• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Filter Size

Started by griggs95, February 02, 2018, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griggs95

Changing the filter the other day on different vehicles I again wondered why the SHO filter is so small. The one on my old 4.0 exploder is twice the size and I like that. I'm wondering if I should change the filter out halfway between my oil changes with Amsoil.

I like to go 8k between changes on the signature series (best I can find) oil, so maybe do a 4k oil filter swap, which is so simple to do anyways. What are your guys' thoughts on this matter?

Or, since I'm using the best oil out there, maybe extend this even further to 10-12k miles with a filter swap. What can I say, I'm just environmentally friendly lol.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

AJP turbo

I'd call amsoil and see what they say...I know they match their EO filters to coincide with the extended drain intervals that the signature series oil will afford you so I 'm sure they have a good answer on why the filter is adequate to match that.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Gjkrisa

If you are already using amsoil oil then you should be fine looking at various oil filters Ford was one of the few that already had the tech to last 15k without needing changed think amsoil the seal starts to show heat wear at 10k can't find the video that showed that but some info here
https://youtu.be/l-zDt9FGJi8
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=8268.0
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

griggs95

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 02, 2018, 12:39:53 PM
I'd call amsoil and see what they say...I know they match their EO filters to coincide with the extended drain intervals that the signature series oil will afford you so I 'm sure they have a good answer on why the filter is adequate to match that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't wix make the oil filter for Amsoil before I call them? I know they recommend wix filters if you don't use their specific oil filter for the entire length of a 25k mile oil change.

For example, they use to sell an air filter with there name but was actually made by AEM. They got out of that a couple years ago when I inquired about a new air filter. They said they 'stopped selling them since they are an oil company, not an air filter company'.

Not sure which is more important actually, the oil or the filter. Both need to be top notch imo.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

Agentlongwood

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't wix make the oil filter for Amsoil before I call them?
[/quote]

I googled this and the answer I found isn't a simple yes/no.  While YES, Wix does/did manufacture the Amsoil filters, NO they are not the same as the Wix filters.  On the outside they may look identical down to the numbers stamped on the end cap, but the Wix filters use glass-enhanced paper media and the Amsoil filters are fully synthetic filter media.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Izzybird

Quote from: griggs95 on February 02, 2018, 12:33:19 PM
Changing the filter the other day on different vehicles I again wondered why the SHO filter is so small. The one on my old 4.0 exploder is twice the size and I like that. I'm wondering if I should change the filter out halfway between my oil changes with Amsoil.

I like to go 8k between changes on the signature series (best I can find) oil, so maybe do a 4k oil filter swap, which is so simple to do anyways. What are your guys' thoughts on this matter?

Or, since I'm using the best oil out there, maybe extend this even further to 10-12k miles with a filter swap. What can I say, I'm just environmentally friendly lol.
Just curious, did you have a oil analysis performed on your 8k mile intervals?
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

griggs95

I never thought to google a question about a Amsoil filters (who'd of thunk it) but special agent LW did the legwork. Well, it looks as though the Amsoil products are still superior to this day so I'll continue to purchase.

As far as the oil analysis, I haven't done one to this car yet. I used other peoples' results on this platform but do it earlier rather than later. I have 20k changes on an old 2003 vulcan engine taurus with results on that, oil was ok. According to some diesel articles I've read a while ago, oil basically doesn't break down. Its usefulness is limited by the contamination it receives and is extended through proper filtration. That's why the filter is of utmost importance.

One last thing and that is the manual says that 10k changes are ok but I'm not so sure. Generally, there isn't a lot of money made by Ford (or any other brand) on the initial purchase of a vehicle itself. The money is made by future repairs and the selling of parts. So with that in mind, vehicles need to be repaired often for it to be profitable; hence PTU lifetime of the car without service. Another example, lifetime transmission fluids (think German cars) in cars. So when a vehicle is sold to someone else at 100k miles...boom to the next purchaser of that car. That's a big bill right there.

Point is I'm not so sure about factory recommended oil changes for longevity.

SHOdded

Using a Blackstone or similar type analysis is a good way to get a read on when fluids need changing in your vehicle.  Then you can drive with reasoned confidence :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!