• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Max sub enclosure height for SHO rear trunk shelf?

Started by CaptainInsane-O, February 09, 2018, 01:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainInsane-O

Came across a smoking hot deal on a Kicker sub & enclosure but I'm not sure it'll fit... Is 16" too tall to fit on the trunk "shelf" of an '11 SHO?

Normally I would just measure it myself but my SHO is at home, I'm at work & need to give a yay or neigh before leaving today.

Thanks in Advance,

El Kapitan de Loco

gtmorgan23

I wonder if there is a thread on here for subs enclosures, install and pics.

Id love to see some if there isnt. Just something enjoyable about bassing out while cruising in your ride.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

CaptainInsane-O

Image of what I'm looking at attached... Kicker 43VCWR122. 

Co-worker is trading in his car tonight for a new truck & offered me the sub/box for $75. Im 99.9% sure the width and depth are fine... However, it's 16" tall so I'm not certain it'll fit.

derfdog15

IDK what the model number is on that sub, but I would search it and see the cost new. I would make the decision based on that, cause you can always resell it for what you bought it for if it doesnt fit.

My fusion the trunk has ~11 inches from the shelf to the top at its narrowest portion. there should be a few more inches in the taurus, but im not certain how many more. If you pulled the trunk mat, you would pick up an inch or two as well, so keep that in mind.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Macgyver

These fit no problem. I use two of them and they are 15 3/4" roughly.

You can see how much height there is above them too.

CaptainInsane-O

Thanks Mr. Anderson, box/sub has been purchased.  Now I just need an amp,
install kit, line converter and time.

Quote from: Macgyver on February 09, 2018, 02:35:21 PM
These fit no problem. I use two of them and they are 15 3/4" roughly.

You can see how much height there is above them too.

lamrith

I would love to get a touch more punch in my audio.  Problem is I use that shelf fairly frequently.  Might have to come up with some sort of plug setup so I can plug a sub like that in/out if I need room for a trip.  hrmmmm
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StinkinLinkin13

Super easy clean and inexpensive setup... Hardest part is getting power cable through the firewall. Signal comes off the oem sub. Amp turns on with no remote. Kicker 300.1. Little thing hits impressively hard. The 10" Fosgate box comes loaded and I bought the grilles separately..
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

lamrith

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on February 09, 2018, 04:22:31 PM
Super easy clean and inexpensive setup... Hardest part is getting power cable through the firewall. Signal comes off the oem sub. Amp turns on with no remote. Kicker 300.1. Little thing hits impressively hard. The 10" Fosgate box comes loaded and I bought the grilles separately..
So Kicker 300.1 Amp.   What is the enclosure/speaker package?  I like the size of that.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StinkinLinkin13

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-R12X10-10-Inch-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00IVEHIP2

I bought it as part of a complete bundle on ebay... Included the amp loaded enclosure and all appropriate gauge wire set.  The wedge in the rear allows it to slide all the way back. Can't even really see it unless you crouch down and look in the trunk. 
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

lamrith

I was in there measuring there other day confirming some things and noticed I have a big hump right in the middle of that shelf on mine. 

StinkinLinkin13 I do not see any evidence of that sort of hump in that shelf in your car, is it there and just hidden behind the enclosure or do you have the enclosure at an angle with the back edge on it?

ZSHO

I would make certain to check your Fuel Control module on a Daily Basis from all that BASS!  Z  :D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Macgyver

Liinks is a 2013? since it has a single Bass driver on the rear deck ? My 2015 SHO has two 6x9's on the rear deck.

My pics are from a 2015 and yeah there is a minor bump in the middle but there is plenty of room height wise. The width is what I would be worried about.

lamrith

Quote from: Macgyver on February 13, 2018, 05:47:42 PM
Liinks is a 2013? since it has a single Bass driver on the rear deck ? My 2015 SHO has two 6x9's on the rear deck.

My pics are from a 2015 and yeah there is a minor bump in the middle but there is plenty of room height wise. The width is what I would be worried about.
Thanks, Macgyver!
Mine is a '13sho.  I am not as worried about clearance as I am about it being right in the middle and the enclosure sitting up on it and rocking back and forth, just in general not being stable because of it.  Once I get something I might have to maybe make a couple short legs for the corners to stabilize it some.

It seems most people are pointing the subs back, is that just simplicity or is their an audio reason for it as well?  Been a while since I looked at installing additional base into a rig, just need more punch than the stock system is able to deliver even after upgrading speakers which made a big improvement.

bpd1151

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on February 09, 2018, 01:29:52 PM
I wonder if there is a thread on here for subs enclosures, install and pics.

Id love to see some if there isnt. Just something enjoyable about bassing out while cruising in your ride.
Well since you asked......

Two (2) - 15" subs, forward firing and positioned atop the "shelf" in the trunk.

Two (2) - 12" subs, each mounted in the far corners of each side of the trunk.

All powered by four (4) class D digital amps.

Two (2) amps are 1000x4 watts each and the other two (2) amps are 600x4 watts each.

The amps are powering other aspects of the audio build, besides just the subs.

I actually had to de-tune the amps (turn the power down on them) as I noticed a sticky brown tar like substance pooled up in each corner of the rear drip tray at the bottom the of the rear windshield.

Turns out that that was/is the adhesive used in securing/mounting the rear windshield. Apparently I was on the verge of literally blowing the rear glass out from its' frame.

Oops!