• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Throttle Body Motor assembly

Started by autobahn terror, January 25, 2018, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autobahn terror

Some how I never saw Your post Gray Brick. I have since swapped over to a new TB, and I can get some photos for you, if you still want them. Let me know and I ill make a project of pulling apart the old one and taking some photos.

I also still need to setup that build log for my new meth setup that i want to do, outlined above. But Life has gotten in the way, not to mention winter and the German vehicle inspections, (i need to find someone how doesnt care about the braided lines all over the top of my engine). And oh yeah, ive been without my SHO since the fender bender in NOV
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Gray Brick

I ended up with a 2nd throttle body freezing up in about 9 months.
Took the original throttle body and use moly lube on all of the parts... its still going strong.
The next time I need to rebuild I will be trying an aluminum anti-seize.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

autobahn terror

Where are you spraying and what nozzle are you using? Did you end up losing your TB adjustment Cap?

I was building a Port injection setup but found out the german inspection would flip out about that, so now I am going to order and install a "Mist-a-pipe" from Prometh. Its basically a short section of charge pipe with 4 nozzle locations in it at 90 degree increments. I am going to put it right at the outlet of the intercooler and use 4 small nozzles, (i bought a bunch of 32cc nozzles for my port injection). My hope is to reduce the droplets that get into the TB. I will also add better gaskets to reduce boost leak through the the TB, which carries the meth into the motor assembly.

2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

SHOdded

I assume the nozzles are spread out so they are not facing each other?

https://prometh.com/collections/mist-a-pipe
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

autobahn terror

I dont have my hands on one yet to verify the nozzle placement options. Once I do get one in I will let everyone know about that. They also have a different version of the same type of product, called the sniper series, which actually places the nozzle in the center of the charge pipe with a cross member as an anchor. I dont see the advantage to this. Really I just want to spray less, and further away from the TB to attempt not breaking it. Obviously the port injection method is the best option, maybe with a small single nozzle by the intercooler outlet just for charge cooling, but I have to figure out a good way to hide that while i am over here. I bought all stainless braided lines for the project, which in hind sight is stupid, because they dont really bend well unless you have a butt load of slack. I may get a bendy kit from them to set up some stainless pipes and attempt to make a discreet setup under the engine cover....

SHOdded

Hopefully it is a quick visual inspection and nothing more :D  I would also ask Mike about hotpipes with bungs at the opposite end of normal (at CAC instead of TB), black powder coated if you think it will help pass inspection. Ecopowerparts.com
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Gray Brick

I am spraying a 9GPH nozzle pre throttle body. 100% meth.

No cap any longer... it blew off when my ATP+2 turbos over-boosted.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

autobahn terror

Same here with the adjustment cap. I think that missing cap is a major contributor to the contamination of the motor assembly by allowing so much boost leak.

I was also spraying about that using the nozzle that came with the alky controls kit,  but I want to drastically cut the amount sprayed, I know you are spraying 100% meth, but 9GPH converts to just over 567ml a minute, pretty substantial. Most people see better results performance wise with less and spraying less will probably also save our Throttle bodies.

To give an example, I planned out my Port injection project with 6 32ml per min nozzles per port, plus two pre-TB, one just before it and two at the outlet of the Intercooler. All with 32cc nozzles it works out to about half the theoretical flow rate at 9*32= 288ml per min on paper. (1GPH=63.09 * 9 = 567.81 ml per min) Depending on who you talk to and want to believe, our setup doesn't need more than 400ML max, (a little under 7GPH).

I assume that you Dyno tuned your ride with your current setup, do you know if your tune is relying on the meth for extra fuel or just using it for safety and charge cooling? When I had my ride dyno'd they were able to achieve 430/430 with 93 octane and using the meth only for charge cooling and a safety net, however, when the meth really kicked in it would really fatten the fuel up and bog the motor some even some audible break up. Mix was about 70/30 Meth/water.

I also just noticed that you are running a HPFP. I would highly recommend that you experiment with your meth setup to find the sweet spot for flow rate vs returns as You dont really need the extra meth "fuel" unless your pushing for higher numbers.

Do you plan on progressing further on the fuel system? Stronger Low Pressure in tank pump? Bigger DI injectors? The Motor can make way more than the trans can take if you do... kinda why I am sitting at my current power level with no plan to go bigger for the moment, just working on dependability/operation of the meth "safety" system.

Gray Brick

Originally I ran this much meth as a buffer for not enough fuel with the stock fuel pump.  With the larger HPFP I probably don't need to run this much meth but it runs so well right now I don't want to change anything.  I ran the 1/8th mile recently and the MPH equated to ~600HP to the crank.  With the larger turbos there is much more power available but I am happy... for now.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

ZSHO

That was my very intention was to add an additional 7th injector last year but after careful analysis it was not recommended in my case IIRC!
I also noticed Prometh does not offer the direct port setup using the 7th injector!

I would start off with a smaller Nozzle because sometimes less is more,especially when adding an additional injector,as you increase orfice it increases methanol. So adding another jet will add volume shot in...

It will ultimately need a retune and would leave the decision to your Tuner IMO!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

autobahn terror

YUP, you are correct, pro meth does not offer direct port kits for the SHO, I had to piece mine together with single serving parts from them and Devils Own. Havnt ran it yet, but I did come up with a solution for the additional nozzles... OR you could order a generic kit for a V8 and then order the other pieces to make it fit for what its worth, I just didnt feel like bending the steel straws at the time... if anyone is interested I can start a new thread with more details of my build plan and parts list so far...

Quote from: ZSHO on January 17, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
I would start off with a smaller Nozzle because sometimes less is more,especially when adding an additional injector,as you increase orfice it increases methanol. So adding another jet will add volume shot in...

YES indeed i agree, less is MORE. That is why i went with the smallest nozzles I could find @ 32cc.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|