• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil smell when cold

Started by polskifacet, December 15, 2017, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

More issues maybe. Seems like babying the car and cold starts make this oil smell noticable. only notice it at idle. currently under 20f. went for a drive and heated it up a bit. let it idle again for about 10 minutes, no smell. nothing in the catch can, no noticable crank case pressure. could it just be some cold start oil buildup in the cats?
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

Aside from hotpipes, could be a valve cover gasket or timing cover gasket leak.  Valve cover gasket on Bank 1 is a known issue on 2013+, 2013 in particular.  2010-12 it happens more on bank 2 I believe.  Is the intercooler staying clean?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Check for oil leaks! So oil separator is clean?
Fuel strong exhaust smell,smoke of any kind ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

I looked around the engine bay last night. nothing visible or smelly from the front. came in through the vents because I backup into my garage. catch can only as 1-2 ml of oil in it so nothing for 3000 miles.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

glock-coma

I remember a member here having a similar issue with an OCC.
Turned out it was the hose venting because it wasn't rated for oil/fuel. And the vapors were leaking through the vent pin holes
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

polskifacet

So getting oil smell after about 10-15 minutes at idle. wqs able to reproduce this morining.

pmezo33

Check the turbo lines for both turbos.  Might be leaking and dripping down to the exhaust or burning up on the turbos.  It may have been doing it for a while, but oil leaks are a lot more noticeable when it's cold out and you've got the heat on in the car.

polskifacet

Quote from: pmezo33 on December 15, 2017, 10:20:13 AM
Check the turbo lines for both turbos.  Might be leaking and dripping down to the exhaust or burning up on the turbos.  It may have been doing it for a while, but oil leaks are a lot more noticeable when it's cold out and you've got the heat on in the car.
Specifically coming from the exhaust, i have been taking huffs of it lol. I drove about 30 minutes to work, let it idle for another 10+ minutes and smells clean.

polskifacet

Also when i give it a little gas in park, rpms sometimes fall to 400 and it chokes up a little, rpms go back up and idles normally. I just beat on it quite hard and no smoke/smell when its warmed up.

ZSHO

I would check all the lines for a vacuum leak my friend!
It might be a good time to change the front primary 02 sensors for good measures!
I had mine changed @ roughly 52K ! Some food for thought. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

I'm fairly confident that the rear turbo is the culprit. some guys in a fb group that work at a dealer say that the rear turbo is subject to way more heat since its so close to the firewall. Im returning to stock and see if the warranty will work one more time

polskifacet

ZSHO

polskifacet

No noises and the turbines had the slightest amount of side to side movement, nothing in and out. I let it run a little right off the turbo and it wouldn't smoke. I'm leaning towards something in the combustion chamber, the oil rings/ valve guides/seals. Really shitty on a motor with 25k. Tune wasn't crazy and meth should have cooled the darn thing sighhhhhh.

polskifacet

Compression test says 195 -200 psi per cylinder on the dot. scoped each one and they look good. plugs are perfect, cac had a bit of oil but sucked it up.

I'll also replace pcv valve.