• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Mustang for Bruce

Started by Brucelinc, January 22, 2018, 09:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

Basically replacing all rubber bushings in the rear suspension with hard bushings, replacing some links with upgraded pieces and running drag radials the fix.  Those who have done it report a lot of noise and harshness and don't recommend it for street driving.   Replacing some of the bushings require significant suspension disassembly and use of a press.   

I did install a kit that clamps down on some of the rubber bushings making them stiffer and also installed some steel braces that are sort of like traction bars that are used on leaf springs.  I have about $500 invested in suspension parts but it doesn't seem that they helped much.    The cost of a complete fix doesn't bother me as much as making the noise, vibration and harshness too much for decent street use.   

hawkeye93

Quote from: Brucelinc on April 30, 2018, 07:00:36 PM
Quote from: hawkeye93 on April 30, 2018, 05:06:16 PM
Will I see you at Brainerd on Wednesday, Bruce?  It would be fun to line up together, whichever car you want to bring.

Fun for you and your meth burner, I am sure.    I was going until I found out how bad the Mustang wheel hops.  I am done with it.   I am not running the Conti until I get a better tune for the transmission.   Doubt if I have it by Wednesday.
That's too bad.  I took the day off work to play some poker in the morning, followed by some racing in the evening.  It's almost like being a bachelor again.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on April 30, 2018, 09:13:19 PM
Basically replacing all rubber bushings in the rear suspension with hard bushings, replacing some links with upgraded pieces and running drag radials the fix.  Those who have done it report a lot of noise and harshness and don't recommend it for street driving.   Replacing some of the bushings require significant suspension disassembly and use of a press.   

I did install a kit that clamps down on some of the rubber bushings making them stiffer and also installed some steel braces that are sort of like traction bars that are used on leaf springs.  I have about $500 invested in suspension parts but it doesn't seem that they helped much.    The cost of a complete fix doesn't bother me as much as making the noise, vibration and harshness too much for decent street use.

Yikes! Seems like Ford dropped the ball a bit on these MY mustangs...

I completely agree with you, don't want to sacrifice street ability for track use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucelinc

Here are the top 15 stock Mustangs from the forum that I am in.   Only 2 with manual transmissions and both had the performance package and 3.73 gears.  PP cars do have stiffer rear suspensions so they must not hop as much.   The automatics do not suffer from wheel hop like the sticks do.

derfdog15

Quote from: Brucelinc on April 30, 2018, 09:13:19 PM

$500 in suspension on a mustang is basically nothing... My rear control arms and lowering springs alone cost that much or more. What setup exactly do you have? there are some known good brands, and some known bad, and some in the middle...
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Brucelinc

A rep from BMR suspension and members of the Mustang forum recommended these to stop the hop but not add any noise vibration or harshness.   It is what I have now.

derfdog15

Gotcha,

BMR is a good company so no issue there... I wonder how track prep was? that could affect things as well...

IRS is definitely not the best rear end platform for drag racing, but you have to live with it on a newer stang.

I might suggest calling UPR and talking to them as well, they have always steered me in a good direction and been super helpful in my endeavors.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car