• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Performance Summer Tire Recommendations

Started by Agentlongwood, December 11, 2017, 05:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

Looking to get some input on tires.  Getting to be about time to replace the Michelin Primacy all seasons that came on my car.  I absolutely love the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I had on my last car, but holy hell they are expensive for our sizes.  I cant swing $1200 for tires.  What are some good alternatives to the Super Sports?  Looking for a summer tire with good dry/wet traction and low noise.  Do not care about snow/ice whatsoever, as I live in central Florida.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Macgyver

Lots of tires out there. You will spend less $$$ and get 90% of the Michelin's qualities.

SHOdded

I would start with reviews on tirerack.com. usually consistent  with my experience.   Mavis tire, discount tire are other sources.

I think you would find the Continental  DWS06 pretty good despite being all seasons.  Also the BFG Comp 2.  Tread life usually is why Michelin costs so much, so be sure to keep that in mind.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

I usually get tires at Costco, and they do carry the Sport Comp 2... For about $400 cheaper than the Pilot Super Sports.  I've heard that they are loud though.  Which makes me wary since these cars in particular are crazy about sounds coming through the suspension or floor.  For real I was next to a Harley at a light and I could feel the exhaust pulses through the floor of my car.  Everything else is very well insulated, but damn... the floor and suspension, not so much.

I have been reading a lot of reviews on tires.  I just wanted to get some input from folks running the same platform as me, who have personal experience.  I trust you jokers a lot more than I trust the people who post I tirerack.

FoMoCoSHO

For a dedicated summer, I'm going with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Surprisingly good reviews.

Allegedly very light and very sticky.

https://www.firestonetire.com/discover/summer

Macgyver

You will want two things as you have stated. Quiet and good wet traction. Keep those in mind.

Joeyfuzz911

I just went from the Primacy to Contiental Extreme Contact Sports (All summers) in 275/40 r20s.  Had them on for 2 weeks before switching over to my snow wheels.  They gripped better (even being 50 out at the time), much smoother, they are quite and look great.  I got them form Tirerack for $600 shipped but thats the special price ;)
2014 SHO nonpp, MDesign intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa catback, H&R springs, 170 tstat, 3 bar map sensor, matte black vinyl wrapped chrome trimming, smoke tinted tail lights, 20x9 +35 offset aftermarket wheels on 275/40 R20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Powerstop z23 brakes and drilled/slotted rotors, 35% tint, MSD coils, NGK 6510 gapped at 0.26 and AJPturbo 3 bar 93 tune.

12.82 @ 106.6mph w/ 1.82 60"

lamrith

Consider the Conti DW which is the summer tire (DWS is the all season as SHOdded mentioned).  I had them on my STS-V, they handled very well, good ride, reasonable noise.  Also had good hold in wet which was a important factor here in WA.

I was thinking Comp2 when my SHO gets to that point, but I think SBS has them and has not been impressed (course he has a AJP meth tune, not sure any tire can really handle that sort of abuse well!)
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

bamsho

Ran the Firestone Indy 500 tires this year.   I was very impressed with them.   Highly recommend them.  First summer tires I have bought and priced reasonably.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

derfdog15

I ran the sport comp 2s, on my AMRs when I had the SHO, and I loved them. Pretty decent grip for an A/S, and could handle any condition thrown at em.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

irondoor19

275/40ZR-20 Pirelli P Zero's - STICK LIKE GLUE
I got them on sale @ Tire Rack on a close out, 2 Years @ Like 115.00 A piece
Keep Looking for the Deals till the end of the year,

I needed some Goodyear RS-A 245/55 18's for the 2013 PI,
found them on Ebay Today for 110.00 EA Delivered ;D
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SilvererSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 11, 2017, 08:35:02 PM
For a dedicated summer, I'm going with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Surprisingly good reviews.

Allegedly very light and very sticky.

https://www.firestonetire.com/discover/summer

I agree.  I did a lot of research before I bought mine.  Reviews are good, price is right and I couldn't be happier with mine.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: Joeyfuzz911 on December 12, 2017, 09:59:18 PM
I just went from the Primacy to Contiental Extreme Contact Sports (All summers).  I got them form Tirerack for $600 shipped but thats the special price ;)

How does one go about getting this special price?...

Agentlongwood

Quote from: lamrith on December 13, 2017, 11:31:47 AM
Consider the Conti DW which is the summer tire (DWS is the all season as SHOdded mentioned).  I had them on my STS-V, they handled very well, good ride, reasonable noise.  Also had good hold in wet which was a important factor here in WA.

I was thinking Comp2 when my SHO gets to that point, but I think SBS has them and has not been impressed (course he has a AJP meth tune, not sure any tire can really handle that sort of abuse well!)

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they split the DW into the "ExtremeContact Sport" for summer and DWS for all season.  As for the Sport Comp 2, they seem great for the price, but are a tier below the ExtremeContact Sport.  I think Continental positioning the ECS to compete with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.  I think I saw a website that  listed both as "Max Performance" while the Comp 2 is "Ultra Performance" or whatever ridiculous marketing term. 

lamrith

Quote from: Agentlongwood on December 13, 2017, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: lamrith on December 13, 2017, 11:31:47 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they split the DW into the "ExtremeContact Sport" for summer and DWS for all season.  As for the Sport Comp 2, they seem great for the price, but are a tier below the ExtremeContact Sport.  I think Continental positioning the ECS to compete with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.  I think I saw a website that  listed both as "Max Performance" while the Comp 2 is "Ultra Performance" or whatever ridiculous marketing term.
That could very well be, and honestly it is a smart move on their part unlike the naming they used on the tired before

DW, DWS..  That is the reason I clarified in my post I was talking summer only.  I have seen a number of forums where someone is recommending the summer "DW's" (meaning DW in plural as a set)  But people read it as the all season tire...   :oops:

Changing the name to "Extreme contact sport" is a good move.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.