• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E85?!

Started by arrivalblue, February 19, 2018, 05:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrivalblue

How many of you are running e85 on your SHO or MKS?? If so what did you have to do to run it? And was it worth it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

It's always better to add less than more IMO! just to be on the safe side!
I would speak with your Tuner before adding E85 to the mix as you will need a tune to benefit from the custom E-blend! 
I'm hoping others will chime in!  Z   :)

http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8211.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

arrivalblue

Yea for sure! I'm sure he will know but wanted to get some info so I'm a little informed when talking to him lol.

ZSHO

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 19, 2018, 10:13:24 AM
Yea for sure! I'm sure he will know but wanted to get some info so I'm a little informed when talking to him lol.

Who's your tuner ? Due setup your signature so we can assist you better! Thanks . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

arrivalblue

I just ordered it last week. I'll be using Torrie from unleashed. I like the ability to data log. I'll update signature but so far it'll be a thermostat, new plugs, drop in filter, and 3 bar sensor. I'm looking into other stuff though including the mdesign CAI the numbers seem very good and dyno backed

StinkinLinkin13

I was wondering this as well... Seeing as on my gas fill it reads 🚫e30 e85. I thought flex fuel had different orings, seals etc...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

AJP turbo

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on February 19, 2018, 10:46:45 AM
I was wondering this as well... Seeing as on my gas fill it reads 🚫e30 e85. I thought flex fuel had different orings, seals etc...

Having the hardware or and the logic in the calibration to be flex fuel capable are 2 different things...Most of the new Fords have the hardware to run higher ethanol content. The reason your filler neck says to use only E0-E15 is mostly due to the fact that the logic is not there to handle fuel switching AND the capacity is not really there...You can run E85 but there will be a boost compromise......As Ethanol content goes up then boost needs to come down.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 19, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
I just ordered it last week. I'll be using Torrie from unleashed. I like the ability to data log. I'll update signature but so far it'll be a thermostat, new plugs, drop in filter, and 3 bar sensor. I'm looking into other stuff though including the mdesign CAI the numbers seem very good and dyno backed

I would make certain that you purchase a new MDesign intake Directly through them and NOT used as the warranty is NOT Transferable IIRC! Z

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 19, 2018, 11:59:55 AM
Having the hardware or and the logic in the calibration to be flex fuel capable are 2 different things...Most of the new Fords have the hardware to run higher ethanol content. The reason your filler neck says to use only E0-E15 is mostly due to the fact that the logic is not there to handle fuel switching AND the capacity is not really there...You can run E85 but there will be a boost compromise......As Ethanol content goes up then boost needs to come down.

Ok. That's what I was wondering. Most hardware is in place so basically just need the custom tune for it.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

AJP turbo

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on February 19, 2018, 02:26:40 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on February 19, 2018, 11:59:55 AM

Ok. That's what I was wondering. Most hardware is in place so basically just need the custom tune for it.

Yes the tune obviously but even with that it doesn't mean that full E85 is possible with out limitations.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

arrivalblue

By limitations though would it not be worth it without fuel system upgrades? I mean would a limited E85 tune be better then a 93?octane tune?

AJP turbo

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 19, 2018, 02:49:42 PM
By limitations though would it not be worth it without fuel system upgrades? I mean would a limited E85 tune be better then a 93?octane tune?

As a rough guide I would say E30-E50 about 14-15 psi
                                           E85 for 10-12 psi

Tough to say about the power

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

arrivalblue

Lower boost less power though right? or not always?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: arrivalblue on February 19, 2018, 02:56:45 PM
Lower boost less power though right? or not always?

Not necessarily.

You can run a bunch more spark advance.

See sig below.

Macgyver

Just an informative question for us all.

Long term engine life. What is better ? Does it matter ?

Lower Boost and More spark using higher Corn content then you get more fuels in your oil? etc.

Higher Boost and less spark using less corn in your fuel etc.