• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

-13F = No Likey....

Started by SilvererSHO, December 27, 2017, 12:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

We loaded up the two cars and took off for an overnight fishing trip after Christmas.  Slept overnight in the fish house.  Went out to get something out of the car the following morning and both front windows were down and my sunroof was open???  Electrical gremlins?  I tried to start it a couple of hours later when it warmed up to a balmy -8F or so and it wouldn't start.  Tried it 3-4 times.  It would turn over fairly slow and just when it was about ready to take off it would stop cranking.  If it wasn't push button start that evidently stops after 5 seconds of cranking I'm pretty confident it would have started.  So, I hooked up the wifes 2014 Taurus SEL to it with the jumper cables and after letting her car run for 10 minutes or so with the cables hooked up my car popped right off.  It's not the original battery but it's a cheap aftermarket one.  Don't know if it's bad or not so will have to get it tested.  Thinking some electrical gremlins might have drained the battery overnight.  It's a little unnerving knowing I could leave my car overnight somewhere and the damn windows and sunroof will open on it's own.  Anyone ever heard this one before?  I've seen other issues related to cold weather but not this one.  But, it also reminds me of the key FOB shortcut to open your windows on a warm day so if somehow my key FOB that was in my pants pocket on the floor somehow magically did whatever you have to do on the buttons to make it work.  I don't see that happening though.  I used to know how to do this on my old car but not this one.  Any ideas guys?  What's the coldest weather you have ever started your SHO in?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-instantly-lower-your-car-windows-with-the-key-remote/

All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

bpd1151

Battery. Crapped out. Replace it with an MC 850.

Key FOB opened your windows. You likely pressed it by accident, not knowing, or being aware of that feature. Read your owners manual. It explains it.

Finally, starting in cold? For me, -33 a few years back. But that was when I still drove it during the winter. Not anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SilvererSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 27, 2017, 12:07:15 PM
Battery. Crapped out. Replace it with an MC 850.

Key FOB opened your windows. You likely pressed it by accident, not knowing, or being aware of that feature. Read your owners manual. It explains it.

Finally, starting in cold? For me, -33 a few years back. But that was when I still drove it during the winter. Not anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So it looks like you just hold the unlock button for 2 seconds to roll the windows down according to Google?  I'll try it here on my lunch break.  On my old car it was a sequence of buttons you had to push so that's why I thought that would be damn near impossible to do by accident.  So the one time it happens by accident just so happens to be the time my car won't start due to cold weather and a weak battery.  Story of my life....

TSS

Holding down the unlock button for an extended period of time opens your windows and sunroof in the SHO. It does the same thing in the Lincoln MKS. However, it also works in reverse in the Lincoln. In other words, you can press the lock button and hold it and everything will close. At least in the 2010 through 2012 SHO, that function to close all the windows and sunroof with the key fob wasn't there. At the time, some of us laughed and said apparently they trust the Lincoln owners not to close a window on someone's arm, but not the Ford owners. LOL

On one  occasion, in my six years of ownership, I have had all the windows down and roof open when I came out of my office. It's possible that I accidentally hit the fob button for an extended period of time...... Though to this day, I still doubt it........ and I think something else caused it. I have absolutely nothing to prove that though.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

SilvererSHO

So are all 4 windows and the sunroof supposed to open?  I had just the front two and the sunroof open.

bamsho

Just the front and sunroof open.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SilvererSHO

Yup, it works.  Both front windows and the sunroof open.  I find it odd that it's this easy to do though.  Seems like you could accidentally do it fairly often pretty easily just having to hold one button for a few seconds.  Like I said, on my old vehicle you had to push a sequence of buttons.

jbeez

I do believe you can go through the settings in the gauge cluster and disable that functionality if you don't want it.
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

Agentlongwood

-13*F... I didn't realize people were living on Hoth.  As a Florida boy, that just seems so insane.  I don't get along with cold weather, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SHOdded

If you make it too easy, people hate it.  If you make it too cumbersome, people hate it.  LOL, Ford can't win!  Always wanted a flip hardshell cover tho, as fobs end up in many places they shouldnt be ;)

Def have the battery checked with a digital tester that looks not only at voltage but CCAs.  CCAs are more important.  And the higher the reserve capacity the better.  An AGM battery is in your future, and that should prevent recurrences of said gremlins for some time.  Odyssey is the tops providing a huge CCA, but MC Tough Max 850 should be good also.  Similar offerings of the 750 CCA variety are available from a number of sources including Sears, Advance Auto, and Autozone.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on December 27, 2017, 02:59:50 PM
-13*F... I didn't realize people were living on Hoth.  As a Florida boy, that just seems so insane.  I don't get along with cold weather, lol.

-13F isn't that cold.  Cold is when you have to heat propane tanks just to make vapor. ;)

Macgyver

Quote from: SHOdded on December 27, 2017, 03:04:30 PM
If you make it too easy, people hate it.  If you make it too cumbersome, people hate it.  LOL, Ford can't win!  Always wanted a flip hardshell cover tho, as fobs end up in many places they shouldnt be ;)

Yep you cant win but the same would apply to the cover idea. Great idea but people would balk at it saying. "OMG I gotta open the cover every time..... Gawd that sucks"

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Since having the MC-650 battery replaced under warranty have the updated MC BXT-65-850 for three years now and has served me quite well considering the SHO has been my DD!!
The Motorcraft BXT-65-750 is another worthy contender since primarily offered on the PI platform with all its gadgets to protect and serve should be considered!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

You service the battery regularly, right, Z?  What is your secret routine?