• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Still getting check engine light with Torrie tune

Started by Katnexp, December 29, 2017, 02:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katnexp

I recently installed plugs, 170* thermostat, catch can, MDesign intake, LMS down pipes with cats, and Borla Stype. I installed The 93 performance tune with the BDX tuner but the engine light comes back on after a day or so. I believe it's a P0420 and P0430 code "catalyst system below threahold Bank 1 and Bank 2. Has anyone else experienced this issue? When I reached out to Torrie he simply said "I have read there are ways to handle that manually." I'm not sure what that means or how it can be fixed. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.
2014 Explorer Sport. NGK plugs, 170 degree thermostat, 3 bar, MDesign intake, EPP Hot Pipes, TiAL bov, Livernois catted DPs, 3rd cat delete, Borla S-Type with Magnaflow X resonator, Unleashed 93 tune, AJPTurbo tune, H&R springs, TRS Morimoto hid and led fog kit

ZSHO

Welcome Katnexp !  Its unfortunately your Lms DP which are for "off-road use only" that produce the codes for catalyst under-efficiency on (both banks)!
I believe Torrie does not eliminate the rear 02 sensors IIRC! 
Do you still have the original DP ?

Due setup an intro with your current vehicle and all! TIA.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

hawkeye93

Torrie used to disable the O2 codes in his tunes (they are disabled in mine).  But he, like several other tuners, succumbed to SCT's threats, and he will no longer disable the O2 sensor codes.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

SHOdded

Depending on mileage and care taken during install of the downpipes, might be worth checking/replacing the O2's anyway.  But most likely, as said above.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

It's unfortunate because I think there are some misleading sales people and the Catted downpipes are not cheap but the reality is plain and simple.

If the Catted pipes are higher flowing and offer more power then they are LESS efficient as a catalyst meaning you are more likely to get catalyst inefficiency codes.

The fact is that most of the Catted pipes on the market on just on the verge of the threshold limits for determining catalyst efficiency in the ECU...If the pipes were slightly more higher flowing then they may become just slightly less efficient as a catalyst and trigger codes.

I would never buy Catted downpipes expecting them to pass I/M monitors for emissions even if others have...And there really are no ways to cheat the readings via 02 bung extentions or "mini cats" built into the 02 extentions....The logic for measuring cat efficiency is very robust and sophisticated and it's not meant to be hard to cheat but that was a byproduct of the logic required to have a sensitive system in a pollution aware society.

Also there have never been any "threats" from SCT to tuning companies...They could simply eliminate that functionality from the software if they wanted....Customers are just as responsible when they choose to eliminate emission control devices....Those are federal offenses but the good thing for people is there aren't really any local federal agents around to enforce those laws. When was the last time somone got a ticket from an FBI agent for removing their cats?

Many tuning companies have opted not to accomodate in that regard now because it's easier to target large companies instead of indvidual consumers, not to mention companies have more money than people and just like drugs it's better to catch the dealers rather than the few on the street lol.

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: Skydogs on December 29, 2017, 12:44:36 PM
Yeah must be turned off in the tune or not sure if they sell dummy rear o2s to trick the pcm anymore? Or get high flow cats....

Read the above post....You can't  get "dummy 02 extender" or trick the logic....ANd he already has high flow cats.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

This is funny.... Brad goes out of his way to explain it... and people can't freaking read....

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

firewater88

So, is there any way to get DPs, catted or non, installed and not get a CEL?
These have been on my list for a while (with a decent axle back), I have a tune from Torrie, not flashed on my car anymore and does not have provisions for DPs. Assuming he wouldn't update it if I did get them...
2011 Flex Titanium EB
Retired- 1992 SHO

Skydogs

Brad's post was not up when I replied......
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

StealBlueSho

Quote from: firewater88 on December 30, 2017, 08:10:32 AM
So, is there any way to get DPs, catted or non, installed and not get a CEL?
These have been on my list for a while (with a decent axle back), I have a tune from Torrie, not flashed on my car anymore and does not have provisions for DPs. Assuming he wouldn't update it if I did get them...

Do you have emissions that you need to pass? The only vendor who supplies DPs that will pass emissions is EcoPowerParts...

If you don't need emissions then any DP will work... just tell Torrie you have DPs...

firewater88

Nope. Don't need to pass any emissions in my state. Would like to get a set of non catted DPs but don't want a constant CEL.
Might not be for a while, when I do I'll have Torrie update my tune.
Thanks
2011 Flex Titanium EB
Retired- 1992 SHO

Skydogs

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 30, 2017, 08:02:11 PM
Quote from: Skydogs on December 30, 2017, 10:10:51 AM
Brad's post was not up when I replied......

My bad! I'm sorry!

All good man no big deal. I would have said the same thing!! Lol

Thanks!!
Boost and meth life!!
13 SHO PP  Meth tuned by AJP Turbo!!!!
610" Merlin 8.3 whipple on Meth 1,300 HP Pump gas
17 Thunder Cat 300 HP Tuned
17 X3 Can-am 200 HP Tuned