• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

$70 Catch Can system

Started by Macgyver, February 21, 2018, 12:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Well I used stuff I had laying around. Bought stuff I didnt.

Bought two Ford junk yard hoses for the snap on ends. $10. Used a heat gun here to take the ends off and put them back on the new lines.

Bought 2 cheap Ebay $20 long Catch can Kits. Totally took apart the cans and added baffling and such to the insides. Extended intake side within the can with a deeper tube in the baffle. Sealed them up nice(JB Weld) and painted with Gloss black.

Split Spring clamps. Hoses. Splitloom. Misc parts. Elec tape. It all works. $10

Its a Macgyvers build for sure but it works. Its cheap but it looks decent without a magnifying glass.

I still gotta add some smaller split loom and electrical tape to finish it off.

FoMoCoSHO

Does the engine cover still fit?

Macgyver

No it doesn't. I run without my cover anyway. I could get it to fit by shortening and lengthening the lines but I like it where its at.

This is an inexpensive system. It is a pieced together system and by No means is it going to compete with more expensive systems. I had to say it because I know what will happen here.

The cans are here. They are JUNK till you mod, baffle them, and seal them. They leak like a sieve. It doesnt take long. I just wanted the long style can for better baffling performance.

They went up $2 lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JQB9RWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Macgyver on February 21, 2018, 12:40:19 PM
No it doesn't. I run without my cover anyway. I could get it to fit by shortening and lengthening the lines but I like it where its at.

This is an inexpensive system. It is a pieced together system and by No means is it going to compete with more expensive systems. I had to say it because I know what will happen here.

The cans are here. They are JUNK till you mod, baffle them, and seal them. They leak like a sieve. It doesnt take long. I just wanted the long style can for better baffling performance.

They went up $2 lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JQB9RWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
I think paying more for pretty parts for our application is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Just ugly and terrible packaging.

So if it works as intended I'd prefer the $70.00 solution if i were inclined to add a catch can.

SHOdded

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 21, 2018, 02:43:59 PM
I think paying more for pretty parts for our application is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Not if the oinker carries bpd's brand.  He doesn't believe in catch cans for the SHO anyway, so he is spared the agony of decision LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Thats part of the reason I went with what I have. I made my own system for my 2014 Juke. They catch stuff. What a surprise. LOL

But since this isnt rocket science and you can go either way here without bad results. I think $70 is better than what UPR and others cost. Although UPR and others do look really well made.

ThePresidential

Do you need the catch can for the clean side if you have the cfm valve cover breather?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on February 21, 2018, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 21, 2018, 02:43:59 PM
Not if the oinker carries bpd's brand.  He doesn't believe in catch cans for the SHO anyway, so he is spared the agony of decision LOL.
Ha! Well, there's a shot over the proverbial bow if I have ever seen one. Funny!

Never would've expected that from Manoranjan Tayal (a.k.a. SHOdded) buy hey, can't say I haven't ever been surprised before!

That said, I actually have invested in the full send offering from UPR for the current build.

Guess I'll find out 1st hand if the investment was worth it, or not. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

ThePresidential

Is it better to run bigger or smaller diameter hoses for your catch can system?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Macgyver

Whatever the OEM is fine. I would think smaller is not good for air vapor flow ?

ThePresidential

Just wondering, im redoing mine to just one can and im putting it in a location where it will be cool to aid in vapor condensation inside the can. Ill be tapping into both turbos so ill be running more hose and wondering if that will affect evacuation?

Macgyver

What I learned with making mine. There are way better out there for the money. UPR and J&L for example.

I run a J&L on my Edge and it works very well. I think we think into it too much.