• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MSD Coils

Started by FoMoCoSHO, February 15, 2018, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Hi Matt,

Do you sell the MSD coils?

I poked around the website but didn't see them.

Car has 105K and I was gonna order some pre-gapped 542's from you as well.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

gtmorgan23

i was able to get them cheaper than the going rate on CJ Pony parts. I fished around online and found a discount code. 
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on February 15, 2018, 01:57:57 AM
Talk to these guys also

http://www.weaponxperformance.com
Ouch!

I can't imagine the difference between the two would justify the extra cost.

SHOdded

Cmon don't be a bean counter  NOW ... LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

I see a few people are running these coils.  Any feedback?  TIA!

5ohSHO

I got mine from Summit. I changed the plugs at the same time. The car seemed to run a little smoother after, but I'm not sure if it made a big difference. They were listed as stock replacements. The coils are nice quality and packaged nice.

StealBlueSho

Matt at Gearhead did dyno testing with them on the SHO and F150...

They picked up 9HP after 5K RPMs through the rest of the power band if I remember...

Article here..

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-msd-performance-coil-packs-for-ford-ecoboost-engines/

Make sure you get the right set... 3 pin plugs for the 2013+ and 2 pin plugs for the 2010-2012...

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: stealbluesho on April 01, 2018, 07:47:25 AM
Matt at Gearhead did dyno testing with them on the SHO and F150...

They picked up 9HP after 5K RPMs through the rest of the power band if I remember...

Article here..

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-msd-performance-coil-packs-for-ford-ecoboost-engines/

Make sure you get the right set... 3 pin plugs for the 2013+ and 2 pin plugs for the 2010-2012...
Thanks, I just double checked mine.

I actually have 2 sets...

The first set was clearly used...paint worn off around the bolt hole, heat discolored logos, and one was missing a spring which I suspect is why they got sent back.

They initially said they wanted them back and I received the replacements fast after I sent the pics but I've not heard anything since so IDK.

Skydogs

I just orders a set. Kind of a no brainer. Plus mine o.e. are getting pretty old now.....
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

KonaTheWhale

If anyone is already running these/ when some do I would be very interested how they perform to see if it would be worth it to buy them. Also do the stock coil packs "wear out" so to speak as they get older?
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP Kona blue, Livernois 93 octane 3 bar tune, PPE catless downpipes, muffler delete, 160* stat, K&N drop in filter, VTA mod, rear end lowered, 15% tint, EBC brake upgrade

Skydogs

Ford coils are a known problem. Very very bad years back better now.  But in my eyes I would change them as a tune up part around 80k! Cars don't have plug wires,cap,rotors anymore so $250.00 for 6 new and a touch stronger than stock coils is a win win!! I am in no way expecting to feel anything but not feel a missfire from a bad coil in my near future!! :) :)

Skydog
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned