• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Clean side PCV and Aftermarket Intakes

Started by polskifacet, January 23, 2018, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

I assume he was hoping that any oil would stay in the filter box instead of going into the turbo inlet/ic
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 25, 2018, 11:25:00 PM
Quote from: polskifacet on January 25, 2018, 11:20:48 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 25, 2018, 11:11:53 PM
SHOBro what did that front hose look like before you modified it and why did you do that? Been a while but I thought that front valve cover hose went to the airbox anyway? NO?
It goes to the front turbo intake piping stock, he plumbed it to the filter box.

Isn't that essentially the same thing?
I originally did it because my RX CSS had a leaky seal and was leaking bits of oil on the valve cover. I've really come to prefer it to an actual separator unit though.

it's pretty much the same thing but a slightly different way to route it. I'm letting fresh air into the oem location through the nipple on the valve cover rather than the aftermarket option of using the clean side separator. looks more stock without a huge separator unit sitting on your oil neck. I really prefer to have the stock oil cap so i don't have to remove the CSS w/air tube attached to add/change oil. Also i really feel the oil neck gets a lot of unnecessary oil exposure. Sure it looks like you're catching a lot but that's oil that could be in the engine doing its job.

whereas the nipple stays pretty clean so there's less to filter to begin with.
I never get any oil in those lines so filter stays dry as a bone.
When you install a catch can it uses the nipple on the front turbo pipe for vacuum for the dirty side catch can and that's why the inlet source for fresh air is routed to the air box.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Wow Dual catch can is a nightmare. There is NO place to mount it. I'm going to have to give in and buy the CSS, at least is only $100 and maybe someone will buy my oil cap breather.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on February 01, 2018, 11:32:15 AM
Wow Dual catch can is a nightmare. There is NO place to mount it. I'm going to have to give in and buy the CSS, at least is only $100 and maybe someone will buy my oil cap breather.
Front bumper location?
Feel free to post the oil cap breather in the dedicated for "Sale Section"!  Z  :)
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,30.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on February 01, 2018, 11:32:15 AM
I'm sure you have your reasons but why not keep $100 in your pocket and do something like i've done with utilizing the stock nipple on the front valve cover? It's just as functional if not more-so than a CSS.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Through research and talking to some bros, utilizing the suction of the turbo, which gives you slight vaccum is more healthy than equal pressure to atmosphere. The oil returns on the turbos will flow ever so slightly better etc. This is why RX & URP utilize this suction in their catch can designs. Both companies use McNally CSS. Yours is probably fine but utilizing the suction is the best for the turbo seals and piston rings and possibly 1-3% better performance (1% or less on our power level 3% with 1500hp)

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on February 01, 2018, 11:10:56 PM
Through research and talking to some bros, utilizing the suction of the turbo, which gives you slight vaccum is more healthy than equal pressure to atmosphere. The oil returns on the turbos will flow ever so slightly better etc. This is why RX & URP utilize this suction in their catch can designs. Both companies use McNally CSS. Yours is probably fine but utilizing the suction is the best for the turbo seals and piston rings and possibly 1-3% better performance (1% or less on our power level 3% with 1500hp)
Maybe there's some fundamentals i'm missing in the design so bear with me as i'm just trying to understand. . .
How does a CSS routed to the airbox take advantage of suction from the turbos?  Or function any differently than the way i have it setup other than it draws air in from the nipple rather than the oil neck?
In both cases it's still getting air from the intake and routing it to the crankcase as far i see it.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Your setup may work perfectly fine.

The front pcv line acts 2 ways. Under idle/vacuum it intakes fresh filtered air, under WOT it allows the turbo to suck crank case air while the seperator on the rear cover sees boost thus it is closed.

Physics would say that your setup has less sucking power as its further away from source of suction (turbo).

I have an Airraid intake so your solution doesn't apply.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on February 02, 2018, 12:27:30 AM

The front pcv line acts 2 ways. Under idle/vacuum it intakes fresh filtered air, under WOT it allows the turbo to suck crank case air while the seperator on the rear cover sees boost thus it is closed.

Physics would say that your setup has less sucking power as its further away from source of suction (turbo).

How would a CSS also routed to the intake provide any more sucking power?
Unless you're planning on routing the CSS hose to the nipple on the front charge pipe to draw in air from the OEM location?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Agentlongwood

Why would you want to get the suction from the clean side?  Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of it being "clean?"  Under boost you get that suction from the WOT line that goes from the front turbo intake to the catch can, right?       
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

polskifacet

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on February 03, 2018, 10:03:24 AM
Quote from: polskifacet on February 02, 2018, 12:27:30 AM

How would a CSS also routed to the intake provide any more sucking power?
Unless you're planning on routing the CSS hose to the nipple on the front charge pipe to draw in air from the OEM location?
Yup that would be the plan but I never ended up getting the css. I currently have a clear pipe in the stock location and it doesn't show any sign of oil.