• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New struts. PP or Non PP?

Started by kinder, December 29, 2017, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinder

Hello all,

So I am going to be putting some H&R's (got them used but they look new) on my 13' SHO w. PP.

The rear shocks/struts are leaking so I plan to replace them and since I'm doing the job anyways figure I'll replace the fronts as well.

Research has shown me that the SHO w. PP uses the same parts as the Police Interceptor. (PP stands for Police Package it seems) so here's the dilemma...

Do I replace with OEM? Go Monroe (the only manufacture with a dedicated replacement) or do I ditch the PP set up and go with a KYB (which is labeled for non PP) set up?

I like the tautness of my current stock PP except when hitting a corner hard. As a daily though I do not find the ride harsh at all.

Heard that it will get a bit taunter with the H&R's which is fine but I am a bit concerned that the Monroe's will be too stiff (presuming they are noticeably stiffer than the OEM.) Not interested in feeling every little crack unless I'm pushing it on a track.

The KYB's I heard are a bit stiffer than stock w/o PP but are they as stiff as the OEM w. PP set up?

Price point the non OEM stuff is significantly cheaper ($300) but I'd rather not end up softer or rock hard and not be happy.

Suggestions?

PS. The reason I'm not going to a Megan/ BC Race setup is 1) I already have the H&R's, 2) They seems to require cutting of the wheel well to access controls and 3) My past experience with them on my Subaru was less than stellar for a daily driver. Great for track days though.

Thanks for the input gang.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

ZSHO

Welcome back Kinder! What happened to the 10 SHO? 
I would stick with the OEM Motorcrafts along with new Strut mounts for a peace of mind! 
I would avoid the KYB Struts/Shocks @ all costs especially if you're adding the H&R Springs to the mix . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

kinder

Thanks.

I've been reading a 50/50 split on the KYB's of other cars but not alot of references on ours.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

pmezo33

I'd just go oem motorcraft only because they last forever. I got like 125k miles out of the stock ones. 

I have the KYB gas shocks on my jeep grand cherokee all around and they're nice.  Very smooth and comfortable ride.  No complaints at all with them, but i'm not expecting them to go over 100k miles either. 

Oh and replace the strut mounts while you're at it.  Might as well.

SHOdded

KYBs have a lifetime warranty, no?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

kinder

Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

pmezo33

avidmotion

If you have the PP stay with the MC PP struts, I may go with the Police HD Shocks .......
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

kinder

Hi gang,

So I decided not to try the Monroes out. Going to stay OEM.

Rock Auto is the cheapest place I have found so far including shipping to Canada.

Struts are about 40% cheaper including shipping and the shocks are around 60%.

Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

kinder

Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

ZSHO

Quote from: kinder on January 02, 2018, 04:09:32 PM
Thanks Z,

But I think you have the part numbers mixed up. The x/y ones are the PP equip'd ones. Painted Calipers = PP.

https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-strut-dg1z18124y/?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9c3VzcGVuc2lvbi1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9Sk4xMDM1NjUmcj0zJmE9Zm9yZCZvPXRhdXJ1cyZ5PTIwMTMmdD1zaG8mZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D
Did you verify the correct part numbers with www.fordparts.com specifically based on your vin number?
I verified the correct PP-SHO Part numbers on the above thread provided!  Z

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?v=1fahp2kt5dg183206#Search

Front LH -MOTORCRAFT AST12321 Struts DG1Z18124U                               
Front RH- MOTORCRAFT AST12323 Struts DG1Z18124W

kinder

www.fordparts.com doesn't give full part numbers but www.oemfordpart.com does. And using my VIN and manual search show the same. X/Y designations are for SHO w Pkg 1 (also known as painted calipers) while U/W designations are for SHO's without Pkg 1.

https://www.oemfordpart.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/struts-and-components-scat

Quote from: ZSHO on January 02, 2018, 04:21:17 PM
Quote from: kinder on January 02, 2018, 04:09:32 PM
Thanks Z,

But I think you have the part numbers mixed up. The x/y ones are the PP equip'd ones. Painted Calipers = PP.

https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-strut-dg1z18124y/?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9c3VzcGVuc2lvbi1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9Sk4xMDM1NjUmcj0zJmE9Zm9yZCZvPXRhdXJ1cyZ5PTIwMTMmdD1zaG8mZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D
Did you verify the correct part numbers with www.fordparts.com specifically based on your vin number?
I verified the correct PP-SHO Part numbers on the above thread provided!  Z
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator