• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil smell when cold

Started by polskifacet, December 15, 2017, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Of course I can't reproduce the oil smell after changing the downpipes. Changed the pcv Valve, old one wasn't any worse than the new one. Still however have idle drop a bit too low after blipping the throttle.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

still have meth injection turned on?  tuned or stock?  not sure how "returned to stock" u are :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on December 26, 2017, 03:22:07 AM
still have meth injection turned on?  tuned or stock?  not sure how "returned to stock" u are :)
fully stock except catback exhaust
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

avidmotion

Odd....mine pretty always has a gas or oily smell or both at same time.  Not found any reason thought it was the no gas cap deal.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

Not able to reproduce so far. I guess that is good lol, unfortunate i swapped downpipes :/. I do however want to put a check valve on the clean side. UPR has some stuff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Way-Non-Return-10MM-3-8-Inch-Fuel-Check-Valve-For-Gas-Diesel-Low-Pressure/232462685235?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D2732ddea3b58403b9675d1f26ab71045%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D301329390497&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Not sure what size would be the best its either 3/8 or 1/2 inch line.

polskifacet

Temp dropped to single digits again and getting some oil in the exhaust again. Catch can filled with hot cocoa looking water again. I'm beginning to think the PCV/Seperator is freezing. Made several short trips which is known to not allow water to evap from the oil. Only seems to happen when it idles (remote start).

SHOdded

Need to rig up a baby bottle warmer to the catch can, LOL.  Makes sense that is the issue tho.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on February 04, 2018, 11:03:41 PM
Need to rig up a baby bottle warmer to the catch can, LOL.  Makes sense that is the issue tho.
its going to continue to be super cold so I'll remove the OCC and monitor. I'm getting some crank case fumes through the vents so something funky is going on. I'll also get cinche clamps for the fittings as my JLT can doesn't use any form of clamps on the hoses.

Colorado-SHOBro

Seems like the oil separators on these cars just can't keep up when it gets real cold out. Mine failed after sitting through a cold night(also on an incline in my driveway which makes me wonder if all of the condensation pooled together and froze causing the failure)
Might be worth it to replace it just for peace of mind. After replacing mine i get less exhaust smoke from the tailpipes than the day i picked up the car with 12k on it.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Symptoms went away after removing catch can.

SHOdded

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on February 05, 2018, 06:38:58 PM
Awesome!
Extra tubing caused extra condensation which froze is my best guess.

ZSHO

Truly Glad you got it figured out!  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

Quote from: ZSHO on February 06, 2018, 05:41:41 AM
Truly Glad you got it figured out!  Z  :)
Yes sir, weird idle is gone too. I guess it wasn't seeing the extra air from pcv. Second thing is I ordered the CSS and the place I ordered it from called me asking if I can wait a week or two because the manufacturer (Mcnally i think) is coming out with a v2 CSS so I'll be getting the new model!!