• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3" Exhaust Available?

Started by CaptainInsane-O, January 29, 2018, 01:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 06, 2018, 02:08:06 PM
Quote from: SilvererSHO on February 06, 2018, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on February 03, 2018, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: CaptainInsane-O on February 03, 2018, 08:55:25 PM
Exactly how small? Are the turbos' specs available?

I'm coming from an SRT4 & the Skittle's turbo is pretty pretty itty bitty but it definitely benefitted from moving from a 2.5" Mopar exhaust to a 3" B&B knockoff.

The sho's Turbos are smaller I think...that's why they can make 20 psi if programmed correctly...not that we have the fuel for that anyway....also you dopar only had single exhaust..so do the math on dual 2.5" pipes ...it's a lot more than a single 3" pipe

Only smaller turbos I have seen were on motorcycle turbos lol

Not a whole lot though.  A single 3.5" exhaust will flow better than a dual 2.5" exhaust.  Single exhausts flow better than dual exhausts because they keep the exhaust gases hotter than a dual exhaust.  Dual exhausts expose more surface area to the atmosphere and run cooler.  Cooler air is thicker and flows less than hot air.  Same reason black cars are faster than silver and white cars. ;D

3" pipe would have about 28% reduction in area so I don't know if I would say "not a whole lot though"...I don't know that the temp of the pipe after the turbos matter much, I think you are reaching there

Don't forget about the additional surface turbulence impeding flow on the dual exhaust.  I'm not saying a 3" single and a dual 2 1/2" flow the same but the flow difference may actually be only half of the 28% area reduction in the real world.  14% is approaching the "not a whole lot though" category.  My best guess is all....someone more edjumacated in flow dynamics would have to chime in I guess.

All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

2013blksho

the cooling of exhaust gas post turbo will effect the exhaust over all efficiency due to as silver said denser gases.  the cooler the gas the denser , the more force it takes to move the less efficient the flow.  that being said the laws of turbos show that you want good velocity accross the turbine to allow more gas to mechanical work exchange. if it flows to fast you will loose exchanged work and if it goes to slow you will not build boost.  these is a fine line.  also there are two forces at work, volume and velocity, if you maintain pipe size you will increase one with the other but if you increase pipe size you can "move" more volume but you lower your velocity.  the old finger over the hose trick. when you cover half the end of the hose with your finger you are increasing velocity but the volume doesnt change because the hose valve is the same. increasing exhaust pipe after the turbo is fine line.  it would be better to remove restriction to help performance before increasing pipe size. imho