'm just more aware!  LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5ohSHO

Then don't ever ride in a SRT while it's in track mode haha. It's pretty harsh.

Vortech347

I'm driving one as well right now while my SHO is in the shop.  (bad day)  Mine is a V6 SXT package.

Hate
The 8 speed trans is annoying. 
The lag in throttle response is annoying. 
The clunk in the steering is annoying.
The rear differential is open. 
The climate interface is crap.  Takes 5 minutes to figure out the heated seats.
The center screen is too dark, with sunglasses on I can't see the display worth a damn.
The MPG that the car "says" it's getting, isn't even close.

The apple car play is awesome.  (damn my SHO mytouch)
The alpine stereo in it is far superior over the Sony in the SHO.
The V6 has a great sound to it and spins to 6600rpm
The accent LED's in the headlights are cool looking.  SHO's don't stay on without parking lights.
It has a correct sized tachometer vs our little digital novelty one.

The trunk is awesome.  When you unlatch it opens all the way.  Unlike my SHO trunk that cracks, then I have to sit down what's in my hands. AFTER I lift doesn't go up all the way and I nail my head on that MOTHER EFFFFFFING hood latch.

To be honest it was better than the 2008 Charger I drove by far.  Kinda tempted to go drive an SRT8 version.

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

5ohSHO

Quote from: Vortech347 on March 01, 2018, 12:18:01 AM
To be honest it was better than the 2008 Charger I drove by far.  Kinda tempted to go drive an SRT8 version.

Do it. >:D