• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Car leaking oil,smoking from exhaust oil Sep Fix!

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, January 16, 2018, 11:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

I was having smoke on decel after being on the throttle.

Changed the PCV valve and separator... added UPR catch can. No more smoke.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Gray Brick on January 16, 2018, 06:29:31 PM

just read through your other thread. thanks for updating. so you just replaced the oil separator and not the valve cover correct?

i pulled off the separator and it looked far worse than yours did. all sorts of milky crud in there and  the pcv valve. ill get pics of it later. picking up a separator from the dealership now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 16, 2018, 07:07:58 PM
Quote from: Gray Brick on January 16, 2018, 06:29:31 PM

just read through your other thread. thanks for updating. so you just replaced the oil separator and not the valve cover correct?

i pulled off the separator and it looked far worse than yours did. all sorts of milky crud in there and  the pcv valve. ill get pics of it later. picking up a separator from the dealership now

The very reason i was curious to know!  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

new separator on and problem solved! thanks to all who commented to help the diagnosis. once again the fine folks here have proved more than helpful.

here's the old separator. . nasty.
blew oil all over the rear of the engine bay
just got done cleaning stuff up and spraying down the map sensors. ill be doing a more thorough job on my upcoming weekend.

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Interesting...Seems like the OEM separator works really well until full....I've always wondered why people install catch cans on these since they are basically equipped with one.

Seems like this should be a maintenance item.

Wonder if the 2.0 ecoboost has one?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pmezo33

SHOdded

Second AJP's call to make this a regular maintenance item.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Before I saw this I also took off my separator. Looks to me like the oil drainback was clogged. I simple greened it for about an hour (fill, let sit in simple green, shake, rinse, repeat). There is another check valve or valves inside the separator. I blew and sucked the different holes (set my self up on this one lol) after cleaning and seemed like it was working properly. I also had about 1/3 of my JTL catch can filled with oil sludge which i had to clean with brake cleaner and a scrub with paper (I just cleaned it last week!!!!!).

Before this I also put a breather on the clean side and was getting some PCV smell through the vents on idle which is weird because it pulls a strong vacuum @ idle. Will continue to monitor, hoping we figured it out!!!
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

lamrith

For those of us newer to the platform can someone show us what/where this catchcan is?  Maybe a less zoomed in picture so we can see?  Sounds like it is possible to clean/empty it given Polshifacet's post, I want to make it part of my oil change routine moving forward.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

AJP turbo

Quote from: lamrith on January 17, 2018, 11:04:07 AM
For those of us newer to the platform can someone show us what/where this catchcan is?  Maybe a less zoomed in picture so we can see?  Sounds like it is possible to clean/empty it given Polshifacet's post, I want to make it part of my oil change routine moving forward.

It's the black box on the rear valve cover
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: lamrith on January 17, 2018, 11:04:07 AM
Great to hear the Awesome news Colorado-SHOBro.  Z  :)
Highlighted in BLUE. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on January 16, 2018, 02:17:20 PM
Looks like the oil separator is gone after 2014 SHO models.
The 2015-MY+ has an updated built in internal oil Sep inside the valve cover. IIRC.  Z

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: ZSHO on January 17, 2018, 11:59:42 AM
The 2015-MY+ has an updated built in internal oil Sep inside the valve cover. IIRC.  Z
would be even worse if it failed then!! lol. but hopefully they've figured out a more durable design.

i considered cleaning mine after it was off the car since i didn't have the new one yet. i even tried to take it apart to no avail. in the end i'm glad i replaced it. there's less smoke out of the tailpipe than i've ever experienced . . even on cold startup. i would highly advise anyone to add this to the maintenance schedule.

also Z. . can you update the title of this thread to include "oil separator problem" or something of that nature. that way users in the future can search it out easily.
thanks

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 17, 2018, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 17, 2018, 11:59:42 AM
would be even worse if it failed then!! lol. but hopefully they've figured out a more durable design.

i considered cleaning mine after it was off the car since i didn't have the new one yet. i even tried to take it apart to no avail. in the end i'm glad i replaced it. there's less smoke out of the tailpipe than i've ever experienced . . even on cold startup. i would highly advise anyone to add this to the maintenance schedule.

also Z. . can you update the title of this thread to include "oil separator problem" or something of that nature. that way users in the future can search it out easily.
thanks

Will Do!   BTW it deserved a Sticky! Z   :)