• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

CR Performance Billet Compressor wheels

Started by ddlopes, December 30, 2017, 06:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingsped

J-Will

Quote from: Kingsped on January 05, 2018, 09:18:29 AM
I recommend the BILLET wheels for sure.
How can you recommend them without any proof they are better? I can stipulate that the noise is not caused by the new wheels. But I didn't even see any flow bench results or any data from the manufacturer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Kingsped

I dont know either.
Thats why im asking.
I tought this is what this forum was for sharing information and experience.
I only recomed them based on my personal experience.
Eventually i will figure out what the noise is.
The manufacturer of said parts is on vacation but is going to send me all data anout them.
I know the company has nothing but good feed back just nothing about these particular ones.
I came on hear to ask questions and opinions.
So thanks for you opinion.
By the way
My shafts were pretty wasted  im sure its causing some kind of issue.
When i get it figured out ill updated and bring all the data and dyno logs you want if thats ok with you.

SHOdded

Let's see what the future holds ...  We are all curious about this alternative for the turbos, just a healthy dose of skepticism, as we have seen such things come & go.  Hard data helps level the playing field at decision time, and that is what we strive for on this forum.  So def don't take questions personally, they are not intended to be :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ddlopes

Well there's been a few guys on this forum that have seen very good performance gains with upgraded compressor wheels. So it's been proven with dyno results that upgrade compressor wheels will provide additional performance. After looking at CR Performance reviews which are 100% positive and reading their post on a different ecoboost forum for the F150 they may be the really deal. Only time will tell...
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

Kingsped

Speaking about the F150's
They have options of changing turbine shafts/WHEELS.
Does anybody know if we could do the same .
I guess technically we can do what ever we want.
I have found some with the same size shaft but the inducer and exducer are different .
I am new this turbo stuff .
What will it do if i have a little bit higher inducer and exducer size?
And less blades.
Im not realy taking it personal but i see it all the time someone ask a question and they get attitude in return.
People get bashed for just having an opinion of there own.

I am no expert and never said I was..
Im just trying to learn .
Plus im more than willing to experiment with my car to try and come up with other options for people like me who have a s*** ton of kids in college and have to pay for their education  instead of paying $2500 for upgraded Turbos when if there were more options for us we could do the same basic thing for hundres .

ZSHO

Quote from: Kingsped on January 06, 2018, 09:18:27 PM
Speaking about the F150's
They have options of changing turbine shafts/WHEELS.
Does anybody know if we could do the same .
I guess technically we can do what ever we want.
I have found some with the same size shaft but the inducer and exducer are different .
I am new this turbo stuff .
What will it do if i have a little bit higher inducer and exducer size?
And less blades.
Im not realy taking it personal but i see it all the time someone ask a question and they get attitude in return.
People get bashed for just having an opinion of there own.

I am no expert and never said I was..
Im just trying to learn .
Plus im more than willing to experiment with my car to try and come up with other options for people like me who have a s*** ton of kids in college and have to pay for their education  instead of paying $2500 for upgraded Turbos when if there were more options for us we could do the same basic thing for hundres .
NO sore point my friend! 
Its only a public Forum with open view's and opinions in respect to the OP!  TIA.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

timbo

Going to bigger wheels will do 2 things: 1. require machining of the housing to fit the new wheels.  You want the tolerance between the blades and the housing pretty close to minimize the flow of gases going around and not pushing (or being pushed by) the blades.  2. It will theoretically slow down the spool.  These turbos (Garret GT15) are tiny, so turbo lag is minimal (~1500 is when my torque kicks in on a stage 3 tune).

The advantage of the billet wheels is the extended tips so it's able to get a bigger grab of air.  This really just allows a more stable pressure throughout the RPM range.  It's able to feed the higher boost levels on the tuned vehicles all the way up to redline.  The stock ones are unable and begin to lose pressure.  It's actually pretty noticeable on my car above 5k RPM and I've played around with the shift points due to that fact.  When the turbos need a rebuild, I plan to purchase the previously mentioned kit.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

Macgyver

Quote from: Kingsped on January 06, 2018, 09:18:27 PMI'm not really taking it personal but i see it all the time someone ask a question and they get attitude in return. People get bashed for just having an opinion of there own.

You dont say.......

Kingsped

I see it all the time especially on the other ford flex forum.
But on this one as well.
As well as any FORUM about anything.

I JOINED THIS FORUM BECAUSE I LOVE MY ECOBOOST RIDES
I HAVE A SHO AND A FLEX.
I LOVE WORKING ON ANYTHING WITH A MOTOR
FORM CARS AND TRUCKS TO BIKE SNOWMOBILES AND EVEN LAWNMOWERS.

ALL I HOPE TO DO IS LEARN AND GAIN KNOWLEDGE ABOUT MY CARS.
ALL THIS TURBO STUFF IS NEW TO ME.
EVEN MY YAMAHA VIPER IS A TURBO.
I JUST HOPE TO NOT GET BASHED BECAUSE MY OPINIONS . ESPECIALLY FOR ONE THAT WAS SO OBVIOUS .
A MONKEY WOULD  HAVE REALIZED THE POSITIVE GAIN IN PERFOMANCE FROM THE BILLET WHEELS.
I  just found out that my shafts were pretty bad .
The turbine piston ring seal was basically welded in the groove of the shaft  it almost could not even be removed to put the new one in.
I think it tweaked out the shaft or shafts

SHOdded

At least getting closer to the source of issues, if not THE issue!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Kingsped

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Im going to buy used shafts i found local
Hopfuly they check out.
If that dont work out I'm most likely going to buy some used Turbos from a local salvage yard for $175 each put them on for now and work on doing my own UPGRADE .
I have a cousin that claims he can machine my HOUSING to accept larger turbine and compressor wheels for basically free. (A lill beer and 4:20)
He has worked at a machine shop for 15 years but has neve done Turbos. He claims his boy has and will help to.
If that works i can have a similar upgrade to other well  know ones in existence for a fraction of the cost.
Although im sure im still missing something with tjat also.

If anybody has junk Turbos let me know i may want to buy em i

B. Rock

Bump, what ever happened here?

Also, was this with a custom tune or stock?

Looking at replacing the oil seal in one of my turbos, and this wouldn't add much to the project.

Cheers
'13 SHO
'09 A6 Avant
'96 FZJ80

Kingsped

Its all good now.
The oils seals we're basicly welded in its groove.
I bought used turbos and just did the rebuild myself minus the balancing..
I paid only $40.00 for the rebalancing and they did it as a whole not just the shaft and wheels ..
The balancing was a epic deal.
At first no tune and car ran great def a difference but no data to back it up.
If you know your car you will just know from the very first time you gas it..
Now a 93 tune catless down pipes, meth injection.

This car moves almost to good for the crap Michigan roads I drive on daily spend more time trying to go slow instead of faster now..

You absolutely must get them balanced they will index the turbine and billet wheels .
Just line it all up ehen you put ot back together..

Also make darn sure you prime your turbos after the rebuild & before you start your car.
MAybe use some molly assembly lube or something..
I did the first rebuild and gad a awful noise and it wound up being my turbine shaft so I bought 2 used turbos off eBay just to get the turbine shafts.. (I got a great deal)
The second time I took them back out and rebuild them it only took me about an hour and 15 minutes to remove both Turbo then about another hour to reinstall after the rebuild I had them balanced both times it is very important to make sure they're balanced primed and use some type of assembly Lube during your rebuild keep everything spotlessly clean not a single Speck of dust

B. Rock

Right on, thanks for the follow up.  I'm leaning toward getting the CHRA assemblies from ecopowerparts since I'm only 50% confident in my rebuild skills, and if it means I don't have to pull the turbos twice - that's worth it. Especially if they come already balanced.
'13 SHO
'09 A6 Avant
'96 FZJ80