• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Car leaking oil,smoking from exhaust oil Sep Fix!

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, January 16, 2018, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Experienced an issue in the last few miles of my drive to work this morning.
it was 4 degrees this morning so i let the car warm up for 5 minutes and headed out. ran normally for most of the way but towards the end of the drive i could feel a slight stumble. i had the heater on and there was a VERY strong odor coming through. smelt like something burning but can't put my finger on exactly what.
parked the car and left it running and looked around the engine bay. car was smoking from the rear bank and there was oil around the back valve cover. oil pooled out of the rear BOV.(see pic).
let it sit for a few hours. went out and checked oil level, it was almost a quart low. started it again without any trouble then it began smoking out of the tail pipes pretty heavy. engine bay was still smoking and car was chugging a bit and idle bouncing.
i could also hear a burping/slurping sound coming from what sounded like the air box. pulled the cover and it was dry. coolant level normal.
no dtc
no misfires registered

what could it be?
blown rear turbo passing oil by the looks of the rear BOV?
popped cylinder?-prob not or i'd have misfires.

i'm all ears guys!
thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHJ-wIAPN4&feature=youtu.be
link to a video of smoke from exhaust. it got worse than this the longer i let it run

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Don't Drive it for the time being IMO!  Check the OCC lines to make sure there not frozen! 
Check the PCV system Oil Sep! Check the Oil Cap ? Hopefully it doesn't look like pudding!  Check for Codes!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:38:12 PM
Don't Drive it for the time being IMO!  Check the OCC lines to make sure there not frozen! 
Check the PCV system Oil Sep!  Check the oil Cap  ? Z
yep i'm going to check the occ lines on my lunch. i guess a check valve could have failed too.
would any of that cause this though?
no i didn't look at the oil cap yet. ill do that too.
thanks for the suggestions

no codes present as of now.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 16, 2018, 12:44:29 PM
yep i'm going to check the occ lines on my lunch. i guess a check valve could have failed too.

I'm hoping its not the rear Turbo! especially the Oil Cap pudding of death!
It could be oil inside the crankcase!  Check the above mentioned!
I'm hoping you have Warranty!  Best of luck.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:58:42 PM

Check the above mentioned! I'm hoping you have Warranty!  Best of luck.  Z
can you elaborate on the puddling of death? i'm not familiar.

i do have a warranty. will flash back to stock today and disconnect battery.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 16, 2018, 01:03:15 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:58:42 PM

Check the above mentioned! I'm hoping you have Warranty!  Best of luck.  Z
can you elaborate on the puddling of death? i'm not familiar.

i do have a warranty. will flash back to stock today and disconnect battery.

The worst case scenario is this!!  Dont mean to scare you!  Z
! No longer available

pmezo33

Right off the bat, sounds to me like a bad oil separator.  They do go bad in these cars.  I'd pull it and see if there's excessive oil in there. 

If there is, I'd replace that and the PCV valve and go from there.

SHOdded

Def pull the hose off the rear turbo, a must in a situation like this.  Ford has already acknowledged the valve cover / pcv separator issue, fingers crossed it is just that ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

pmezo may have hit it on the head. this is what I found. milky moisture at the separator. Oil cap and dipstick were totally clean.OCC lines seem clear and absolutely nothing came out of the catch can when I tried to drain it.

The only other thing I'm wondering is if a bad check valve at the OCC would cause this?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

pmezo33

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 16, 2018, 01:40:51 PM
pmezo may have hit it on the head. this is what I found. milky moisture at the separator. Oil cap and dipstick were totally clean.OCC lines seem clear and absolutely nothing came out of the catch can when I tried to drain it.

The only other thing I'm wondering is if a bad check valve at the OCC would cause this?

That's moisture mixing with the oil.  Looks like you've isolated where the issue is assuming the rest of your oil doesn't look like that milky mess because then you'll have much bigger issues.

Change the oil separator and PCV, clean everything up, and you should (hopefully) be good to go.

polskifacet

This is oddly similar to my oil smoking but mine was not to this extent. I think you can actually take apart the oil separator but the oring might go bad once you do. Wonder if it is actual oil sludge in the baffle. My OCC has been filling up with water in these low temps.

AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

polskifacet

Looks like the oil separator is gone after 2014 SHO models.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Gray Brick

I changed my oil separator and PCV... oil/smoke issues went away.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on January 16, 2018, 02:08:01 PM
This is oddly similar to my oil smoking but mine was not to this extent. I think you can actually take apart the oil separator but the oring might go bad once you do. Wonder if it is actual oil sludge in the baffle. My OCC has been filling up with water in these low temps.

did you have to replace your oil separator or was it a different issue?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.