• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Big spending on the SHO today

Started by Wardog692, January 24, 2018, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardog692

Took my SHO to the shop today because I've been hearing a crunching from the passenger front suspension when going over bumps. Final tally for the repairs: $2,780!

Full list:
New full strut assembly front left and right (Moog as opposed to Motorcraft)
New inner and outer tie rods
2/4 new motor mounts
Full transmission service (filter and gasket as well)
Possibly some other smaller bushings/linkages as well, can't remember everything they said over the phone.

I *almost* told them to hold off and go with a set of Megan EZII coilovers on all 4 (since they're replacing both fronts already) but I don't think my budget would've allowed for the extra ~$1,000.

Car only has 93,000 miles so it seems a little early for all this stuff to break, but not totally unreasonable I guess (I've heard others averaging about 125k on stock suspension).

Was I an idiot for not opting for the Megans instead?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

bpd1151

Quote from: Wardog692 on January 24, 2018, 12:28:58 PM
Took my SHO to the shop today because I've been hearing a crunching from the passenger front suspension when going over bumps. Final tally for the repairs: $2,780!

Full list:
New full strut assembly front left and right (Moog as opposed to Motorcraft)
New inner and outer tie rods
2/4 new motor mounts
Full transmission service (filter and gasket as well)
Possibly some other smaller bushings/linkages as well, can't remember everything they said over the phone.

I *almost* told them to hold off and go with a set of Megan EZII coilovers on all 4 (since they're replacing both fronts already) but I don't think my budget would've allowed for the extra ~$1,000.

Car only has 93,000 miles so it seems a little early for all this stuff to break, but not totally unreasonable I guess (I've heard others averaging about 125k on stock suspension).

Was I an idiot for not opting for the Megans instead?

Not an idiot at at all.

Your safety, as well as that of any of your passengers is tantamount to anything "extra" like the expense of the Megan's on top of "regular" repairs.

So when funds permit, add the Megan's down the road. It is recommended to swap that stuff every 50k anyhow.

Moving along, I question your "full transmission service" and going further stipulating the replacement of a filter and gasket.

There is no serviceable filter and/or gasket and can only be accessed by cracking open the case. So just be leery of what you're being told (or more importantly.... SOLD) by your shop.

Enjoy the new bits you had installed!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

How did they change the trans filter and gasket?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Wardog692

Quote from: bpd1151 on January 24, 2018, 12:43:41 PM

Moving along, I question your "full transmission service" and going further stipulating the replacement of a filter and gasket.

There is no serviceable filter and/or gasket and can only be accessed by cracking open the case. So just be leery of what you're being told (or more importantly.... SOLD) by your shop.

Enjoy the new bits you had installed!

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 24, 2018, 12:43:47 PM
How did they change the trans filter and gasket?

As far as I understand, they're dropping the pan to access the filter, hence the need for the new gasket as well. I've been using this same shop for over 3 years now, and they've been good to me (even giving me a 10% discount on my total bill this time), so I hope they're not trying to pull one over on me. Like I said, my car is 8-9 years old and at 93k miles, so I figured it's better to do a full service now, considering I don't know the history before I bought it 2 years ago at 79k miles.

I'm still very much a car noob though, so if I'm talking nonsense feel free to call me out on it and educate me!
2010 SHO 402b non PP
mDesign CAI
35% Tint

SHOdded

No pan.  The trans case has to be split in half to access the screen.  Either they dont know what they are doing, or they are ripping u off.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on January 24, 2018, 01:18:25 PM
No pan.  The trans case has to be split in half to access the screen.  Either they dont know what they are doing, or they are ripping u off.
Exactly as I stated in the 1st reply here.

Wardog692

Quote from: SHOdded on January 24, 2018, 01:18:25 PM

We have a 6F55 in the SHO correct? based on this photo removing the black cover would be what's considered "cracking it open"? I'll admit this is all just based on the past 15 minutes of speed reading and google research, my initial claim of "dropping the pan" was just based on the bare minimum transmission knowledge from watching too much Wheeler Dealers.

I mean, if they truly are "cracking it open" and replacing the filter that way, is that necessarily a bad thing? I mean, obviously the filter is replaceable or they wouldn't sell replacement filters/gaskets right?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
mDesign CAI
35% Tint

SHOdded

That is the main control cover, not a pan.  It provides access to the various sensors, valve body, and solenoid body assembly that control the behavior of the transmission.

Not to belabor a point, but there is no filter/gasket as in older transmissions.  Yes replacement screens exist.  The replacement screens exist because sometimes the transmission does need to be overhauled.  Nothing like what you are trying to accomplish here.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

That is only the cover to the valve body assembly itself.

A separate, but associating part. Not necessarily the "transmission" in the true sense.

Thanks for posting that picture. Now the community knows what you're talking about.

Me, SHOdded, & AJP are just looking out for you. Again, there is no serviceable filter/gasket for the transmission and yes, the GEN4 & GEN5 SHO's employ the 6F55 Trans.

Wardog692

Quote from: bpd1151 on January 24, 2018, 02:15:49 PM
That is only the cover to the valve body assembly itself.

A separate, but associating part. Not necessarily the "transmission" in the true sense.

Thanks for posting that picture. Now the community knows what you're talking about.

Me, SHOdded, & AJP are just looking out for you. Again, there is no serviceable filter/gasket for the transmission and yes, the GEN4 & GEN5 SHO's employ the 6F55 Trans.

Really trying not to be dense here and gather as much knowledge as possible, so I really appreciate everyone's help and patience with me!

I found this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1heJSxRK60U that details a 2008 Ford Edge (6F50) trans rebuild that at least gives me a similar idea of what you mean by cracking it open. Am I right in thinking the black piece at the end @45s is the filter then? Based on the total price of the services they're performing, they very well might be going to this length to replace it, but I'll definitely inquire further with the shop as to their procedure. He did mention when he was hunting for parts that they don't sell the gasket/filter as a kit like many other cars and he had to buy them separately, so maybe that's an indication/flag. Based on the comments in the video, the 6F50 filter only lasts until 150k miles, so I might be slightly premature, but it's peace of mind for the future (and future tuning!).
2010 SHO 402b non PP
mDesign CAI
35% Tint

Wardog692

Quote from: Wardog692 on January 24, 2018, 02:53:29 PM

I found this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1heJSxRK60U that details a 2008 Ford Edge (6F50) trans rebuild that at least gives me a similar idea of what you mean by cracking it open. Am I right in thinking the black piece at the end @45s is the filter then?

Oh wait, no, the filter goes in the void we see @10s right? The black piece @45s is the same piece I mentioned in the photo above?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
mDesign CAI
35% Tint

pmezo33

For that price, they better be cracking open that transmission and changing out the filter.  I find it hard to believe they are though.

The rest of that stuff can be done in like 4 or 5 hours with a lift.  Drive it up to CT and i'll do all that stuff for you for $500 if you bring the parts.

SHOdded

Not sure, but we mau still be looking at the side of the trans, ie, what lies behind the main control cover.  I think the screen is in line with the TC and pump ...  YT comments are like throwing s*** against a wall and seeing what sticks, esp in this case.  Also, is it a 2008 or a 2010 being serviced?  SMH.  But yeah, the case is definitely apart.

However, there is no set life on the screen.  We have many Edge vehicles with nearly 300,000 miles on them still going strong.  Neglect can destroy anything early I suppose.

Yes I noticed early on that RockAuto sells what they call a transmission filter for these units.  But most commonly what IS replaced without cracking the case is the solenoid body assembly gasket/screen.  My question is, is the trans being overhauled.  If not, WHY is the case being cracked open.

ZSHO

What preferred shop was this ? I never heard Moog supplying Struts with the exception of suspension components such as Tie rods,links (problem solvers) etc which can be had for fairly cheap!  Maybe they meant Monroe!!!! Dunno!
Motor mounts seldom go bad or get replaced on this platform IIRC! 
I am curious to see the work order!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Wardog692

Will try to remember to update this once I get my car back. I know he said Moog for the tie rods, I might've just applied that to the struts as well. I really wish I had a lift/jack so I could learn and do some of this stuff myself.
2010 SHO 402b non PP
mDesign CAI
35% Tint