• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Car leaking oil,smoking from exhaust oil Sep Fix!

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, January 16, 2018, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Interesting!  So it sounds like it "can" be cleaned?  Or is that not recommended.  I'm guessing a new one can't cost that much.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

polskifacet

Quote from: ecoboostsho on January 17, 2018, 02:56:49 PM
Interesting!  So it sounds like it "can" be cleaned?  Or is that not recommended.  I'm guessing a new one can't cost that much.
It is between $60 and $80. I don't see why you can't just clean it. I was able to check if the internal check valve was holding so good to go. I'm sure some kind of schedule is much more effective then when you already have an issue. Clean it, it doesn't cost anything and effort level of 1.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

if your vehicle is low mileage(mine was @45k when it gave out) then cleaning at a regular interval certainly won't hurt. however, if yours fails like mine did the car is borderline undriveable and it could leave you stranded. then even worse your at the mercy of a local dealer having it in stock. in my case there was 1 dealer in the state that had one and it was  a 45min drive to get the part and was 95$ after tax.
ultimately i would recommend replacing the component then start a cleaning cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

so yeah I just pulled this out of my intercooler after doing a few WOT pulls and noticing oil blown all over the engine bay from the rear BOV and wastegate mod. wow!

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

and this was out of the catch can. obviously it was overworked since the oil separator took a crap.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

So the failed pcv oil separator caused the intercooler to fill up with oil too!? Damn goes to show how important that piece is

On a side note makes me think how ridiculous it is to drill a hole in the intercooler to allow the condensated oil to escape which is really a symptom of another problem and not the root problem...not to mention an oily messy weep hole and potential loss of warranty.

Would never have known you had another problem if the intercooler was drilled😂😂😂
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

So you mean you should really drill down till you get to the real cause?  Seriously though, this would be great if it truly addresses the issue.  Pretty easy fix.  Maybe even the F150 would benefit.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

i hear ya brad. i would have never thought that failed component would result in such a pronounced issue. i guess i know why i was a quart low on oil now!!! seems to be a theme that when a part breaks on me it REALLY BREAKS! i don't think most cars would experience the oil consumption that i did on a failure.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on January 18, 2018, 07:42:20 PM
Here's the repair work order for reference from a few years ago which in my case replaced a leaky rear valve cover plus Oil Sep and PCV valve which was replaced under warranty as per TSB 14-0196 to correct the concern ! 
BTW found evidence of oil in the crankcase vent oil Separator and yes smoke was coming from exhaust tailpipe!  Z

2013+ TSB
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg79067.html#msg79067

2010-2012 TSB

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,496.0.html
^ in regards to this i find it odd that the part that failed on my car is the same part # that is put in on the tsb and the same part# i replaced my bad one with. that tells me it's the same design so im not sure how it's a "fix" in the long term unless the 13+ originally came with a different oil separator than the one referenced in the TSB.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 18, 2018, 08:24:17 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 18, 2018, 07:42:20 PM
Here's the repair work order for reference from a few years ago which in my case replaced a leaky rear valve cover plus Oil Sep and PCV valve which was replaced under warranty as per TSB 14-0196 to correct the concern ! 
BTW found evidence of oil in the crankcase vent oil Separator and yes smoke was coming from exhaust tailpipe!  Z

2013+ TSB
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg79067.html#msg79067

2010-2012 TSB

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,496.0.html
^ in regards to this i find it odd that the part that failed on my car is the same part # that is put in on the tsb and the same part# i replaced my bad one with. that tells me it's the same design so im not sure how it's a "fix" in the long term unless the 13+ originally came with a different oil separator than the one referenced in the TSB.

There is no long-term or permanent FIX IMO!
There are unfortunately new revisions-supercession updated parts which can be downright confusing to say the least as parts goes! Dunno! But truly glad you were able to fix your car without a hitch and luck was on your side my friend.
What type of oil are you running ?

I would say staying on TOP of your vehicle maintenance aspect is crucial and goes a long way and should be treated under (severe conditions) as far as maintenance goes on this platform especially if tuned! just some food for thought!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Thanks Z i'm thankful it was a easy(albeit very inconvenient)fix.
I'm running amsoil 0w-30 and am relatively OCD with my maintenance schedule.
Right now my concern is getting the remnants of oil residue out of my intercooler. Need to find that thread from the guy that took off the drivers side turbo hose and used cleaning solution to wash things out.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 18, 2018, 09:37:11 PM
Thanks Z i'm thankful it was a easy(albeit very inconvenient)fix.
I'm running amsoil 0w-30 and am relatively OCD with my maintenance schedule.
Right now my concern is getting the remnants of oil residue out of my intercooler. Need to find that thread from the guy that took off the drivers side turbo hose and used cleaning solution to wash things out.
NP!  Z   :) CAC- HOW TO Courtesy of ShoBoat!
Best of luck.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3056.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|