• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

please help me understand what the crap is going on? (wastegates) : Resolved!!!

Started by TopherSho, January 28, 2018, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

You've never updated the device!? Do not use the update firmware box....return the vehicle to stock. Then make sure you have he latest version of the device updater program. Then use the box that says automatically check for updates that's all you need
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Nope never did.  Read to many horror stories.
i have reverted to stock now
just put the old oem 2-bar map back in and its idling
going to run the updates now..

in the computer world where i work,  you dont touch the firmware unless there is a actual nee/fix for it .. kinda held that to heart with the SCT device as well.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 28, 2018, 01:41:03 PM
You've never updated the device!? Do not use the update firmware box....return the vehicle to stock. Then make sure you have he latest version of the device updater program. Then use the box that says automatically check for updates that's all you need

... 272 udates .. lol ... this will take a while.

the update firmware looks like the same thing as update device except it sources local files. should be the same result.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

ok,  i am off to log it in stock baseline.  just to see if the weird spikey behavior continues.  be a while.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Someone mentioned barometric pressure once,  where is that sensor?  i see it listed separately from boost/map readings.

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on January 28, 2018, 01:43:01 PM

Well I'd say most of the horror stories are from people that try to update without reverting to stock like the instructions say to do....I'm not going to say this will fix anything but I update my software almost daily so there is a chance that if I made a tune and you were on some old firmware or software that might not be good.

I would update your device weekly if prompted to do so especially if you are currently in tuning sessions with someone.

So when you load a tune onto your device in the updater program and it has been prompting you to update and you ignored it?

And also the auto update box does everything in one shot...Firmware, software...The firmware update is for tech support only, it says that.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 28, 2018, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on January 28, 2018, 01:43:01 PM

Well I'd say most of the horror stories are from people that try to update without reverting to stock like the instructions say to do....I'm not going to say this will fix anything but I update my software almost daily so there is a chance that if I made a tune and you were on some old firmware or software that might not be good.

I would update your device weekly if prompted to do so especially if you are currently in tuning sessions with someone.

So when you load a tune onto your device in the updater program and it has been prompting you to update and you ignored it?

And also the auto update box does everything in one shot...Firmware, software...The firmware update is for tech support only, it says that.

it never prompted.  but that may have been me ticking the box to not remind me on the 1st run.

i have new pids.. and some of them are for the bootstbypass valve.  i am going to collect that and then a datalog using your standard config file  .. probably be 90 minutes or so.

be back later

thank you everyone.  getting super desperate.

FoMoCoSHO

Baro is embedded on the PCM.

It should be a logable parameter but IDK, my MKS has very few PIDS compared to my newer SHOs.

You have been under the assumption that overboost is the issue and maybe you need to look at it differently? As in maybe the overboost is just a symptom that is being caused by something else.

Have you logged spark source? You mentioned spark going from 28-0-28 repeatedly and I would want to know where that command is coming from.

Also, this started after a run at the strip? I'm assuming a hard launch?  I would assume that isn't a coincidence and start looking at every connection I could get my hands on that could be strained by such a launch.

Are you logging misfires? Have you confirmed it is misfiring or not? If not with that kind of behavior I'm thinking ESC or TC involvement could cause that kind of behavior. I also know the newer gens have a habit of ESC faults as you cross the 100 MPH barrier. Maybe this is happening in the early models but in a different way...it seems the newer gens PCM is quite a bit more advanced.

Take a deep breath! Desperation sounds a lot like panic and all that is going to do is cloud your thinking and judgement.

TopherSho

ok here is two STOCK .96 OAR level logs.

EDIT :: looks like the SCT choppines is solved.  smooth logs..

LOG1 :: One is the wealth of new pids i found .. including wastegate pids for the bypass and baraomoter.
i included a bunch fun troubleshooty sounding stuff.  i have no idea if anyone else has anything they can help compare me to... if you have a 2010 with DMJKBLA id be curious if you logged the same pids on a 1-4th gear autopull what the diffs might be.

LOG2 :: std brad logging cfg file datalog.

now here's the fun new part.  it is no longer doing the bad behavior in stock mode.  in fact stock mode is way stronger than i recall it being.. wierd but ok.  gives me about an inch of hope.

swapping back to my good solid tune from before the meth,  off to drive the oar to .96 and get the same 2 logs.

FoMo;  yeah Brad an i log the spark, knock, tqsrc.  with the new pids i found i added anything that said 'safe', 'fault' or error and the usual tqsrc and knock and misfire to the new 'wth' config file.

when i get my 'tuned' OAR back to .96 i will run the same two logs i just attached with it,  it is a 14psi tune with a emphasis on spark from brad.

all comments are appreciated. 

this have been going on for almost 6 months so if it sounds like panic it is a mix of frustration, desperation panic and a dash of pissed off :P    the fact Ford has not idea whats going on is super frustrating.

I am very tempted to start tuning from scratch and get a base tune from brad and go through the basics again,  see where we hit the wall. Brad what do you think?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on January 28, 2018, 05:17:38 PM
ok here is two STOCK .96 OAR level logs.

LOG1 :: One is the wealth of new pids i found .. including wastegate pids for the bypass and baraomoter.
i included a bunch fun troubleshooty sounding stuff.  i have no idea if anyone else has anything they can help compare me to... if you have a 2010 with DMJKBLA id be curious if you logged the same pids on a 1-4th gear autopull what the diffs might be.

LOG2 :: std brad logging cfg file datalog.

now here's the fun new part.  it is no longer doing the bad behavior in stock mode.  in fact stock mode is way stronger than i recall it being.. wierd but ok.  gives me about an inch of hope.

swapping back to my good solid tune from before the meth,  off to drive the oar to .96 and get the same 2 logs.

FoMo;  yeah Brad an i log the spark, knock, tqsrc.  with the new pids i found i added anything that said 'safe', 'fault' or error and the usual tqsrc and knock and misfire to the new 'wth' config file.

when i get my 'tuned' OAR back to .96 i will run the same two logs i just attached with it,  it is a 14psi tune with a emphasis on spark from brad.

all comments are appreciated. 

this have been going on for almost 6 months so if it sounds like panic it is a mix of frustration, desperation panic and a dash of pissed off :P    the fact Ford has not idea whats going on is super frustrating.

I am very tempted to start tuning from scratch and get a base tune from brad and go through the basics again,  see where we hit the wall. Brad what do you think?

I have the same strategy... its a weird one at that.  Logs like a normal stock SHO... I don't see anything there that is noteworthy..

StealBlueSho

Our strategy doesn't respond the way most strategies do, at least that is the impression I get from Brad after the 40+ revisions we have been through. Which sucks for a platitude of reasons... in any event, I am sure Brad can work through it... it could very well be a tuning issue.

SHOdded

I guess the tune and tuning device not being in sync might have been causing the errors all along?  Wow!  Although $$$ were spent, an end to the hair-pulling would be SWEET!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Not spark, spark source, its like torque source but for spark.

ZSHO

I appreciate the responses from ^^^ as this Topic alone has helped me setup my newly acquired X4 in organizing a list of standard Pid's and hopefully will do some logging in the coming weeks to see what the crap is going on! LOL. Thanks!  Z  :

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|