• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random Misfires 2010 NonPP SHO, Diagnosis -- No Oil in Engine

Started by FearlessAZ, January 09, 2018, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearlessAZ

Been trying to track down the cause of random misfires lately. Just after Thanksgiving, got a random misfire on cylinder 5 while driving back from Tucson. Cleared it and haven't thought much of it. Figured it was cause the wife put in 87 instead of 91. Just a couple days ago got another random misfire but on cylinder 2. Went to clear it and noticed a p0300 code as well. Spark plugs are still fairly new. Maybe 12K-15K at most. I will dig in to it more later when I have some free time. Just scratching my head on it.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Plugs and injectors are the usual culprits, sometime leaky VC gaskets.  Interesting it showed on 2 & 5, as they fire sequentially.  Waste spark is not used in this ignition system, so ...  Poor fuel/insufficient octane can also be culprits, as you have noted.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on January 09, 2018, 11:54:24 AM
Plugs and injectors are the usual culprits, sometime leaky VC gaskets.  Interesting it showed on 2 & 5, as they fire sequentially.  Waste spark is not used in this ignition system, so ...  Poor fuel/insufficient octane can also be culprits, as you have noted.
Manu maybe "troubleshooting section" perhaps for better traction! Thanks!  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FearlessAZ

She knows that I stress 91 only and nothing less. And she knows I made a deal out of it the one time I found out. It is entirely possible she did it again and did not tell me.

That is good to know because they are both next to eachother. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Quote from: Macgyver on January 09, 2018, 12:55:25 PM
Were they all gapped the same ?

Yes. All were gapped at about .029. When I have time, I will go through and recheck the gap and double check the plugs.

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 09, 2018, 01:10:32 PM
Im suspecting coils due to the age

That is very possible too. I know They are still the factory coils. I can check them out when I check the plugs. Any things to look for specifically? I know I am overdue for a data log now that all the new parts have had time to settle and be broken in. Would that possibly show an injector or 2 starting to go out?

FearlessAZ

Quote from: ZSHO on January 09, 2018, 04:17:50 PM
Manu maybe "troubleshooting section" perhaps for better traction! Thanks!  Z  :)

Thank you. Was going to start one and just been super busy lately. Didn't mean for that post to go for more than a response. Lol

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jimmyducati

I had the same problem although just cylinder #6. Try swapping both coils with two known good cylinders and seeing if the problem follows. If not, the injectors are not to terribly expensive and are actually rather easy to R&R. As a bonus, you'll get to scope your intake valves pretty easily and see their condition!
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

FearlessAZ

It has been driven a lot less lately. But I need to get it ready for a road trip in about a week. I have cleared the code a couple times. Seems it is just misfire for cylinder 2 now. I will try to get into it tomorrow. Gonna flash back to stock for the time being just in case it needs to make a quick dealership trip.

SHOdded

FearlessAZ

Cylinder 2 in the one on the rear in the middle, correct? Figured I would start at the problem. When I looked at my notes last night, Seems like I have about 15K miles on the plugs. Doesn't seem like too much to me.

ZSHO

Quote from: FearlessAZ on March 15, 2018, 02:48:45 PM
Cylinder 2 in the one on the rear in the middle, correct? Figured I would start at the problem. When I looked at my notes last night, Seems like I have about 15K miles on the plugs. Doesn't seem like too much to me.
Correct! Rear middle cylinder. Z

1       2        3

4       5        6

Front bank of engine

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Well, Livernois has stated 15K as plug change intervals, so you are right at that boundary :)

FearlessAZ

SHOdded

Part lean, part rich electrode?  No buildup though.  what is the measured gap?  consistent with the other plugs on that bank?