• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cleaning intake/valves with canned product. Good idea or not?

Started by paokara777, December 11, 2017, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paokara777

Hi
So I was about to do an intake/valve clean on the SHO and i started googling to find what product seemed to have the best reviews and how well they worked. Lots of good reviews about seafoam, and people use the variant that you feed a line into the throttle body and idle the engine while squirting the can. Then there is the CRC one which you spray into it while you rev it to 3k.

THEN i found a video where a FordTech (?) talks about how any valve cleaner type product can cause turbo failure and to stay away.

Suggestions? My fuel mileage is going down and I'm losing power so I'm sure i have some gunked up valves (motor has 140k on it, i've heard that you start seeing junk even at 10K!!!)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc-gdi-ivd-intake-valve-turbo-cleaner-11-oz.-05319/11019388-P
Or even the seafoam variant that goes into your throttle body.
Daily Drive:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, AJP 3BAR 93, K&N drop in
Weekend Cruiser:
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 C Code
4Bl Carb, HiPo Cam, Headers and Exhaust

SHOdded

Best first step is to scope the problem.  USB borescopes are pretty decent nowadays,  and very affordable.  You could just go in with cleaner, but if there is indeed masses of carbon present, you could break chunks of carbon off and end up killing the turbos.  Ford generslly has done a better job of keeping the coking down in GTDI engines,  but 140k can still be a challenge.

Seafoam is probably ok, it is not a harsh cleaner,   There are now professional  strength cleaners available ftom BG and Valvoline among others that will work better, but again first step. .. scope.  glock-coma has done this before, hope he chimes in.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

paokara777

How can we summon glock-coma so he can chip in on this, i want to do it but kinda worried too.
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Just posting the reply from the PM.
Pretty much exactly what SHOdded mentioned

I've never used seafoam, I had my intake valves cleaned with the bg intake cleaning process awhile back.
The results were not extraordinary....
i have some videos on YouTube showing the results.
Just search sho bg intake cleaning.
I had a bg authorized shop do the service.
I used a bore scope camera to document the before/after results.
While they did get cleaner it seems to clean the first couple cylinder after the throttle body the most.

Depending how dirty or how hard the deposits are, it can cause damage by loosing pieces that are to large.
Then under hard acceleration they can fall off and hit the turbo vanes at high speed.

It seems like it would work better in 1k increments until they a clean rather than all at once.

IMHO the best solution is to remove the intake manifold all together and clean the valve manually
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

I guess with any type of Induction Cleaning would advise precaution especially on high mileage vehicles!

I would be concerned about chunks of carbon forming while entering the Turbos and ultimately damaging the Fins as kindly suggested by SHOdded above!

I had the Ford Dealer perform an Induction cleaning roughly @ 20K due to a rough idle and low mpg and proved to be effective with good results.

Here are a couple links and good articles for ya.  Z

http://easygdi.valvoline.com/

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/press-room/Valvoline%20launches%20groundbreaking%20fuel%20system%20service%20for%20gasoline%20direct-injection%20systems

http://www.underhoodservice.com/solving-carbon-deposits-direct-fuel-injection-engines/

DIY Below!
! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

paokara777

Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

paokara777

Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

paokara777

@ZSHO
You said the Ford dealer did it for you

Do you remember how much it cost?
My SHO is due for an oil change soon might look into getting this done while it's there
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

pmezo33

I had my manifold off recently and took a look at the intake valves and it wasn't pretty.  A lot of gunk and buildup.  I'm at 160k miles with original everything.  I don't think i would use a product like this given the lack of experience anyone has had with these engines and this product and I'm not trying to be the guinea pig here at the expense of my car.

I don't think ford has any approved way of cleaning the valves, but i could be incorrect.  The only option i'd probably consider is a walnut blasting and that's it.  That seems to be the safest way of going about cleaning the valves since everything just gets vacuumed out instead of sucked in.  You spray a product like this down your intake and deposits have only one place to go.

ZSHO

Quote from: paokara777 on December 12, 2017, 11:42:42 AM
@ZSHO
You said the Ford dealer did it for you

Do you remember how much it cost?
My SHO is due for an oil change soon might look into getting this done while it's there
The Ford dealer quoted me $99.00 for the procedure IIRC. 
They did insert the liquid through the Plenum on Top of the intake manifold while the other was a gas additive for the tank.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

shaundizzle15

Does anyone know where one can go to get a manual valve cleaning? Very interested in this as well.
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

Macgyver

You can also install a Meth system to clean it slowly over time and enjoy a mild boost in performance.

ZSHO

If your seeking for a cheaper alternative would just purchase a couple of cans of CRC GDI Cleaner or Amsoil power foam cleaner by removing the vacuum port line high-lighted in Blue and spray some cleaner while the vehicle is running as seen on the video below.
I would only use a small amount over an extended period of time which is probably safer alternative to gradually,effectively clean any carbon buildup or oil blowby that has accumulated overtime.
Its important to note that the instructions should be followed exactly as per manufacturers specs on the can and use @ your own risk may apply here and user results may vary depending on mileage,idling!
The only reason mine was performed was due to a rough idle and poor mpg as stated above!

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm

! No longer available