• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Performance Summer Tire Recommendations

Started by Agentlongwood, December 11, 2017, 05:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I purchased a set of Conti DW extreme contact summer tires from www.discounttire.com a while back in the winter under closeout pricing!
Excellent overall tire with exceptional grip in dry and wet conditions!
Its probably the best time to purchase a set of summer tires in the winter @ cost IMO. Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Joeyfuzz911

Quote from: ZSHO on December 13, 2017, 05:03:36 PM
I purchased a set of Conti DW extreme contact summer tires from www.discounttire.com a while back in the winter under closeout pricing!
Its probably the best time to purchase a set of summer tires in the winter @ cost IMO. Z  :)

Are those Contientals summer or all seasons?  If they are the summers they must be contientals old version because the Contiental Extreme Contact Sports I got are their newest model.  Probably pretty similiar but I though the DW's were all seasons?
2014 SHO nonpp, MDesign intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa catback, H&R springs, 170 tstat, 3 bar map sensor, matte black vinyl wrapped chrome trimming, smoke tinted tail lights, 20x9 +35 offset aftermarket wheels on 275/40 R20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Powerstop z23 brakes and drilled/slotted rotors, 35% tint, MSD coils, NGK 6510 gapped at 0.26 and AJPturbo 3 bar 93 tune.

12.82 @ 106.6mph w/ 1.82 60"

Joeyfuzz911

Quote from: Agentlongwood on December 13, 2017, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: Joeyfuzz911 on December 12, 2017, 09:59:18 PM
I just went from the Primacy to Contiental Extreme Contact Sports (All summers).  I got them form Tirerack for $600 shipped but thats the special price ;)

How does one go about getting this special price?...

I have a friend that works for Continental and got to use his employee discount.  I couldnt pass it up with the discount I was getting.   
2014 SHO nonpp, MDesign intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa catback, H&R springs, 170 tstat, 3 bar map sensor, matte black vinyl wrapped chrome trimming, smoke tinted tail lights, 20x9 +35 offset aftermarket wheels on 275/40 R20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Powerstop z23 brakes and drilled/slotted rotors, 35% tint, MSD coils, NGK 6510 gapped at 0.26 and AJPturbo 3 bar 93 tune.

ZSHO

Quote from: Joeyfuzz911 on December 13, 2017, 07:18:16 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on December 13, 2017, 05:03:36 PM

Are those Contientals summer or all seasons?  If they are the summers they must be contientals old version because the Contiental Extreme Contact Sports I got are their newest model.  Probably pretty similiar but I though the DW's were all seasons?
Correct they are the older version Conti DW Summer tires which were on clearance for a total of $420.00 for a set of four!  Z

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=445YR0ECDWXLOLD&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Taurus&autoModClar=SHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Joeyfuzz911

[/quote]Correct they are the older version Conti DW Summer tires which were on clearance for a total of $420.00 for a set of four!  Z

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=445YR0ECDWXLOLD&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Taurus&autoModClar=SHO
[/quote]

Oh nice!  I didnt see those in 275/40 r20s on Tirerack or Tire buyer.  The sports were 1 of 3 with them being the most of expensive.  The others were the Firestone Firehawks and Nitto NT555 G2's.  Then my buddy told me he could get me a huge discount on Contientals so he gave me his employee info and I got them off Tirerack for $600 shipped. Saved $400 so I couldnt beat that.  Those DW's look good though!  Kind of in between of all season and summers from the deep tread it has. 

timbo

I've had a few sets (going on 80k miles).  There is 1 question though: what size?  Might be a moot point if someone suggests a tire that is not available in your size.

We're lucky that the 20" tire size is the exact same as almost every large performance car (Camaro, Challenger, Charger, etc), so there is a plethora.  I'm on my 4th set:

1.  Eagle F1 Supercars: good at first.  Not anything to call home about.  Harder than most, but overall decent.  Lasted about 20k miles.

2.  Cooper Zeon RS-3S: Great tire.  Excellent grip, very little noise and lasted about 25k miles.  When I first got them (early 2013) they were in the $130 range, now they are over $200.  Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

3.  GoldwinsomechinesecrapIboughtinabind: absolute crap.  Noisy, went against my own preaching of not skimping on tires.  No grip.

4.  Pirelli P-Zero:  Good grip, quiet, awful treadwear.  I rotate at 5k with my oil changes.  Front tires are nearly 1/2 gone.  I'll be lucky to get 10k from these before they are useless in the rain...not optimal in the panhandle of FL.

If I could do it again, I would get the Coopers.  I got the Pirelli's on sale this summer for about $170 per installed, so I had to do it.  Right now, looks like it was not worth it. 

If you know of a place to install them, I would go with discount tire direct.  They usually have some deals going on and if you get their little credit card, it'll save you even more (usually in the form of a Visa Gift Card).
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

NoCallNoSHO

Good topic. I just scored some craiglist summer tires w/ 50 miles on them for $110 each: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 245/45/20 

"good at first" - timbo
2015 SHO nonPP - LMS v11 91 Octane Tune | Intake | Gapped plugs | Thermostat | De-badged | SE "Taurus" Fender badges | Summer & Winter Wheels | Someday Vlogger "My wife doesn't KNO I drive a SHO"

Brucelinc

Has anyone tried Nitto tires?   It seems the Mustang guys think they hook very well - much better than P zeros.   I realize Mustangs and SHOs are entirely different animals but I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried these.

https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt555-g2-ultra-high-performance-tire/

TimmyATL

I run Nitto NT05 in the warmer month (this is a 200 treadwear tire that sticks good) this tire is noisy compared to a normal road tire due to the tread design so just be aware of that. In the colder months and on trips I run Nitto Invo (this is a 260 treadwear tire that rides nice is not noisy and also you can cross rotate tires since they are not directional). 
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

avidmotion

I really had good luck and loved the gmax 03 on my G8 gt rwd, so I was going to do the Gmax 05, then I got the ok from the wife to go summers.....I think i will do 245 45 20 with the new GMAX RS summer tire, word is they are awesome. Walmart online 135 shipped for the 245, 360 AA A
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/game-changer-new-g-max-uhp-breaks-pricegrip-barrier/
Also found a 70 dollar rebate on 4 generals until 4-15-18, form on general site
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

avidmotion

Gmax rs summers very light tire also picked by Saleen for his mustangs. Price is right. I really liked the Cooper Zeon a/s, the stuck like summers and lasted forever. Local mustang club runs the Cooper Zeon summers....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

mjhpadi

Quote from: Macgyver on December 11, 2017, 05:18:04 PM
Lots of tires out there. You will spend less $$$ and get 90% of the Michelin's qualities.
My experience is that both Michelin quality and customer service is terrible.  My Primacy tires were cracked on the side walls and suffered tread separation at less than 10K miles.  Michelin acknowledged that there were defective tires and my batch number was the defective ones, still neither Michelin or the local Michelin dealer would do anything to warranty the tires.  When complaining to Michelin they totally blew me off.  So the tires had to be replaced at 26K miles.  I would NEVER recommend a Michelin product or purchase another Michelin product. They have been the worst auto related company I have ever had experience with when it came to warranty issues.
Replaced my tires with General G-Max and have been very happy with them.  They are wearing great and head and shoulders better tires than the Michelins.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SilvererSHO

Quote from: mjhpadi on April 10, 2018, 01:31:14 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on December 11, 2017, 05:18:04 PM
Lots of tires out there. You will spend less $$$ and get 90% of the Michelin's qualities.
My experience is that both Michelin quality and customer service is terrible.  My Primacy tires were cracked on the side walls and suffered tread separation at less than 10K miles.  Michelin acknowledged that there were defective tires and my batch number was the defective ones, still neither Michelin or the local Michelin dealer would do anything to warranty the tires.  When complaining to Michelin they totally blew me off.  So the tires had to be replaced at 26K miles.  I would NEVER recommend a Michelin product or purchase another Michelin product. They have been the worst auto related company I have ever had experience with when it came to warranty issues.
Replaced my tires with General G-Max and have been very happy with them.  They are wearing great and head and shoulders better tires than the Michelins.

I'm no fan of Michelin either.  The last Michelins I bought for my 2012 Jetta were 80,000 mile tires.  They were almost bald at 40,000 something miles and all I got from Michelin was the runaround trying to get my prorated warranty money.  It seems that you have to have proper documentation you see to prove you rotated them as per their guidelines even when they wear out at around HALF of the warranted mile rating and all four are worn out evenly.  I was told they'd be great in the snow and they were some of the worst tires I've ever had in snow and nothing else about them impressed me either.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

bpd1151

I recall a time when Michelin was claiming products like Armor-All were a contributing cause to premature tire wear.

I found that laughable myself. But then again, I'm no chemical analyst by any means, so who knows.

I wasn't happy with my Primacy's either, and like Mark, I'll steer very clear from any Michelin products.