• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Surging - Bad fuel injector?

Started by SHO9987, February 08, 2019, 07:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawk

Put forscan  on it the last couple days, there are misfires incrementing overtime as I drive it but don't seem to increase while the shuddering is happening.  Like 9 total for a 45 minutes drive.  The other thing I noticing it while going 35-55 or so I seem the actual converter slippage toggling between 1 and 100 or so while I am feeling the shuddering.   The desired converter slippage is like 20 or below while it is doing this.

At highway speeds the desired and actual convertor slippage is 0 or 1.

I guess I will put new stock gapped plugs in and see whats happens. 

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO9987

Quote from: Blackhawk on February 26, 2019, 11:30:57 AM
Any update how it is driving ?  I am getting the shuddering as well and was ready to bring it to the dealer for warranty.  Now I am thinking about putting the stock plugs back in before I bring it in.  Not sure if they would give me crap about having tightly gapped colder plugs.

I actually do have an update.  90% of the problem was my throttle body.  One possibility was that I likely messed with the positioning screw on the top of it sometime in the past (I don't really remember).  Another possibility was the water/meth, I have sprayed w/m daily for the last 40k miles on this car and have heard that it can sometimes get into the TB housing.  Regardless, I replaced with a new TB and saw a significant improvement in symptoms. 

The surging although much better, was still there.  AJP made quite a few adjustments to the tune, I'm sure he can chime in with all that was adjusted.  I think he allowed a little more slip in the torque converter and adjusted shift points to keep the car out of the troubled surging areas.  After that the car has been running great ever since. 

Even though the transmission fluid is clear/pink and it was blessed off by the transmission shop... I still think it is just a matter of time until the torque converter goes.  The car has almost 100k miles, the last 40k being pretty hard miles.
2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

Blackhawk

A quick update for me. put the stock plugs in but still had the shuddering and misfires slowly incrementing.   Brought it to the dealer and they spent 3 weeks chasing the misfire counter by replacing plugs/3 new coils and finally escalated to corporate.  Corp had them run some extra tests and they determined it was the torque converter (which I had suggested when I dropped off).  The shudder went away once it was replaced.  Driving the new loaner vehicles gave me the new car bug and I traded my 2011 SHO in on a 2017 MKZ 3.0t AWD on Saturday.  Loving it so far, just need to spend some time researching what I want to mod :)

Stopped at the drag strip 45 mins after leaving the dealer, only got one pass in, 13.7@102.  I'm guessing a full tank of 87 octane and 41 PSI in the tires didn't help.  Hoping for low 13's stock with some good 93 and playing with tire  pressure.

SHOdded

Torque converter shudder gone, time slip shudder ...

Glad the dealer and Ford were able to resolve, enjoy!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

Quote from: Blackhawk on May 06, 2019, 04:50:50 PM
A quick update for me. put the stock plugs in but still had the shuddering and misfires slowly incrementing.   Brought it to the dealer and they spent 3 weeks chasing the misfire counter by replacing plugs/3 new coils and finally escalated to corporate.  Corp had them run some extra tests and they determined it was the torque converter (which I had suggested when I dropped off).  The shudder went away once it was replaced.  Driving the new loaner vehicles gave me the new car bug and I traded my 2011 SHO in on a 2017 MKZ 3.0t AWD on Saturday.  Loving it so far, just need to spend some time researching what I want to mod :)

Stopped at the drag strip 45 mins after leaving the dealer, only got one pass in, 13.7@102.  I'm guessing a full tank of 87 octane and 41 PSI in the tires didn't help.  Hoping for low 13's stock with some good 93 and playing with tire  pressure.

Nice!

wish Ford had put at least an 8spd transmission in the MKZ and Conti by 2017.
MKS-EB...

Blackhawk

They stuck one in the new Edge ST, disappointed as well that they didn't throw it in on the 3.0 Lincolns.  It was definitely one of the negatives when evaluating my decisions.

Quote from: MeanKS on May 07, 2019, 01:21:14 AM
Quote from: Blackhawk on May 06, 2019, 04:50:50 PM

Nice!

wish Ford had put at least an 8spd transmission in the MKZ and Conti by 2017.