• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Thank you everyone. update- spoke to soon. busted again.

Started by TopherSho, January 29, 2018, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

I wanted to thank each and every one who since last September helped to get me to this point where my silly car is finally fixed.  Every post and idea is and was appreciated over this 4 months ordeal of two intermingling issues that kind of masked each other.

You are Awesome.  Thank you. Were it not for the pushing from you guys in the last 2 days i might have done something drastic and given up.   patience ... is not my thing (whod'a thunk).

Thank you, and good night .. it's time for kid's skip-bo and chocolate milk. :)

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

J-Will

I skimmed but didn't read in depth, as diagnosis is way out of my league. What ended up being the issue(s)?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

Quote from: J-Will on January 30, 2018, 05:44:39 AM
I skimmed but didn't read in depth, as diagnosis is way out of my league. What ended up being the issue(s)?

His enemy was his patience!  LOL.  Z  :D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

His problem was the equivalent of trying to run his latest calibration on Windows 95' or Vista LOL Or trying to play a PS4 game in a PS1

Keep your devices updated!...Joking but may have been more than that also.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 30, 2018, 10:24:03 AM
His problem was the equivalent of trying to run his latest calibration on Windows 95' or Vista LOL Or trying to play a PS4 game in a PS1

In his defense.. unless you are diligent about hooking up your SCT device often to check, you wont know there is an update. Additionaly, its a PIA to revert back to stock then update the device, and then reflash the tunes... SCT has got to find a better way to do that.

AJP turbo

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 30, 2018, 12:00:53 PM

In his defense.. unless you are diligent about hooking up your SCT device often to check, you wont know there is an update. Additionaly, its a PIA to revert back to stock then update the device, and then reflash the tunes... SCT has got to find a better way to do that.

I think upon opening the device updater it notifies you if there is an update for the device and or device updater program.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 30, 2018, 12:04:40 PM
Quote from: stealbluesho on January 30, 2018, 12:00:53 PM

I think upon opening the device updater it notifies you if there is an update for the device and or device updater program.

It will tell you the device updater software needs to be updated, but not the FW on the device UNLESS you specifically run the device updater check. Even then, say you get a new tune update, you find out that the FW needs to be updated... you have to go back out to the car, reload the stock tune.. update the devices... load the new tunes... then go through the process of saving the stock tune again which takes forever, and then load the new updated tune. Its a freaking yank...

TopherSho

Quote from: J-Will on January 30, 2018, 05:44:39 AM

J,  it was two issues.   one was physical, the other doesn't make any sense (to me) but it was handheld-tuner related.

I had a over boost issue.  BAD overboost.  stuttering and trying to stall at 5000+ rpm.  the ecu would shut all spark off mid run.  it was super bad and hard on the car

Fixed that by replacing both turbos.  We think the wastegates were not actuating correctly.  After replacement the logs no longer showed massive overboost (18+ pounds!)

BUT the issue still happened!  but for a different reason.  My tuner went bad somehow.  The tunes (all of them including stock) still stuttered and freaked out but it was not over boosting .. so initially I thought the problem was the harness.  but on a pure bullshit lark ... i reset the tuner.

All the issues fixed instantly, Stock, light boost,  Max boost.  No more stuttering.

to timeline it with hindsight::
Car was running PERFECT in the summer of 17 on meth.
Started having wierd stuttering issues at high rpm off and on on like october.  But no overboost issues.
Went racing one last time,  had the best runs ever!
The very next morning the waste-gates were blown.
At the time i had no idea the wastegates were blown and thought it was the meth pump.
Spent a month fiddling with meth. 
30 days later, I gave up and reverted to a non-meth tune thinking it was too cold for the amount of meth i used.
*that was when the tuner went bad i think*
after reverting with the now bad-tuner i still had issues, brad said my waste-gates were bad.  (we had no idea my tuner just took a crap)
finally fixed the turbos but we still had bad stuttering we were all VERY confused as we did not know the tuner was funky
we looked at logs and everything was 'perfect'  .. the give away was we had BAD stuttering/stalling issues ..  but we could not 'see it in the logs'
I was about to give up when i was told to try resetting the handheld.
After thinking that was insane.. i did it.
next 2 datalogs look perfect,  car felt WAY better
after a few power cycles later,  it is now perfect.  resetting the tuner fixed the ecu/tune/handheld issue.

that's the timeline WITH 20/20 :P

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

J-Will

Thanks for the synopsis. Glad it's all fixed now!

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

lamrith

DUDE!!!  I am so glad yo hear you are back in the game!!  We will have to get together sometime this summer for sure.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

TopherSho

Quote from: lamrith on January 30, 2018, 01:20:47 PM
DUDE!!!  I am so glad yo hear you are back in the game!!  We will have to get together sometime this summer for sure.

Done-son ... road trip it is!