• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random Misfires 2010 NonPP SHO, Diagnosis -- No Oil in Engine

Started by FearlessAZ, January 09, 2018, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearlessAZ

Low oil light/warning came on after we pulled over and tried to restart the car. But damage was already done by then. I had no reason to believe it was low or anything because Sanderson Ford did the oil change the day before we left. I usually do the oil changes but the only reason I chose dealer for this one was so they could do the inspection and potentially flag any other issues.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

How did a possible leaky injector change into a blown motor ... wow!  Pretty sure the oil change was not done correctly.  If it was an internal engine issue lots of bells and whistles would have gone off.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

That's what I am saying. Lol. Pretty sure the two are not related. Only info I have right now is that oil is all over the undercarriage and passenger side and that it looks like oil is coming from the turbos too. They haven't been able to pin point exactly where or what caused the failure. I am just going off what the service adviser told me this morning. He is supposed to send me pictures some time today.

Right now it is a lot of back and forth between the ford dealership in Kerrville and the one here. The service adviser and tech working on my car are both leaning heavily towards something that the ford dealership did here either with the oil change or the ton of work I had about 6 months ago.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

Me too. It is basically going to come down to 2 options:

1. It was an issue caused by recent work (oil change or turbos/timing chain) and Sanderson Ford will end up covering the 2 nights of hotel, towing, car rental for the trip, courtesy vehicle or rental car for time of repair now that I am back home and to either have my car shipped back to AZ or fly me out to San Antonio.

2. It will all go through the warranty. Not sure if they will reimburse for the tow but they should cover the rental vehicle for the trip and hotel. Would still need to see where I stand with everything with them. Warranty will cover a good chunk of a new engine replacement but I would imagine the cost would be less than $1k to me. Plus some other variables.

It all depends on what the root cause of the issue is. Either way, I know the next few weeks are going to be a massive headache with all the back and forth and this and that.

FearlessAZ

StinkinLinkin13

Yeah this is looking more like a timing chain issue... Especially considering the issues you were having recently and the coolant leaking underneath the timing cover. Did they verify that there was actually no oil? The dipstick will read nothing if it's even only maybe 2 quarts low... Looks like in the pic they still have the drain plug on the pan.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

FearlessAZ

They said there was about a quart. So it wasn't COMPLETELY dry.

SHOdded

Well then fill it up and be on your way.  Quit whining.  LOL

FearlessAZ

LMAO. I wish I could. I told my wife this is why she isn't allowed to drive that car. Always has the worst luck with it.

FearlessAZ

Small Update:

They still haven't begun tear down of the motor yet. Been 2 weeks now. Said i might be torn apart by Wednesday/Thursday.

I contacted the service manager at the dealership here in town that did the work. He was able to tell me that the oil was leaking from the turbos. So they are even leaning that it has something to do with all the work they did. But until they actually find the point of failure, I am stuck here waiting. I did explain to him that the car is 1000+ miles away and that in the 2 weeks that they have had it, they have only been able to tell me it lost majority of the oil, it barely got on a lift and still waiting until sometime later this week before they can pull the motor and do the tear down. The service manager advised me to get with a service adviser at the dealership here and see if they can get me in to a loaner vehicle or to pay for a rental through Enterprise. And after explaining the amount of time this has already taken and circumstances, he told me to see if the service adviser here will get in contact with the Ford rep for that region to put some urgency to the situation or to try and help out.

He also mentioned that if it is directly related to this dealership's work, it would be covered under the consequential warranty of the service/parts. Does anyone have any info to what all entails in that warranty? I know it will cover the parts and labor but I have no idea if it would extend to the rental car and hotel I had to get because of the situation. Just trying to be realistic with it. He mentioned the service adviser would know more of the specifics of the warranty but I thought maybe someone here would know more about it.

mjhpadi

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 09, 2018, 01:10:32 PM
Im suspecting coils due to the age
This was my first thought. But mileage may have more to do with it than age. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SHOdded

Not sure if the consequential warranty will cover rental/hotel as standard, but dealership mgmt should be able to make that accommodation I would think.  Customer service and all.

FearlessAZ

But the misfire didn't jump cylinders when I swapped the coil on plugs. It came back to the same cylinder.

Really not much miles on the car compared to the standard. I think about 82K.

I believe the same thing. Not sure what the whole scope of that warranty is. I guess I will find out later today.

FearlessAZ

Another update today.

They finished the teardown and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. They are claiming that it leaked out from the intake. I call bullshit on that. 6 months with no issues, get an oil change and then run out 13 hours later. That doesn't say anything about my intake leaking to me. I would have noticed something if it was leaking that hard from the intake.

And to top it off, my extended warranty (3rd party) is denying the claim because it was due to lack of lubrication. Another bullshit in my opinion.

I called the service manager at the dealership where all my previous work was done. He even thinks that sounds like bullshit. He gave me the number for Ford Corporate to start a claim and get them involved.

As it sits right now, I am completely Effed all around. I can't pay for it all out of pocket. I plan to call the warranty company later but I know that will be a headache. After both of them, I will have to weigh my options.

*Edited by the Pottymouth Patrol