• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PPE Downpipe install - ColoradoSHOBro

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, January 19, 2018, 12:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Well here it goes. I'll do my best to be concise but descriptive. Hopefully the pictures do the talking for me.
Overall this is a pretty straightforward job.

SPRAY DOWN ALL BOLTS WITH PB BLASTER SEVERAL TIMES PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF OEM DOWNPIPES.
I squirted mine down 3 separate times within 2 weeks leading up to day of installation.
TOOLS:

Downpipe to turbo flange nuts-x6. 15mm socket. 1/2" drive w/ extensions and 1/2" universal joint. You'll do this 6 times. 3 times/per downpipe.
Downpipe to cat-back-x4. also 15mm
7/8" or 22mm line wrench with breaker bar for front primary o2 sensor(the only one you HAVE to remove while downpipe is still on the car). You can also use a torch instead of breaker bar.

STEP 1: ***BEFORE YOU JACK THE CAR UP****
UNPLUG BOTH PRIMARY o2 SENSOR WIRING HARNESS'

FRONT PIPE PRIMARY-looking straight down behind the pass side cooling fan.

REAR PIPE PRIMARY

This one's a little tricky to find. behind the rear cam cover on passenger side. directly below the oil separator. It's a way down there and a little frustrating to get seperated.

NOW RAISE THE CAR AS THE REST OF THE WORK IS DONE FROM UNDER THE CAR.

FRONT SECONDARY O2 HARNESS

REAR SECONDARY

I started with the front downpipe removal. You need to remove the front primary o2 sensor. I didn't get a pic of this step but i used a 7/8" wrench with a breaker bar. With that out of the way you've got a straight shot at the top turbo flange nut.

REMOVE 3x15mm TURBO-DOWNPIPE NUTS.
easy access to all 3 w/ extension and universal joint.

other 2 nuts being removed not pictured.
NEXT DISCONNECT THE DOWNPIPES FROM THE REAR CAT-BACK.
2x15mm. also not pictured. downpipe will fall right out after this.

MOVING ON TO THE REAR DOWNPIPE:
REMOVE PASSENGER SIDE WHEEL.

straight shot from there

Then remove other 2 downpipe-catback nuts.

THIS DOWNPIPE REQUIRES SOME CAREFUL TWISTING FOR REMOVAL. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BANG AROUND THE o2 SENSORS.

ONCE YOU'VE DROPPED THE PIPES IT'S A GOOD TIME TO CHECK OUT THE STATE OF YOUR MICRO-TURBOS.

LOOKIN GOOD

NOW THAT BOTH PIPES ARE OUT-REMOVE THE OTHER 3 o2 SENSORS AND MARK THEIR POSITION IN THE DOWNPIPE.
Don't think it was completely necessary but i torched the flange of the sensors and they came out like butter.

INSTALLATION IS PRETTY MUCH THE REVERSE OF THIS.
The rear downpipe is a bit of a chore to twist into place. I had to remove this bracket to make it happen and it was still real tight. they're 10mm bolts.

You will need new hardware for the downpipe to cat-back as the OEM bolts are pressed into the downpipes. 4 bolts/nuts and washers.

LOOSELY CONNECT THE BACKSIDE OF THE DOWNPIPE TO THE CAT-BACK TO HELP IT KEEP IN PLACE. SLIDE THE NEW DOWNPIPE OVER THE TURBO STUDS AND START THE NUTS. TORQUE DOWN THE TURBO SIDE 1ST-THEN CAT-BACK SIDE.

ONCE YOUR NEW DOWNPIPES ARE IN PLACE RE-INSTALL ALL 4 OXYGEN SENSORS AND PLUG BACK INTO THE HARNESS'. (use anti-seize)

SIT BACK AND ADMIRE THE BEAUTIES.BEFORE YOUR 1ST TEST DRIVE!!  :beer2:

Sorry the pics are so massive-click them to get full frame view.and anyone feel free to add suggestions/corrections. None of the current writeups have pics so i wanted to fill the void. Hopefully some will find it useful.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on January 19, 2018, 01:02:24 AM
Pics are on PB?
Yeah actually. Still workin for me but the pics are freakin huge and the PB site is pretty glitchy.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on January 19, 2018, 01:51:11 AM
Ok, yeah, I cannot see them
dang. i can see them from my cel on tapatalk. can anyone else see them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 19, 2018, 08:33:25 AM

No worries! Progress is in session!  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on January 19, 2018, 08:51:46 AM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 19, 2018, 08:33:25 AM

No worries! Progress is in session!  Z   
thanks z! this forum is nothing without you. just funny i could view them on my pc and cel phone no problem :shrug:

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Agentlongwood

About how long did it take you to get this done?  Downpipes are my next project. Once I save the cash for it... so it may be a while, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Agentlongwood on January 19, 2018, 12:47:54 PM
About how long did it take you to get this done?  Downpipes are my next project. Once I save the cash for it... so it may be a while, lol.
~2.5 hours in no rush at all. that included taking a little time to make sure all gasket surfaces were clean and selecting new bolts/nuts and washers for the cat- back out of the hardware drawer. i did have air tools and an extra person to help when i needed it. the only minor time hang-ups were making a makeshift breaker bar out of pvc pipe and contorting the rear downpipe into place.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

J-Will

Would you mind editing the original post with part numbers for the nut and bolts used as well as gasket part numbers and how many needed (did you need to double up) and anything else additional/ new.

I'd like a consolidated single reference if possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Macgyver

One thing that is a plus for the SHO and its DD ability and yacht functionality. The small turbos scream and are great on torque. They just fall flat at higher rpms.

My 2014 Nissan Juke RS has a very small turbo which does 310wtq+ and 245whp(cam phasing adjusted) on my torque tune/map. It does 255wtq and 285whp on my power tune/map. The turbo housing is the power limitation with the small turbo.

Mamba Tech makes a modded Juke turbo with a 19T wheel. You can get the power and torque mostly flat out to 6500rpms.

Why does the SHO drop so much power after certain (5500) rpms?

AJP turbo

The sho turbos are probably even smaller than the juke...they don't move enough air just too small
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Macgyver

Here is what my Juke has....... Its the largest "Turbo" you can bolt on to the OEM exhaust flange. Same OEM housing. Upgraded internals.

Compressor wheel : 46 / 58mm (11+0 GTX Billet Wheel w/ Extended Tip)
Turbine Wheel : 41.3 / 47mm (12 Blade TD04L Turbine Wheel)

http://shop.mambatek.com/product.sc?productId=1937

Not sure what is in our SHO's and what size you can upgrade to.

EDIT:

Sorry for the minor Thread hijack.

Stock Turbine
-Wheel Inducer: 40mm
-Wheel Exducer: 34.5mm

Stock Compressor
-Wheel Inducer: 36.3mm
-Wheel Exducer: 49mm

Upgraded +2 Turbine
-Wheel Inducer: 50mm
-Wheel Exducer: 43.5mm
-Range: New Series Garrett GT Journal Bearing

Upgraded +2 Compressor
-Wheel Inducer: 43.4mm
-Wheel Exducer: 56mm
-Range: New Series Garrett GT Journal Bearing

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: J-Will on January 19, 2018, 04:36:11 PM
Would you mind editing the original post with part numbers for the nut and bolts used as well as gasket part numbers and how many needed (did you need to double up) and anything else additional/ new.

I'd like a consolidated single reference if possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
well i re-used the oem gaskets on all sides and no doubling up. i pulled the nuts and bolts from a hardware drawer so i certainly don't have part #s or specs on the bolts used. . other than they were 9/16" heads.

honestly, if someone can't figure it out from this write up and/or the others on this forum. . . they should pay a shop to do it for them. it's pretty simple

most important thing is having the right equipment

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.