• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Got my SHO back on the road after several years

Started by Spoolin-SVT, January 13, 2018, 05:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoolin-SVT

Well a couple years back Aug/July of 2015 I lost compression in cylinder 3 or 6 not sure which one it is. But I had 187psi across the board till the dead cylinder at 50psi.
Could not have happened at a worse time as I had just purchased my house and wasn't even moved in yet. Took me a long time to even figure out what I was going to do with the car because anything ford offered was damn near the cost of the car so it was hard to justify.

I ended up buying a used engine several months ago from a 2012 Flex with 44k miles. Took me quite a while and a lot of searching to finally find an engine that met my criteria. These things sell fast if they have lower miles , as another engine I tried to purchase the same day it was posted had been sold as I was on hold with another representative.
Ford still wanted an arm and a leg to swap the engines out, I ended up taking it to a friend of mine who does a lot of work for local smaller dealerships. He literally did the work for 1/3rd of the price and I couldn't be happier. And i had him throw in some cat less down pipes while he was at it!

I have been driving the car  for about 2 months now with zero issues besides a bad 02 sensor , easy fix.
I have since then bought a set of wheels and tires off a very low mile (8k) 2012 Gt track package from a buddy of mine who had them laying around for the last couple year. Gave me a stupid price i couldn't turn down.
Wheels are 19x9's with 255/40/19 all around. This combo lowered the car a lot, I'd say a good 1.5" and that's on top of the H&R's. Never scrapped over speed bumps or my factory chin spoiler till now. They fit alright in my book, I will eventually go to a different style wheel/tire combo but these are a big upgrade over my stock/bald tires I had. And for the price / like new condition I couldn't turn it down.

Parts I just ordered tonight consist the Power stop drilled/slotted rotor kit all around as my front brakes are near metal on metal and my rotors are warped and cause some "FUN" heavy braking at higher speeds lol. Also ordered the stainless brake lines to accommodate the new brake set up.
Also have the LED DRL kit on its way as well.

I guess all in all I am very happy to finally have my SHO back on the road and wanted to share my excitement with you guys. I'll try to load a pic of the car on the mustang track pack wheels.
First 3 pics is how it was before.
1991 Modfox IRS (Eaton swap in the works)
1993 2.3T Ported head/cam HX35
1997 Cobra Built engine Billet S476
2010 Ford SHO Daily Driver

bpd1151

Welcome back! Exciting times are in your horizon once again. Here's to new and better memories ahead.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

That sucks man..glad you put the work in to get it back..how did you find the engine exactly?

With the springs and all id say you lowered the car at least 2.5" that is a small tire

You are going to be putting more miles on the odometer than actual so you should look into a tune to correct for that..was your stock size 20"?

Do you run premium fuel and synthetic oil? I think synthetic should be mandatory due to the all the new findings of LSPI and how oil can help mitigate that
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Thought the timing chain rattle would be the end of the story, guess not :(  x2 on putting in the effort to revive the SHO, kudos and enjoy.  May good fortune ride with you!

As far as LSPI, FoMoCoSHO had uncovered research pointing to how detergent free fuel actually triggers fewer LSPI events :o  Who woulda thunk!  But yes, these engines really thrive on a premium fodder and maintenance regimen.  Still not as reliable, I fear, as their naturally aspirated siblings.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spoolin-SVT

I found the engine on Car-Part.com , its a massive site that allows everyone to search for specific parts that junkyards have listed. I presume they are generally used by body/mechanical shops. Found the engine in Portland, OR (just a couple hours south of me) for around $2800. I ate the core charge because I'm not sure what I plan to do with my engine. Maybe future projects for one of my fox's?? Plus, finding it in Oregon I didn't have to pay any sales tax which is always a bonus so it was worth the trip.

Yeah I did think about that the tire size and speedo difference. I am actually still on my first version tune from Torrie, was planning on doing some data logging this week and I will have him correct that while hes at it. Was wondering if the smaller tire sized accommodated for my quicker 0-60 test, I would imagine so but I am not sure by how much. Down to a 4.33 with the new wheel/tire combo using my livelink.

I do run Premium fuel, 92 octane is the highest we have here in WA. Either from Shell or Chevron. When the car lost compression before I was running Fred Meyer gas albeit was 92 octane as well but I am not sure if its in the same level as Shell/Chevron so I will stay between those two for piece of mind.
Currently running Chevron Supreme 5w30. But I am going to be doing a oil change here shortly and will most likely go with one of the Amsoil products.
I had my friend put in new PTU fluid because I was having some slipping issues before and saw that was a likely culprit. And wow, amazing what some good / actual fluid can do.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Spoolin-SVT on January 15, 2018, 01:40:41 AM

Yeah I did think about that the tire size and speedo difference. I am actually still on my first version tune from Torrie, was planning on doing some data logging this week and I will have him correct that while hes at it. Was wondering if the smaller tire sized accommodated for my quicker 0-60 test, I would imagine so but I am not sure by how much. Down to a 4.33 with the new wheel/tire combo using my livelink.

I had my friend put in new PTU fluid because I was having some slipping issues before and saw that was a likely culprit. And wow, amazing what some good / actual fluid can do.

I would say your wheel and tire combo does have something to do with your results...Livelink will show a higher logged speed just like your speedo will show a higher speed than actual..You are not covering the same ground per revolution.

And also the PTU is gear on gear so I wouldn't think that was the culprit for any slipping
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Spoolin-SVT

I would say your wheel and tire combo does have something to do with your results...Livelink will show a higher logged speed just like your speedo will show a higher speed than actual..You are not covering the same ground per revolution.

And also the PTU is gear on gear so I wouldn't think that was the culprit for any slipping
[/quote]

Saw a video or online where his car did the exact same thing as mine where it would slip and rev out under hard acceleration. The "lifetime" PTU fluid from ford ending up being more of a gunk/tar than fluid and after he changed it, everything was back to normal. I'll see if I can find the video of it. But if the PTU is gear on gear that would be kinda interesting...
All in all, I had the PTU fluid changed and the tranny fluid which wasnt great as well and the car no longer slips or blows through the converter on hard acceleration. Maybe its 1 or the other or a combination but I am happy either way lol.

Now the car does feel like it holds back power from a HARD launch i.e brake boost or even sometimes If i stab it from a dead stop. RPMs will still climb but the power hits a wall and its very noticable. This is with traction control off too, not a PP model so i can't fully disengage it either. Would this be torque management?

Heres the video I saw on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMjbZSrpbA

I will try to upload a video of my car I took when it was doing it a couple years ago. Note, the slipping only occured when the tune was uploaded but perfectly fine when stock. For obvious reasons but I couldnt tell when I test drove it before I bought it.

I tried to upload my video but got an error so I uploaded it via youtube, here is the link to my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4j7jDHG1EY

lamrith

Quote from: Spoolin-SVT on January 15, 2018, 01:40:41 AM
I found the engine on Car-Part.com , its a massive site that allows everyone to search for specific parts that junkyards have listed. I presume they are generally used by body/mechanical shops. Found the engine in Portland, OR (just a couple hours south of me) for around $2800. I ate the core charge because I'm not sure what I plan to do with my engine. Maybe future projects for one of my fox's?? Plus, finding it in Oregon I didn't have to pay any sales tax which is always a bonus so it was worth the trip.

I do run Premium fuel, 92 octane is the highest we have here in WA. Either from Shell or Chevron. When the car lost compression before I was running Fred Meyer gas albeit was 92 octane as well but I am not sure if its in the same level as Shell/Chevron so I will stay between those two for piece of mind.
Currently running Chevron Supreme 5w30. But I am going to be doing a oil change here shortly and will most likely go with one of the Amsoil products.
Hello from a Fellow WA member!!  Grats on getting that car back on the road.  I am loving my Sho for playing in our awesome wet weather 8 months a year.!

Drop me a PM, we should meet up, I would love to see your car and it's stance in person.  We may already know each other as I see you are into mustangs too and I ran in that crowd a number of years ago and still have my '95 vert.

I was looking at E30 tune fore a while, but there is NO corn around here, so I am stuck with 92 like you, I might go meth come summer time though.  Bunch of addict around here and the peer pressure and stories are starting to take hold on me.  I will tell you right now, Hit up Brad for a tune, it is pretty darn sweet tune and I love it in my '13 an dI have been tuned by others, his is just dialed in and off the hook.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Spoolin-SVT

[/quote]
Hello from a Fellow WA member!!  Grats on getting that car back on the road.  I am loving my Sho for playing in our awesome wet weather 8 months a year.!

Drop me a PM, we should meet up, I would love to see your car and it's stance in person.  We may already know each other as I see you are into mustangs too and I ran in that crowd a number of years ago and still have my '95 vert.

I was looking at E30 tune fore a while, but there is NO corn around here, so I am stuck with 92 like you, I might go meth come summer time though.  Bunch of addict around here and the peer pressure and stories are starting to take hold on me.  I will tell you right now, Hit up Brad for a tune, it is pretty darn sweet tune and I love it in my '13 an dI have been tuned by others, his is just dialed in and off the hook.
[/quote]

Im glad you stopped by, I actually saw some of your post a little while back noticed you lived in WA as well. We will definitely have to get together sometime soon!
I am trying to stay away from e30 mix or meth for my DD but I know its going to be hard. I actually have 2 55 gallon drums in my garage of E98 and E85 so it is very tempting. I have actually been thinking about hitting uyp AJP for a tune, I followed some of the stuff he has done as well and was very impressed. Not saying anything about Torries tunes but there are a few little things I am not fond of.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Spoolin-SVT on January 16, 2018, 02:18:14 AM

Im glad you stopped by, I actually saw some of your post a little while back noticed you lived in WA as well. We will definitely have to get together sometime soon!
I am trying to stay away from e30 mix or meth for my DD but I know its going to be hard. I actually have 2 55 gallon drums in my garage of E98 and E85 so it is very tempting. I have actually been thinking about hitting uyp AJP for a tune, I followed some of the stuff he has done as well and was very impressed. Not saying anything about Torries tunes but there are a few little things I am not fond of.
E98?

Biggest bang and least strain on the fuel system..

Don't you like spark advance, lol

15 PSI and 26-28 degrees is no joke and it will pull like a freight train into felony territory...no more running out of breath on the top end.

One day on my way home from Mexico there was a douche nozzle in a Maserati Gran Turismo harassing everyone. Sparkie did not take kindly to his behavior and put down an a$$ whipping from 80 to 130. His woman was LHFAO when pulled by.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

I too had to get a new longblock. Ended uo with a bran new one from Ford at 10% over cost I think was $6,500 after the core was returned. Dropped another $1600 on stock turbo upgrades and $600 on the longblock install ha ha  Oh wait and $400 on a new TQ converter since I was driving in gear when it threw a few rods.

Love the Fox notch with FR's !
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler