• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lease and tune experiences

Started by boostedflex, December 28, 2017, 01:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boostedflex

Hey all,

I am very close to pulling the trigger on my tune, does anyone here have experiences with tuning a lease?  I assume if I have an issue and they find the tune/void my warranty I would have issues at the end of the lease (my agreement does mention to not make changes that void the warranty) but nothing states what the penalty would be.   Also the way I read the warranty is if I do decide to buy out the lease then I would have no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

AJP turbo

If I was the dealership I would never give warranty coverage to a tuner vehicle...it's just not fair

Sounds like you found a loop hole that they don't address...well after the dealer or ford puts a motor in on warranty you can be assured the next revision of lease agreement will cover that lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

boostedflex

Hey man, I am not expecting a motor to be covered (also not expecting the motor to go either but I realize it can happen).  More my concern is if I did pay to replace a motor, would I be penalized if I turned in the lease, or when I turn in the lease would the check mode 6 data and try and hit me for penalties.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

FoMoCoSHO

They have never ever checked my ECM on a lease turn in and they wouldn't find anything if they did.

AJP turbo

Im not sure if mode 6 would help them determine anything...seems to be more of a data logger anyway

In a perfect world I think you should be penalized for tuning a leased vehicle

But fortunately for you they most likely will have no reason to investigate

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

It's very unfortunate but found that most Dealers don't care especially if your planning to lease another vehicle from them!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

boostedflex

Sorry if I rubbed some people the wrong way with this, my thought was the end result when you take the legalize out of the equation was no different then trading in a formerly tuned vehicle, but I see other people's points.   I think I am going a different direction now.   I am going to see what the 2019 Explorer brings.  If the sport comes with the 400hp 3.0 liter, I will leave mine stock.   I can then upgrade to it at the end of my lease, and get the additional power I want without a tune.  If the 2019 is not a performance upgrade from what I have, then I will just tune my 17 since I do love it and just buy it out.  That eliminates all additional concerns beyond potentially voiding my warranty, and one way or other gets me the additional power I want, even if it means being patient and waiting till the end of my lease.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

AJP turbo

Nah you are fine no wrong rubbing here

I think you would be fine actually

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Skydogs

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 29, 2017, 08:31:04 PM
Nah you are fine no wrong rubbing here

I think you would be fine actually
X2 power up!!!!
Boost and meth life!!