• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Potential engine issue- need some help!

Started by Jszudy, December 09, 2017, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

https://youtu.be/0irwbwpuEbQ

Interesting video even tho this is prolly not turbo related.

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on December 19, 2017, 07:35:55 PM
Carbon buildup on the cylinder walls or piston rings

Carbon build up on cylinder walls or piston rings?  I can see that with a grandma driving a carbureted big block, but I can't imagine that happening on a high compression DI turbo motor.  Fuel is still being introduced into the combustion chamber.  Just not onto the backside of the valves.

Carbon build up on the backside of valves is a different story.  Seems to be happening at a rate that is drastic enough to have Ford implementing port injection on DI motors to solve the problem. My thought was more of a chunk of carbon getting dislodged from above the intake valve and being passed through the motor.

Who knows though?  Guess anything is possible.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Hotspots are still present in DI/GTDI engines.  LSPI is new terminology specifically introduced for this tech.  PCV issues continue to plague.  DI injectors get gummed up.  Issues with non-DI motors may have been reduced to some extent, but new problems have been introduced. 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Jszudy

Thanks all! I am talking with Ford, as of now I'm unsure what caused it and one dealer doesn't know. I'd be concerned if I can't nail the root cause and it happened again which is why a motor may be a good option.
I'm working with a service director at Ford who can go to bat on this.

Bottom line is no 40k miles car should have this, it's ridiculous.

I have maintenance records, I took care of it. I'm second owner since 15k.

Cars smokes at idle and hard accelv but not like a smoke show or anything. Oil/carbon type smell, not pure oil.

Carbon buildup noted in this pic

FoshoMatt

I had the same problem I had a bunch of codes but no blinking cel. Took it in they found cylinder 1&6 low I believe. Cracked piston and bent valve I believe. I'll check my paper work I have at home. But without my warranty it was well over 10k for the job