• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Are high performance SUV tires OK?

Started by MeanKS, February 22, 2018, 06:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

Nexen N'Fera RU5 Radial Tire - 255/45R20 105V

have generally high reviews and are very affordable.

they are recommended for SUVs, but i see no reason why we couldn't use them for our cars.

Thoughts?
MKS-EB...

ZSHO

I think you should be fine besides the load difference IMO!
Best of luck MeanKS and keep us updated.  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Not familiar with those specific tires but FWIW i run 255/45/20's on mine so they should be fine.
winter tires are 255/50/19 which are totally suv tires and the exact same diameter as my 20's.
double check the load rating is equal or greater than your vehicle weight but i would bet it is.
i kind of consider the SHO/MKS to be a really low suv anyway lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MeanKS

yea i agree, our cars basically are low, higher performance SUVs.

which i really like BTW, once you get used to riding a certain height; getting in much lower sedans feels weird.

the load rating for those are higher than my current Yokohamas.

the speed rating is V vs W though (149 mph vs 168 mph)...
MKS-EB...

djxfactor

I ran the N'Feras in the stock size 255/45/20 when I first got my Flex and they were great. I switched over to the General G-Max AS03's in the 255/45/20 and regret it terribly.  The Nexen's were quieter, hooked way better at the track, and handled great overall.  I just bought new wheels (again) and am switching back to the N'Fera's next week, but am going with 275/40/20's this time around. I have no problem recommending them!
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

glock-coma

Quote from: djxfactor on February 23, 2018, 08:26:59 AM
I ran the N'Feras in the stock size 255/45/20 when I first got my Flex and they were great. I switched over to the General G-Max AS03's in the 255/45/20 and regret it terribly.  The Nexen's were quieter, hooked way better at the track, and handled great overall.  I just bought new wheels (again) and am switching back to the N'Fera's next week, but am going with 275/40/20's this time around. I have no problem recommending them!
I'm really surprised you don't like the gmax's. I've been rolling them in the same size for about 2 years and they've been fantastic in all of northeast Ohio's 15 seasons each year lol.

I was coming from the Michelin mxm4 so that could be why I like them so much more.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

djxfactor

Quote from: glock-coma on February 23, 2018, 11:50:19 AM
Quote from: djxfactor on February 23, 2018, 08:26:59 AM
I'm really surprised you don't like the gmax's. I've been rolling them in the same size for about 2 years and they've been fantastic in all of northeast Ohio's 15 seasons each year lol.

I was coming from the Michelin mxm4 so that could be why I like them so much more.

My absolute chief complaint about them is the noise. The grip is pretty decent on twistys, but hooking at the track isn't as good as my Nexens were. Ride got a bit rougher with them too when it comes to feeling every bump, crack, and ridge on the roads. But the road noise, omg the noise.
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

Colorado-SHOBro

i also run the gmax tires in the same size and have been really pleased with them. noise is more than my crap oem goodyear highway tires but the gmax hook well for me, handle the turns well and are a great affordable option IMO.
also, it should be noted the gmax 03 are discontinued and the updated gmax as-05 replaced them. i actually am running a pair of the 03 in rear and the 05 in front(had a nail in the 03's and replaced with the 05's) and even replacing 2 tires reduced road noise considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

I was unable to hook with the gmax's at the track so the PB in the SHO was with a 1500ish rpm launch. Didn't matter where pressures were.

At times The Gmax's also feltd like they were flat spotted till they got warm.

Kinda disappointed as I had the original General UHP and those were absolutely amazing except they wore atrociously. They warranted the worn out 1st set at 10k and the replacement set lasted 12k. That was on a 1st gen focus ST that might have had 170 HP

I think my current $400.00 Uniroyals are a better tire and they trounce the G-max in the snow.

They are so good I never once considered putting on my winters wheels and blizzaks this year.

MeanKS

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 23, 2018, 11:49:42 PM
I was unable to hook with the gmax's at the track so the PB in the SHO was with a 1500ish rpm launch. Didn't matter where pressures were.

Kinda disappointed as I had the original General UHP and those were absolutely amazing except they wore atrociously. They warranted the worn out 1st set at 10k and the replacement set lasted 12k. That was on a 1st gen focus ST that might have had 170 HP

I think my current $400.00 Uniroyals are a better tire and they trounce the G-max in the snow.

They are so good I never once considered putting on my winters wheels and blizzaks this year.

$400 a piece Uniroyals????

or overall?
MKS-EB...

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: MeanKS on February 24, 2018, 03:45:30 AM

or overall?
Total, they were on clearance.

dubcitySHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 24, 2018, 10:39:25 AM

or overall?

GTZ's?
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: dubcitySHO on February 24, 2018, 01:44:17 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 24, 2018, 10:39:25 AM

or overall?

GTZ's?
Yup

dubcitySHO

2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....