• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random Misfires 2010 NonPP SHO, Diagnosis -- No Oil in Engine

Started by FearlessAZ, January 09, 2018, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Yup, need to get a Ford Engineer onsite to cut through the BS.  Dealership is doing what it does best ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

They have had the car 5 weeks now. I know that oil is slow to dry but I would bet my ass that in 5 weeks, that problem is a hell of a lot harder to diagnose than at a week or so.

Even if this situation was covered 100%, I would not be happy with how the whole situation was handled. No rental/loaner during this time. The amount of time to come to that conclusion. The constant missed time frames.

Better start getting my blood pressure under control or I will need a new motor myself.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

SHOdded

FearlessAZ

To play devil's advocate here, lets say the oil did leak out of my intake. What would cause that? Is there a system that pushes some through there? Also, wouldn't there be signs before then? Possibly my misfire?

I'm just dumbfounded that something like that was the cause of all this.

Also if it helps, I pulled the codes when it died on us. P0430, P0012, P0022, P0050, and P0150. I know that is a cluster of problems but not sure if related in any way. I realized last night that they never mentioned anything about the codes. I emailed to inquire more. 

FearlessAZ

So I just got off the phone with the dealership. They are citing that it leaked from my VTA. He claimed that oil is supposed to recirculate through those tubes and mine weren't on. Basically they tore everything down and couldn't find anything so they are just assuming this is the cause.

I mentioned that a little bit of oil is OK but for the amounts we are talking about, something had to fail to allow that much oil to go through.

SHOdded

just tryin to blow oil up your a** now.  Do they understand how VTAs work???

FearlessAZ

I am not even sure if they know how a Ford works.

For shits and giggles, I asked what the quote would be for everything out of pocket....$12,374.43. f**k that! Worth more than the KBB of my car.

SHOdded

FearlessAZ

I have a buddy of mine who was a Ford tech in Vegas for 5 years (Dad is also service manager there so they both know their stuff) and he agrees that is doesn't sound right. They are citing it is the cold air charging pipe. If that is true, that is an air only pipe (with the very occasional bits of oil). So what caused the back up of oil to leak from there then? He is advising me to get the manager involved and go from there.

I would add the pictures from the emails that the dealership sent but I am at work and firewalls won't allow me to upload somewhere to host them. I can forward the emails if anybody wants to look or post sometime in the next day or so when I can get to a computer.

Also, SHOdded, not sure if you want to split this topic up. I feel like I derailed it form the original problem.

SHOdded

SHOdded

FearlessAZ

Thanks SHOdded!

Interesting enough, I was digging around some old old threads trying to find anything remotely similar. This one post from ShoBoat kind of intrigued me.

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 05, 2015, 12:03:05 PM
I have witnessed the same issue with my 13. Not as much oil consumption though. A dirty or restrictive air filter will cause the problem to get worse, also any restriction to the PCV system can also make it worse and lastly too much oil in the pan can also cause a similar situation (over fill). I took mine in when I had a similar issue and the dealer said it was normal (I had 45K KM on mine at the time). I am still not sure what is normal, all I know is that it can accumulate in the CAC, and if you get on it on the expressway it will suck all that out of the CAC and into the intake. Risking vapour lock or just a shudder (which will be logged by the car as several misfires). Again this happened to me in the past (the shudder). A turbo upgrade and meth are my next mods to my ride, the OEM turbos can be a PITA when it comes to this issue, the dealers and Ford are not willing to do anything about it unless its really bad. With the stock tune it is difficult to replicate these conditions as it doesn't suck/blow as hard as good 93 tune. I know that the F150's have had similar issues with both water and oil in the CAC causing a shudder at WOT in higher gears (easier to replicate different turbos/cac) I would keep an eye on the level in the CAC as mentioned by SHOdded.   

Entire thread can be read here https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4511.0.html

SHOdded

Still points to a dealer issue.  It takes time for for a dirty air filter to cause a bigger problem, unless of course you drove it in the Outback or something and clogged it up FAST.  Overfilling - dealer issue.  Underfilling - dealer issue.  And these guys are well known for leaving parts not properly connected after servicing.  It's like you have to audit their work before you accept your car back.