• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random Misfires 2010 NonPP SHO, Diagnosis -- No Oil in Engine

Started by FearlessAZ, January 09, 2018, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearlessAZ

Measured just about .029. Ran out of time before pulling the other plugs. I swapped the coils on 2 and 6. See if maybe it jumps. I couldn't visually see anything wrong with coil 2 but that doesn't mean much.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

ZSHO

Check the COP for any tears or rips...sometimes it's beneficial to install new COP (Coil-On-Plug) especially in high heat climates which are more susceptible to wear n tear.. some food for thought.  Z

$3.78 ea
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3422364&cc=1446498&jsn=1572

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2011,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1446498,ignition,spark+plug+/+coil-on-plug+boot,10150

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FearlessAZ

I checked it for any signs of wear. Couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. Nut there is a lot going on internally that I don't have access to see. I heard the coils tend to go around this time for the older SHOs. But it is usually one or 2. Was looking at the MSD ones about a month ago but never heard if there was any real benefit to it. But seems like a set of plugs and coils are on the list for the near future.

SHOdded

0.029 is hardly worn.  Original must have been 0.028?  And no sign of oil?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

I believe we gapped to .028  when we installed. I thought it was about .029 but current gap says otherwise. I said about .029 but its about half way between .029 and .03. I couldn't find any oil around. Boot and plug just had a little grease for the install. Plug is exactly as pictured. I tried to look down into the hole but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. And nothing struck me as out of place when I pulled the plug.

My wife has been driving it since about August. I know she isnt as "spirited" as me when she drives. So I know she hasn't done any launches or hard accelerations like I have. Hell, even when I drove it, I would only do when data logging. Once I had all the work done, I babied it so it could break in correctly.

FearlessAZ

So after those minor tweaks, I drover a good couple hundred miles yesterday. Felt smooth all over. Parked and went inside for an errand. Came out, turned on the AC at idle, Felt it get kind of rough. Another misfire cylinder 2. Starting to think it is possibly an injector issue. Was absolutely fine driving around everywhere.

SHOdded

Sure seems like it.  Since there no signs of COP failure and the plug looks ok, injector is at the head of the list now.  We have had one member document his R&R experience if you intend to DIY.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

I will probably let the dealership handle that one. Seemed pretty straight forward on the DIY. I still have a warranty and there are a couple other small issues I need addressed.

I know it isnt ideal but will probably still take the SHO on the trip. Will keep a close eye on it. but as soon as I get back, it will be going in.

What's your consensus on running a bottle of Techron or something similiar just to see if it helps a bit?

SHOdded

cant hurt.  Make sure you put in the Concentrate Plus product, not a lesser one.  If you can get BG 44K, that would be even better. 

I assume you are running E10, so a bottle of HEET (yellow bottle) might also help, but prob take a tank's worth of gas to find out.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: FearlessAZ on March 18, 2018, 01:14:58 PM
I will probably let the dealership handle that one. Seemed pretty straight forward on the DIY. I still have a warranty and there are a couple other small issues I need addressed.

I know it isnt ideal but will probably still take the SHO on the trip. Will keep a close eye on it. but as soon as I get back, it will be going in.

What's your consensus on running a bottle of Techron or something similiar just to see if it helps a bit?
I ran 3 bottles through the MKS when I got it.

Costco has 6 packs cheap.

FearlessAZ

Usually I run a bottle of the concentrate or sometimes I will run a bottle of Guaranteed To Pass. Just depends. I will do some driving and see if I can get this tank low and throw in a bottle and see how it reacts.

FoMo, good thinking! I never think costco when it comes to automotive stuff so I will have to try that out!

SHOdded

FoMoCoSHO

FearlessAZ

Well, SHO died on the trip. Broke down outside of San Antonio in Kerrville. Wife was driving and started acting funny. Then it just died. Tried to restart and nothing. Had it towed to the ford dealership in Kerrville. They said when they checked, it had no oil and the motor seized up. Had an oil change the day before we left. They have had the car for a week now and barely got it on a lift yesterday. Still don't know exactly what caused the leak or if the dealership that did the oil change is at fault. Sure hope it was their fault. Will end up needing a new motor. But hey, the rest of the trip was fun.

StinkinLinkin13

Man that sucks. What a turn of events. So you had no warning? Low oil pressure/level?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -