• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Differential fluid ?

Started by ecoboostsho, January 20, 2018, 02:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Okay so I ordered Amsoil 75W - 90 o change out my diff fluid today. I had everything ready to go and opened the box I got from Amsoil and no diff fluid inside! Guess I will have to call them about that. I have some Mobil 1 75w-90 but it has limited slip additive. Is that okay to use or do we need just straight up gear oil? Sorry in advance for the stupid question...I know there is a clutch back there to engage the rear wheels but not much else about the unit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Heelfan1

Doesn't most synthetic gear oil have friction modifier in it now days? I put Mobil 1 in mine and it has it.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Heelfan1 on January 20, 2018, 02:33:31 PM
Doesn't most synthetic gear oil have friction modifier in it now days? I put Mobil 1 in mine and it has it.
I think you are right. I looked up the specs on the Amsoil severe gear and it says it is compatible with limited slips. So it's probably not an issue.

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

AJP turbo

I don't know about that...it may be compatible to use for rear ends where a friction modifier is necessary but you still need to add it...amsoil makes a separate bottle of slip lock to be used as the friction modifier

Id check with them
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Would not use a product with LS additives.  Even though the RDU has a clutch pack.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Here's are a couple of great article's on the PTU,RDU on the PI which is similar to the SHO with the exception of the 3:39 Gear ratio IIRC on the PI!  Z

The Power Transfer Unit uses an internal temperature sensor, not found on the retail unit. A module keeps track of oil temperature in the PTU and the amount of time spent at that temperature. An electric clutch pack engages and disengages as torque is transferred to the rear wheels.

Third, the Rear Differential Unit on the police version uses a fluid-filled clutch pack, while the retail version uses dry clutches. The fluid-filled RDU can withstand more severe duty.

The cooling ability of the police-only auxiliary radiator-water jacket combination was tested in 110 deg. F weather. Hard driving—where power is constantly shifting from front to rear, back and forth—can take many different forms.

Under the worst conditions of high-torque, clutch engagement and disengagement, the synthetic oil reached temperatures around 195 deg F. The special lube is rated for temps just over 500 deg F. The air-to-water cooler works.

Ford Tough AWD in Police Interceptor

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5091

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4650

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 20, 2018, 02:45:31 PM
I don't know about that...it may be compatible to use for rear ends where a friction modifier is necessary but you still need to add it...amsoil makes a separate bottle of slip lock to be used as the friction modifier

Id check with them
Will do. Thanks!

polskifacet

Quote from: ecoboostsho on January 20, 2018, 04:57:02 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 20, 2018, 02:45:31 PM

Id check with them
Will do. Thanks!

I have Lucas synthetic 80w-90 in my diff and it is still crystal clear after 50k.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ZSHO

I used RED LINE 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL which has been working as designed!  Z
Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials -
for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

Specs below

https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-gl-5-gear-oil

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/75W90_GO_PROD_INFO.pdf

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ZSHO on January 21, 2018, 07:23:00 PM
Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials -

Specs below

Thanks Z

ZSHO

Quote from: ecoboostsho on January 21, 2018, 07:24:24 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 21, 2018, 07:23:00 PM

Specs below

Thanks Z

NP Buddy! It seems that it does contain the friction modifier based on the Spec sheet provided ^^. Z  :)

Ford ES-PM-M2013
Ford WSP-M2C197-A
Ford  WSP-M2C201-A
Ford  WSS-M2C939-A
Ford  XY-75W90-QLS
Ford  XY-75W90-TQL
Ford  XY-80W90-QL

ecoboostsho

So I did reach out to Amsoil and they are sending my missing quart of oil so that rocks! There tech department also said their 75w-90 is perfectly compatible with the SHO so it sounds like I'm good to go once it gets here.

Thanks for the help everyone.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!