• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gearhead Tune and Impressions

Started by J-Will, December 30, 2017, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Will

For black Friday, I picked up a Gearhead Automotive Performance tune; SCT x4 and GH gapped plugs.  I also got a 3 bar from Rock Auto. 

12/18- My plan was to install all at the same time, however several weeks later and I just could not be patient anymore.  So in about 30min I had everything but the plugs done.  A few road trips later and my impressions are this: not much noticeable difference.  First and second gear appear to be more aggressive, firmer shifts, and even though I question it myself- the exhaust note sounds better. 
Up until the tune, OAR had been -1.0000 for over year (93 plus ACES IV).  Since the tune, its slowly crept up, and is currently sitting at -0.3828.  Most of the drives shows timing at +40, but there are times when its retarded a few degrees.  I think both of these are due to using stock plugs, but could also be changes caused by the tune's usage of OAR (GH specifies that they improve the auto octane adjustment feature, but I dont know much more detail). 

12/30- I have changed the plugs and scoped each cylinder.  I'll keep using the torque app to see if there is any improvement.  Using this cylinder order, all of the plugs and tops of the pistons looked good.  I could see the 'thumb print' in great detail on every piston. Car has 37,6xx miles

Firewall
1  2  3
4  5  6
Bumper

#2 I could actually see a QR code and other (model number or something) markings. 
#1 and #3 were the 'worst'.  Those two have slight amounts of carbon build up, mostly in the center indentation around the 'thumb print'.
4-6 were almost as clean as 2, though the position of the pistons prevented me from seeing any markings.  Tops of pistons looked good.

I did notice I have what appears to be leaking around the HPFP.  Is this normal, and easy to fix.  This concerns me some, but I hope its an easy fix using a seal or gasket.

Hopefully this fixes any timing retard.  I'm less concerned with OAR at this point, though since its increased after so long with it glued to the max value, I'd simply like to know what is causing the increase.  A part of me also thinks that because of the increase is OAR value, I'm leaving performance on the table... and I dont want to do that :)

I'm also lining up a dyno session to see if I get numbers that mimic GH's advertised 335hp/415tq.  I really hope I reach those numbers and my general impression of "not much noticeable difference" would be very welcomed as in my mind that would mean the tune has kept the stock drive-ability but actually added performance. As far as cylinders 1 and 3 go, I guess my options are: catch can; meth; or BG/ walnut blasting.  I'll give it some time and take a look at the intake manifold before I make a final determination, since these are just barely showing signs of build up.  My foremost concern is the gunk around the HPFP, and fixing any potential leak.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

Priority is finding the source of the leak!! Pic's please of the HPFP area in question!!
Fuel smell of any kind? 
Did you happen to check for any codes set? 

Here's a dedicated Install Video on the HPFP!  Z

http://youtu.be/eqnewM691Fs

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The only issue I have seen mentioned is the brazing slag in the fuel line causing clogging at the HPFP.  Since you see a leak, I am sure there is a gasket AND an O-ring you could swap out, similar to what is available for the F150.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look at the HPFP and report back.

Are cylinders 1 and 3 typically the problem ones for carbon build up? Or is it more sporadic and just happens to be those two in my case. Again, they aren't bad, just comparatively to the other 4 are the ones showing signs of build up.

I am also in discussions with a local shop for some Dyno pulls. It's just coming down to scheduling.  I know there is a file Torrie sends for data logging, but I'm not tuned by him. I can use X4 or Torque, but what parameters should I look to capture during the pulls?

Overall I'm satisfied with the car at 37k. And if the tune puts out what it's supposed to I'll be really happy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

Quote from: J-Will on December 31, 2017, 09:01:25 AM

I am also in discussions with a local shop for some Dyno pulls. It's just coming down to scheduling.  I know there is a file Torrie sends for data logging, but I'm not tuned by him. I can use X4 or Torque, but what parameters should I look to capture during the pulls?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pm me your email..I think I may have it but not sure. I can email you the config that I generally use. It depends on what you want to see..But here is a list:

Measured AFR bank 1
Measured AFR bank 2 if applicable
Lambse bank 1
Lambse bank 2 if applicable
IAT2-intake air temp2 in farenheit
CAC intercooler temp
MAP in kpa
Desired TIP
Throttle angle actual
Spark V2 in degrees
Torque source
Turbo Wastegate percentage
Vehicle speed
RPM
Ambient temp in F
MAP sensor voltage
Coolant cylinder head temp in F
STFT bank 1
STFT bank 2 if applicable
Gear commanded
Fuel rail pressure psi
Fuel rear pressure
Load
Load absolute
Knock sensor
Gear commanded
Fuel rail pressure OBD PID in PSI
frp mpa dsd
Octane Adjust Ratio
LTFT bank 1
Torque converter speed ratio
OSS-output shaft speed
total misfires
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

I think you will put down the advertised power numbers. Sometimes when a tune is super smooth it makes it feel less aggressive but do you really want to go fast or just feel like you are going fast?

What plugs did you end up installing?

I wouldn't worry about the changing OAR...It's all in the name of safety.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

J-Will

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 31, 2017, 10:45:05 AM
I think you will put down the advertised power numbers. Sometimes when a tune is super smooth it makes it feel less aggressive but do you really want to go fast or just feel like you are going fast?

What plugs did you end up installing?

I wouldn't worry about the changing OAR...It's all in the name of safety.

PM sent, and thank you.

I agree with this reply wholeheartedly and is exactly what I'm shooting for with the tune.  I also hope that came across in my initial post.  Plugs are SP-542 (CYFS-092-YPT), bought pre-gapped from GH. 
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

Also I wouldn't get overly caught up with OAR....If the tune was stock then ideally you want it to be at -1
But on a tune OAR can be manipulated many different ways...Some tuners may use it and some may not make adjustments...And when I say manipulate it I don't meant cheat it or force it to read a certain way...

I could over advance the spark and make the OAR read 0 because the ECU dialed back the spark curve because I over advanced the tables but in the end you are producing the same spark levels as another person that has an OAR value of -1 but we are conditioned to think that -1 is better...It's all about what is going on in the tune

To me the OAR value is more like a Long term fuel trim but for spark...It represents the trend in what is going on with spark and Learned fuel octane.

And the Octane adjust learned values can be sped up for sensitivity, but I won't speculate as to what exactly is going on in your tune...But Gearhead makes great tunes with great detail so you are in good hands.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

J-Will

Filled up the the tank yesterday (93) and didnt have ACES with me.  OAR dropped to -0.27

ACES has since been added, and I will continue to monitor but expect OAR to go back up.  Needless to say, I'm a fan of ACES.

Still looking to get some dyno pulls and logs
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

J-Will

I made it down to Fredericksburg yesterday to put the SHO on a Dynocom DC 7500.  She made 317 hp /340 tq.  I am satisfied with the numbers as long as the logs indicate the car's running well, though I will mention that 340 falls pretty far from the GH advertised 415

I attached logs and the combined graph. 
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

There are many factors that could've played into your numbers. But I have no doubt that the logs will indicate that your car is running well and healthy

You are in good hands and I know you have a safe and more complete tune than many others that run some other brand of tunes and I'm not talking about LMS.

Do you race? Maybe one day you can see what it will do at the track

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Was this a Dynojet?  An AWD machine?  If not the numbers, oft quoted based on Dynojets, could easily be understated.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: J-Will on January 11, 2018, 06:27:09 PM
I made it down to Fredericksburg yesterday to put the SHO on a Dynocom DC 7500.  She made 317 hp /340 tq.  I am satisfied with the numbers as long as the logs indicate the car's running well, though I will mention that 340 falls pretty far from the GH advertised 415

I attached logs and the combined graph.
Pull 2 looks like the very end of a pull...

J-Will

Just got off the phone with Matt, we had a great conversation.  He's not happy with the power, and says its just a little over stock.  OAR is indicating crappy gas, and the car is responding as it should to keep everything at a safe level.  His tune makes OAR a little more sensitive versus the stock usage of OAR.  I'm definitely leaving power on the table, but am limited by gas.  I believe this is the switch to winter gas.  There is the possibility that the gas station ripped me off, but I cant worry about that now.

After our conversation, I like this tune even more.  Which is difficult to say, when the car is effectively at stock power levels.  While offered, I do not think I'm going to take Matt up on making adjustments to the tune for the purposes of increased power.  The goal here is to keep the car within safe ranges, and I like that the tune is pulling timing and lowering boost to keep it safe automatically.  Cant wait for it to automatically add timing and boost :)

For now, I have no choice but to ride out the winter gas here in the area.  I'm going to play with some gas over the next few weeks and see if the OAR continues to go lower.  I am going to report back to Matt just to make sure that the car is doing what is intended.  If the 93 I put in it is acting like 88 (or whatever octane brings the OAR to the level its at right now), then what would 89 or even worse 87 do?  That said, when I see OAR return to a more acceptable level I will throw the SHO back on the dyno (tell me you didnt read that like this: thr-OH the S.H.-OH back on the dyn-OH). 
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

lamrith

Quote from: J-Will on January 12, 2018, 10:19:51 AM
Just got off the phone with Matt, we had a great conversation.  He's not happy with the power, and says its just a little over stock.  OAR is indicating crappy gas, and the car is responding as it should to keep everything at a safe level.  His tune makes OAR a little more sensitive versus the stock usage of OAR.  I'm definitely leaving power on the table, but am limited by gas.  I believe this is the switch to winter gas.  There is the possibility that the gas station ripped me off, but I cant worry about that now.

After our conversation, I like this tune even more.  Which is difficult to say, when the car is effectively at stock power levels.  While offered, I do not think I'm going to take Matt up on making adjustments to the tune for the purposes of increased power.  The goal here is to keep the car within safe ranges, and I like that the tune is pulling timing and lowering boost to keep it safe automatically.  Cant wait for it to automatically add timing and boost :)

For now, I have no choice but to ride out the winter gas here in the area.  I'm going to play with some gas over the next few weeks and see if the OAR continues to go lower.  I am going to report back to Matt just to make sure that the car is doing what is intended.  If the 93 I put in it is acting like 88 (or whatever octane brings the OAR to the level its at right now), then what would 89 or even worse 87 do?  That said, when I see OAR return to a more acceptable level I will throw the SHO back on the dyno (tell me you didnt read that like this: thr-OH the S.H.-OH back on the dyn-OH).
J-Will,
Great to hear you are getting good response and service from your tuner.  That is really the core of any Tuner/client relationship above and beyond the quality of the tune.  Matt and Brad are just those sort of guys.

I fully understand not wanting to push it with winter gas.  Maybe touch base with Matt and see if he would be willing to adjust some once the fuel gets better come springtime, since he and you know that the tune is not where he expected due to fuel right now.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.